My 120 gallon Reef - In progress

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My 120 gallon Reef - In progress

Post  120reef on 27th December 2011, 2:42 pm

Thought i'd chuck some pics up of my tank, been running for 5 months now, although seeded it with water, media, macroalgae etc from my old 4x18x18 (running as reef for 2 years, now just a fish only/QT tank as transferred the chiller). Added first fish 2 weeks after setup, corals and chiller transferred after 1 month. More fish added here and there.

Have had few dramas, lost a Blue Tang 1 week after coral transfer, looked like crypt/white spot, although all other fish fine.
Lost a Coral beauty about a month after that, although think it was due to stress from addition of Bicolour Angel, was no physical fighting between the 2 angels just displays to each other, died bout 5 days after addition. Also after CB died it showed minor white spot-ish specks??. Corals doing fairly well, odd anemone issue but it seems to have found its place now, local Xenia??? species (see pic) looking a little sad n not sure why???.
Added a new Blue tang 1 week ago, seemed to be fine and was feeding first few days then went timid and began showing slime coat deterioration...a day later and white spot murder...a QT fish so guessing disease is in my tank??

My current solution is building waste removal system for base of display tank with no substrate to create a tank where no particles can settle and feed these nasties, construction underway just a bit more planning to make it look good and a a day off work to finish the job. Will take pics.

It is a work in progress and any comments/suggestions would be appreciated. Pics a bit dodgy - camera phone, will get some better ones as it progresses.

Specs:

The Display is 5x2x2 Bayfront custom (480ltrs)

Sump is 100ltrs and includes in order Durso silencer, prefilter, wet/dry calc media section, algae section (mixed species although one is beginning to take over!), custom prefilter, return (AquaOne 3600ltr/hr powerhead), chiller (Hailea HC300A).

Also running 2 turf algae screens which are lit by the displays halides and actinic tubes lights and drain straight into display (see pics).

Current Fish
3 x occelaris clowns (bought from breeder)
2 x Zebra Dartfish (bought)
1 x Purple Dartfish (bought)
2 x Blue Green Chromis (bought)
1 x Sixline Wrasse (bought)
1 x Arc-Eye Hawkfish (bought)
1 x Banana Wrasse (collected)
1 x Lawnmower Blenny (collected)
1 x Bicolour Angel (collected)
1 x Valentini Puffer (collected) being coral friendly atm but may remove him
1 x Pixie Hawkfish (collected)

Coral is all collected species, not to sure on species name but have bit of idea on families, anyone know any good coral identification resources???

Front Angle 27.12.2011 - Glass due for a clean, although never clean rear walls and overflow.

Tank and Stand

My Bicolor, banana and a couple of the locally collected corals

Side angle 27.12.2011 - Glass definitely needs a clean

Side Angle 2 27.12.2011

Local Xenia??? species is on left. Is only coral that has reduced in size, and half of it hasn't expanded in last few days, little worried. Water parameters sitting stable and everything else has been fine, any suggestions? And what is it?

Turf Scrubber - Currently lit by halides(left) and actinic tubes(right), will need to find a new lighting solution for these as have LED Crees on route to replace the halides, T5s and reduce my power costs! Anyone know where I can get T8 Led Tubes? have seen them on forums but can find a seller other than wholesale?

Way to many questions in there but any help is appreciated, cheers
120reef

120reef

Back to top Go down

Re: My 120 gallon Reef - In progress

Post  redsoxbill on 27th December 2011, 4:38 pm

looks very nice. I Think I can help with a few things.

[list][*]Corals doing fairly well, odd anemone issue but it seems to have found its place now, local Xenia??? species (see pic) looking a little sad n not sure why???. This is a good thing, xenia is a filterfeeder, and does the best in water or tanks where there is a large amount of waste (foating debris) when the tank is clean, and has a system for cleaning, xenia does not thrive.

[list][*]anyone know any good coral identification resources??? I have used the following site page to locate,and identify several coral species, and have submitted a couple myself. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hope this helps. Great Job.

redsoxbill

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 28th December 2011, 5:46 am

Very true bill,thatís why I use algae as the first stage of my NWMS and no skimmer or anything activated any more!

Oh,plus I feed my tank the extensive mix we make up as tiny feeds any where from 5 to 40 times a day.

Tubeworms,non photo synthetic corals and goni over the long term have similar needs.

Hey,I like your scrubbers, very cool and they are doubling as dry sections as well, very smart!

Good to see others ideas cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  120reef on 28th December 2011, 1:22 pm

Cheers for feedback Very Happy

Coral site is awesome - cheers bill

Regards to the Xenia issue: as sad as it is to say may have give on this specimen Sad as my current work commitments restrict me from feeding more than 4 times a day, feed a similar home made mix to your recipe liquidg (may change it a little after reading yours, obviously working well by look of your tank), guess its just not enough for him Sad. Any other types of coral I should avoid/have similar feeding requirements?

120reef

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 28th December 2011, 3:01 pm

Well that also covers sea fans-goronia, most of your dendronephthya-thistle corals,all the tubastraea group-sunburst corals and scolymia to some degree.

There are most likely more but at the moment I canít think of any others, you see I have mainly only kept these along with many other soft and hard corals that are local, I have very rarely bought anything!

I hope that helps in some way.

With the food thing,if any one else is home at any stage, what I do is have my fish food in a squeeze bottle and get my other half to put in a squirt now and than while I am at work or before she goes out, than when I get home I some times put in a squirt when ever I think of it as the food is salt saturated so it can be left out of the fridge for ages to remind me to give the tank and tubs a squirt here and there.

Dosing pumps or auto feeders are useless with the foods I use!

Oh and I donít use a skimmer, or anything like the skimmer live rock combo, they can have their draw backs, the algae support and pre filter I use has no draw backs for these types of life forms that rely on some waste for food and other continual foods, unless I screw up!

I had a huge problem recently with the algae part of the NWMS when I added an algae from an out wide collecting trip and didnít clean it,these pests that came on the algae got in and I lost three of my acro stags,chewed on some xenia and I had to get rid of the soft corals,not the remaining xenia,its harmless.

The xenia has all grown back now but that reminded me of how my laziness can cause big hassles and how absolutely dependant on the algae support my system is, I knew to clean the algae and all soft corals before adding to the aquarium and couldnít be bothered, oh well!

Back to top Go down

Post  120reef on 30th December 2011, 12:32 pm

Yeah that helps heaps, thanks mate, your advice is priceless!

Have pretty much lost the xenia now only bout 1/4 still hanging on:(, everything else seems to be doing fine. Have few days off this week, will have to make up a new mix with some extra salt, acquire some squirt bottles n get all the flatmates in on the feeding. Hopefully get the substrate removed/detritus control system installed as well.

120reef

Back to top Go down

Post  120reef on 17th January 2012, 3:09 am

Hey Guys

Have taken much of the advice on this site and made some changes to my tank and all seems to be going very well:). Shifted sump config around a bit and have been feeding bout 15-20 small feeds a day (got housemates and better half onto it now, Liquidg recipe/method works a treat). Ammonia, nitrite at 0, nitrate 0-5, phosphate 0:), pH sitting steady at 8.3, calcium at 400-420 (dosing 5-10ml Seachem Reef Complete once a week), alk at 9 (dosed a half teaspoon of reef buffer bout a month ago and sitting steady since). Moved Xenia which I was losing into more current and with more feeding the 1/4 that is left is looking as healthy as ever!

Got half of my LED banks last week, put halides to shame in brightness and no heat!! Chiller was having battle during hot days last week, should be a little easier for it now. Other LED should be here this week then no more halides! Also removed large amount of collected beach rock from the tank after advice it was a partially iron based rock and may cause problems down the track as it breaks down. Tank looks heaps better without it and allowed me to add a few changes to help reduce detritus build up in display.

Only problem having still is Aiptasia anemones, not affecting any of the corals yet but have a few popping up. Have been on search for peps with no luck, any suggestions would be good.

A fews pics after the changes

My Six Line amongst the reef

Looking up, not hard to tell which half has the LEDs

My Bicolor and whats left of the Xenia colony in the foreground extended and looking much better.

Macro-algae section - looks rough but nothing works better

Thanks heaps for all the advice on here its definitely helping:)

120reef

Back to top Go down

Post  finfan on 17th January 2012, 5:34 am

Looking great - Peps are the go for that Aiptasia problem, I had heaps of the pest, so got a crew together and in 3 days all gone !

Just keep searching - you will find them, its amazing what else you find along the way which make it fun....

well done on the rework and outcome, sound like your getting it sorted now - great forum this for that type of thing !

Cool

finfan

Back to top Go down

Reef Update.

Post  120reef on 23rd February 2012, 3:32 pm

Been a while since last post, thought i'd put up a few pics of tank and changes over last month.

Finally got LEDs installed after last post and tank is looking great/next power bill will be down:) also removed majority of substrate now.
Modified the screen scrubber system to more compact/enclosed unit (reducing evaporation), still working well, also added 10ltr reverse flow coral rubble/grit filter and water quality has been perfect, not a single spike in anything and have not had to dose calcium in last month. Still have few aiptasia, they are not multiplying in the display but have a fair few appearing in the sump/macroalgae section, havent caused an issue in the display yet, need to get some peps before the do though (just need my rare days off to align with some tides and weather).

Have had problems with my Doreensis anemone still not happy with its position in the tank (covering overflow box in previous pics, which was ideal), and has roamed a lot since the LED changeover causing a few tank rearranges as she moves around killing the other corals on the way, currently got it boxed in the rear corner hoping it settles down soon. Everything else going ok, few of the acans have changed colour since LED changeover and rearranging, anyone know why? they still seem quite healthy. Xenia colony is thriving under changed feeding and almost back to original size. Have done around 15% water change over last couple of weeks although was not needed as haven't had phosphate reading above 0.025 and nitrate above 5. Just had extra when doing few water changes in QT tank. Going stop all water changes now system is running well and see how long it can sustain quality on evap top up only. Thanks again for all info on this forum don't think tank would be this good without it:)
Tank Front Angle

Tank Side Angle

Few Different Soft Corals Above and Acans Below

Ringe Eyed Hawkfish and Small Acropora Frag

Unknown Acan Species - Has Changed Colour Dramatically since changeover to LEDs and Repositioning closer to light

Another unknown local acan

120reef

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 24th February 2012, 2:35 am

Looking good mate, if you get peps that arc eye hawk and a little predation from the gobies and wrasse as well will over time reduce the peps numbers!

When I put my LEDs over the tank the corals acted as if their original colours were gone and they went into shock and I thought they would die.

After lots of trials of things and moving stuff and watching,I found that it was just the LEDs do not have the resistance and actual sun light UVR,once the corals settled down they seem far better off now.

One thing though, under just white and blue diodes the red variations in the photosynthetic algae the corals take out of the tanks waters that they utilize, they do not do well, so the colours from purple-blue-blue green-green-greenyellow algae with in the waters that the corals will grab and store in their cells,will be mostly the only colours that do well under just blue and white diodes!

Non photosynthetic corals such as thistle, tubustria, gorgonia and so on, their reds and orange variations do fine, but geez they need a lot of feeds to keep them going!

The acans seem to do the best with reds under LEDs more so than stags and plates.

Keep with the updates,the tank looks great!

Back to top Go down

Post  Dazza on 24th February 2012, 10:04 pm

We found the same results with the led lights,no matter it was worth the change over,the halides used to cook the tanks and things took just weeks to settle down to much better than before.
Cool shaped tank dude cheers

Dazza

Back to top Go down

Post  marineman on 3rd May 2012, 3:41 pm

can someone tell me what that goby in the top left side in the 14 th photo from the bottom is?

i caught one here in sydney and love to know what it is,its like a leopard spotted goby looking thing.

Last edited by marineman on 10th May 2012, 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
marineman

Back to top Go down

Post  marineman on 10th May 2012, 2:48 pm

marineman wrote:can someone tell me what that goby in the top left side in the 11 th photo from the bottom is?

i caught one here in sydney and love to know what it is,its like a leopard spotted goby looking thing.

Bump anyone? oops i meant to say 14 photo from the bottom,edited the original post already.
marineman

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 10th May 2012, 3:06 pm

Can you show which pic you mean?

I can only see an arc eye and a blenny,i dont know which pic to look at.

Back to top Go down

Post  marineman on 11th May 2012, 12:20 pm

hi

yes count from the last photo up, 14th photo from the bottom up and it has a six line wrass in the middle and a green coral with the spotted looking blenny top left side.

i know its not a lawn mower blenny.
marineman

Back to top Go down

Post  marineman on 18th May 2012, 2:18 pm

BUMP ......

hi

yes count from the last photo up, 14th photo from the bottom up and it has a six line wrass in the middle and a green coral with the spotted looking blenny top left side.

i know its not a lawn mower blenny..
marineman

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 18th May 2012, 2:51 pm

Yeh,I have two of them In my reef tank,I havenít identified it yet,the thread is a working progress, have a look at this link and get to the pineapple fish and itís the fish just past the next,past the pixi hawk fish and then the blenny.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down

Post  marineman on 18th May 2012, 3:03 pm

AHHHHH yes i see, amazingly i caught mine on a very low tide here in sydney,how is it that you can have them in such
a tropical climate or vica versa?

marineman

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 18th May 2012, 3:45 pm

At the moment we are experiencing strong ocean currents from south to north, at these times we get southern species recently born into the plankton to be moved north, this happens twice a year at the finish and then the start of warmer waters, the next is around late August, last years August blast is possibly when it came here, sensed reef sounds or just to big to be in the plankton and found a home here as is the way 95 percent of all marine life is moved around the globe.

If it werenít for the equator, things would certainly be different.

Plus our summer ocean temps are getting lower as of 15 to 10 years back so they are in bigger numbers now and are doing well here, more so on the gold coast, not much north of there.

Our summer surface temps used to get to 31c,now they are lucky to hit 28c,also our winter water temps are higher as well, they used to get down to 14 to 16c on the outer reefs in the dead of winter, now the lowest surface temp is 17.+c.

Mine are huge now at around 60 mil, argumentive little pests, but try getting them out of a reef tank, such is life.
See yah.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top