Moon Jellyfish

Go down

Moon Jellyfish Empty Moon Jellyfish

Post  RubberSoul on 14th November 2011, 5:05 am

Hi Guys, I just stumbled upon your forum and its great to find a group who know something about collection of marine creatures in Queensland. Do any of your members collect invertebrates? Moon Jellyfish exhibits are one of the most popular exhibits at public aquariums, but dispite the species being prolific all around Australia I cannot find any commercial source to buy Moons for a personal aquarium.
Do any of your community collect on a commission basis? Please help point me in the direction of a supplier of this creature.

RubberSoul

Back to top Go down

Moon Jellyfish Empty Re: Moon Jellyfish

Post  liquidg on 14th November 2011, 10:06 am

Sorry rubbersoul,we are a club of hobbyists, though a couple of us have worked commercially in the distant past, none of us do any of that type of thing any more.

I know the creature you speak of, that is if itís a broad and not overly deep jellyfish with no defined tendrils, just a skirt.

This one time, a part from lots of very small similar shaped ones, if itís the right species, one was seen on a trip down to the northern NSW coast, the one seen was in excess of two feet in diameter in dirty water, a good way to get the heart rate up,lol.

That was seen before underwater photos or taking pictures of collected species were part of our trips,shame,there have been some jaw dropping collecting trips had,not just in my 30 years,but some stories from an older member or two,that are still alive,would have been very interesting to experience!

We donít do anything on a commercial basis but we know of two busy commercial collectors, one is on our forum and just likes to check out the trips, but wants no contact details given out, we can ask both if they could collect such a thing.

Back to top Go down

Post  RubberSoul on 14th November 2011, 2:20 pm

Thanks Liquidg, Yep, the jellyfish is as you describe. I used to see them fairly regularly when i was fishing more frequently, usually in relatively large schools.

I have a pretty ambitious tank planned, looking for 30+ smaller moons. If you could put in a word to any collectors that this community knows would be great. I am very keen to find someone to work with on this project.

RubberSoul

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 17th November 2011, 3:38 am

Iím sorry rubbersoul there is no go with the moon jellyfish,infact for some reason one collector had no idea of them and he works from the mid barrier reef to the border, so the ones i know of are no help.

I was surprised in a way but understand why, when I have seen them they are shallow and these guys work mainly on hookah and thatís not always used in the shallows due to the hose going up on the rocks/reef and swell and current affected.

Sorry canít help.

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on 20th November 2011, 3:53 am

We have found some one that can help you rubbersoul,he is an endemic collector and knows all about them and is sending his number to us,once we get it one of us will pm it to you.

Admin

http://southeastqueenslandm.aforumfree.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down