New 4ft reef tank

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New 4ft reef tank

Post  Sahara on 26th January 2012, 1:35 pm

G'day all.

As i promised a few photo's of my new tank. Sorry about quality etc. It is a 4ft x1.5 x 1.5. I wanted to get it going before i shut down my other tanks as to use the mature media and rock. I have 3 returns to the tank, 1 from the chiller and 2 from the sump and refugium.
Main lights are 4ft t5ho, 8 off. Mixture of 10000k and 14000k with actinic. 1 moonlight for after lights out. Main lights are on for 13hrs and fuge for 17hrs.

Filter is 2.2ft sump with a added 300 x 400 refugium. Tank wier overflows with durso type and then down to sump which consists of
Filtersock then a chamber with skimmer and thru to biological chamber that has about 20L of sintered glass of which half is from a mature reef tank system When i started it up. After this it goes thru floss and then thru activated carbon and finally back to the tank.

The fuge was added on and this was a problem but plumbed it after the skimmer chamber with a small pump which then fows out in the return camber to the tank. The chiller pump (external) takes its water from theoverflow wier and this also passes thru a uv sterilizer.

The "live rock" is man made and full of coraline algae from the other tank. I have got substrate but it is only for looks and is about a half inch thick. i only ever use shell grit.
I will post some more pics as i have moved the bit of livestock i had left to the tank. But i have another problem now that i have to sort out first. I bought a cbb and a bicolor angel from the lfs and they are'nt eating. i was assured they were but i cannot see them eat.

At the moment parameters are
nitrite 0
nitrate 0
ph 8.3
gh 180
kh 240
SG 1024
Temp constant 24C
Additives are litlle iodine and some calcium which i mix myself.
Oh yes, the refugium has led lighting but i still need to get more algae for it. Not sure where yet.

well thats it for the moment. Any advice or comments good or bad will be appreciated. feel fre to comment.

Sahara

Back to top Go down

Re: New 4ft reef tank

Post  liquidg on 26th January 2012, 2:27 pm

Looks good sahara!

keep your substrate clean and very shallow and fill that area of the tubes,i forget their name,to the top with calcium media of 30ish mil sized chunks of pores corals,this will help with KH and PH plus reduce white spot by allowing other portists to eat them and help remove extra nitrates later on and help to not allow any nitrite fluctuations over time!

The filter wool section,if it is a pre filter,it has to be cleaned or replaced each 3 to 5 days or it will become bio active and when you move it or clean or replace it the balance of protsists will be lost and will destabilise PH here and there.

You can make a squareish bag out of wadding glued together with silicon to sit in there to be cleaned easily under the tap and spare ones in the washing machine each 2 to 4 days,it will give you a good water quality result you didnt intend on getting!

A part from that it all looks pretty good sahara!

Just remember you can not have to much clean bio area out side the aquarium,just to little!!!!!!

Oh and make sure nothing exits your aquarium,it has to be pre filtered before it gets to your sump area!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sahara on 26th January 2012, 2:59 pm

Thanks Liquidg

I will fill them fill coral rubble. And yes i do change the filter wool every 3 or so days. All the tank water goes thru a filter sock before it goes thru the sump. normally what i do is have a canister filter with rubble or something similar that i run with slow flow, I fit an extra valve and close it off until it only just runs. This has always worked for me as a denitrator, but i dont have the space in this cabinet though.

But as you suggested if i fill the spaces inbetween with rybble i could get a similar effect.
Thanks for the advice etc. I will post pics as i go. In the meantime i will start to get the gear together for the 7x2x2. But this will take some time too.
Thanks again

Sahara

Back to top Go down

Post  marineman on 3rd May 2012, 3:26 pm

any updates? bounce
marineman

Back to top Go down

Sorry for the delay

Post  Sahara on 16th October 2012, 1:05 pm

Hi Guys
Sorry i havent been back. I have moved and didnt get time till now to post anything again. However the tank is still going and here are a few pics of where i am now. Unfortunately i now have to use saltmixes as i no longer stay near the coast. Everything is still exactly the same as when i started but i am busy getting glass etc to build a bigger and better filter. Also i am looking at getting led lights. i will post more from now on. There are afew new additions in the tank that are still recovering. I bought them from a fish shop and they must have been in his tanks for a while and were not great at all with exception of two or three pieces.
Well here they are. Will be back with more.
[IMG][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
This is what it looks like now

Sahara

Back to top Go down

Post  Sahara on 16th October 2012, 1:06 pm

sorry here is the whole tank

Sahara

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content