My first Aquarium ever..

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My first Aquarium ever..

Post  mykez on 6th February 2012, 5:40 pm

I thought I'd start to contributing something to the forum, hopefully the future progress will be a little more impressive. I finally got a decent amount of live rock to play with and create a structure to add some coral to. Pretty happy with my first attempt at "aquascaping" if i don't say so myself. I don't think the photos really do it justice, plenty of space behind to hide and quite a few arches to swim through.

Last edited by mikezea6 on 29th March 2012, 3:27 am; edited 2 times in total
mykez

Back to top Go down

Re: My first Aquarium ever..

Post  liquidg on 7th February 2012, 12:49 pm

Hey Mike, your tanks surface water has a developing surface tension problem, look at the way the surface bubbles are sitting, this will put your tanks water at the edge of a PH crash at all times ready for something to tip it over.

This means the waters in the aquarium are locked in via excessive protein at the surface remaining unbroken like a plastic bag on the water.

You need to fix that mate, itís a very common problem to first timers.

The exit of your water has to skim the surface to get it out and break it up, plus there has to be a constant directional current aimed up to violently break up the waters surface to help out as well, this is very important for gas exchange.

Gas exchange means, oxygen in,co2 out, nitrogen out, room levels of co2 in to balance with tank co2 levels-very important and if violent enough, ammonia out as well.

To skim your water means the very top layer of your water over flows out of your tank and is worked on after a disturbance, like running down a pipe, anything that makes violent movement to this surface water, these help with gas exchange.

A skimmer will only do a little of this job and one day it will not be enough and it will crash.

Its all a learning curb mate so we can collect and watch these collected life forms enjoy life in the suburbs,lo.

Back to top Go down

Post  finfan on 7th February 2012, 11:48 pm

Just point the outlet of your simmer box jet up towards the surface so it breaks the surface water up, I faced mine up and towards one end of the tank, this breaks the surface tension and creates a nice current around the tank. You can get another internal style power head just to blast water around the coral chunks, facing the other way but again breaking the surface and it will greatly reduce the above issues.

Main thing with that filter is to change/wash in fresh water the top baskets wool pads all 3, every 2-3 days and change the black carbon out every 2-4 weeks, mine was on a overstocked 4x18x18 tank so it was working pretty hard - but I thought it is a great system.

Looks good mate, can't wait to see the progression photos - I too like the way you set it out -plenty of spots to swim/hide so they feel safe but still good open swimming space - hmmmmm we can find some pretty cool critters for that kind of set up..... let's go!
Cool

finfan

Back to top Go down

Post  mykez on 8th February 2012, 9:23 am

Thanks for the advice guys. I've been planning to get a power head or two but i am flat out broke!!!! I've just been skimming water off the top for the time being. Made the mistake of not monitoring pH as well and had a couple of fish get fin rot. I've been treating them for 8 hours in hospital tank each day with some gram negative over the counter antibiotics. Three days in and they seem to be getting better. I'll let you know how it goes, I'm hoping they'll pull through.
mykez

Back to top Go down

Post  fishnthings on 10th February 2012, 11:40 am

your rockscape looks good Mike Smile looking forward to seeing your tank some more when its more established .
obviously by what i have seen so far you will learn lots from the expertise that the guys have on offer here @ Liquidg is it learning curb or curve ?> lol i have wandered this over the years as many say either..

fishnthings

Back to top Go down

Post  mykez on 29th March 2012, 3:30 am

Just a couple of pics of the specimens I've stocked the tank with so far.

Most of the gang out and about

can you spot the lawnmower blenny?? haha it's like where's wally
mykez

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 29th March 2012, 8:05 am

Very nice set up with the live rock Mike,it will allow for some reasonable bio surface area,not many live rock set ups do that,well done.

Back to top Go down

Post  mykez on 29th March 2012, 9:54 am

haha. thanks!! I was afraid you'd pick up on something that I was doing wrong again lol affraid
mykez

Back to top Go down

Post  finfan on 29th March 2012, 10:31 am

Nah mate- all looks good

Now we should get the cooler days hopefully temp settles a bit- have a look at the first pics then the last - water surface is so much better and shows.

Those collected fish look great, very healthy mate- well done....

Keep the pics coming...
Cool

finfan

Back to top Go down

Post  mykez on 27th April 2012, 12:16 pm

So here is my target list of fish to collect, just one of each desired... Supposedly all of these can be found in the south-east, if anyone knows contrary to this especially Liquidg please let me know. The ones I am particularly curious about are underlined as the majority of others i have encountered already. I'll update this post as collect each one off the list.

Emperor angel
Sailfin tang
Scopaz tang (collected 27/5)
Koran angel
Six band angel (Pomacanthus sexstriatus)
Yellowtail angel
Arrow goby (Ptereleotris evides)
Long nose butterfly
Southseas wrasse
Pearlscale mimic
Lemon peel mimic (collected)
Anthias
Bi-colour goby
Blue tang
Moorish idol
Coral beauty
Starkii damsel
Heraldi angel
Powder brown tang

Last edited by mikezea6 on 29th May 2012, 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
mykez

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 27th April 2012, 2:23 pm

The arrow and six bar are rare down here mate, so its possible, but wont necessarily happen, the others are around in varying numbers each year so most are possible.

Look around heaps and you might be lucky.

Back to top Go down

Post  marineman on 28th April 2012, 1:54 pm

hi

is that fish list you got there going to be added to what you already have there in that last photo?

how many liters is the tank volume?
marineman

Back to top Go down

Post  mykez on 28th April 2012, 2:16 pm

haha. only 200 it's gonna take a while to get them all and by then I plan to have a 5footer.
mykez

Back to top Go down

Post  marineman on 29th April 2012, 2:59 pm

ahhhh i see,i would agree you need to have a bigger tank as a lot of those fish you have grow quite large,

good luck with it.
marineman

Back to top Go down

its been a while

Post  finfan on 9th April 2013, 12:21 am

Hey Mate

Any updates on your tank and pics ? its been a while and would love to see the progress, good or bad ?? Shocked

Cool

finfan

Back to top Go down

Post  mykez on 10th April 2013, 5:48 pm

haha this tank no longer has any inhabitants exept for a floating canary who forewarned the apocalypse. luckily everyone was relocated in time. New tank is coming along will update that thread soon.
mykez

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top