A 32l tank for my 4 year old

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A 32l tank for my 4 year old

Post  RedDragon on 15th December 2011, 3:12 pm

After doing well at her dance concert, my 4yo daughter got a 32l tank as a reward (or is it for me after sitting 3 hours of crap dancing Sleep ). Im going to make it a bit of a fish/invert tank with live rock. no corals or clams, the lighting isnt up to it. my daughter just wants hermit crabs and clown fish but I think I will add a bit more than that Smile Tonight we set it up, washed the sand and filled it with sea water (we live on the beach so its too easy). I have a rio nano skimmer and a powerhead for some water movement. Sunday Im going to get a few kg of cured live rock and get the cycle going. We are keen to go on some of the collecting trips, just so she can explore some tidepools more than collecting. I will post some pics as we go.
RedDragon

Back to top Go down

Re: A 32l tank for my 4 year old

Post  liquidg on 16th December 2011, 1:20 am

Sounds good Reddragon.

Our youngest loves spear fishing, she’s 23 and our oldest, she got into the reef aquarium hobby as well way back and came along collecting for years, you could almost say she became a new fish species her self, the speed at which she moved through the water after some years practice was amazing and could duck dive down a fair ways as well and she has asthma.

The things your daughter will learn about the ocean amongst this will seem miniscule on the surface, even that young it will give her an insight and influence her beyond her peers on something most do not realise, not just on its enormous diversity but we would not exist with out the ocean!

The aquarium hobby and collection of the aquariums inhabitants makes the whole thing much more diverse, educational and far more enjoyable, look forward to seeing this on going adventure for you and your family.

cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  RedDragon on 18th December 2011, 12:33 pm

I picked up some live rock rock epoxy and some new led lights today at Reef Secrets Aquariums today. I still need a tank backing and few more bits to fill the tank up. The frag epoxy is excellent it making structures that wont fall down.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
RedDragon

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 27th December 2011, 1:25 am

The tank over all looks very neat reddragon,nice! cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  RedDragon on 30th December 2011, 11:24 am

a little update. I added another bit or rock, and black backing. We has a family day at the local creek and collected a few small hermit crabs to keep things tidy. To cycle the tank a nice bright pair of oscalaris clowns (named Pumpkin and Sunflower) will brighten things up. When its all stable I will add an anenome and a dottyback or royal geramma.

[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/img]
RedDragon

Back to top Go down

Post  RedDragon on 1st May 2012, 3:30 pm

Update.
The tank is doing well with lots or coaraline and other large alge growing. There are lots of hitchhiker snails (even an abalone), verry small hermit crabs (from the creek) and a brittlestar. We have 2 clowns and 1 yellow tail blue damsel. I recently added some pepermint shrimp to controll the start of an apistia outbreak. worked a treat.
Waterchanges are weekly (if its not pissing down) 50% with natural seawater. I live on the beach so its too easy.
With the rain I have hade some red cyano outbreaks here and there but as long as I get the water just before high tide it goes away.
RedDragon

Back to top Go down

Post  finfan on 1st May 2012, 5:02 pm

Very cool -looking good....its great to see the progress

I bet you little girl is loving it - especially with pumpkin and sunflower.... Very Happy

Keep the pics coming... sure is a bonus living on the beach would make water changes easyyyyyyy.....
Cool

finfan

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 2nd May 2012, 9:25 am

You have a tropical abalone!

Mate could you get a pic of it for me,i would love to add it to one of the forums sections on life found in the south east,we find them up the coast but with the rain events they have all been wiped out.

cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  RedDragon on 3rd May 2012, 12:05 pm

RedDragon

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 3rd May 2012, 1:06 pm

Looks great mate, if you can get a pick of the abalone that would be cool.

I like the macro algae in there, I use to have that one in the display tank but the algae eaters in there annihilated it!

Its actually at its most common at a gold coast site, did you get it your self?

Back to top Go down

Post  marineman on 3rd May 2012, 2:31 pm

hahhah i call that weed the dreaded disc weed from hell lol! the only way i got rid of it was by
adding a scribbled rabbit fish.
marineman

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 3rd May 2012, 3:17 pm

All caulerpa is potentially invasive, but this one is good because it does some nutrient importing and is non toxic so algae eaters will keep it down.

If any caulerpa tries top get out of hand, wash your hands and then reach in and remove some of it, to easy.

I have a type in my display tank that the algae eaters leave alone until I put in a biscuit star, now it keeps it down a bit, it doesn’t bother me, if it grows,not where it want it to, in go the hands.

If the algae is growing well, you are loosing some unwanted nutrients via absorption through its membrane to be photosynthesised into food for it and valuable trace elements released into the waters for your corals, if you have any, this is called importing, pull it out by culling it, this is called exporting the nutrients out of the waters,its all good.

Back to top Go down

Post  RedDragon on 8th May 2012, 3:42 pm

Pics of the abalone (and a perpermint shrimp). It has a small shell to body ratio similar to Haliotis Asinina but is not as frilly. Im not sure what species it is but it demolishes green and brown algae.

RedDragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top