scott's 6ft mixed reef

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

scott's 6ft mixed reef

Post  Makaira on 20th March 2012, 1:12 pm

Hi Guys, Introduction:
so the tank has been up and running for a little over seven months, its had two major moves and 10 total rescapes.
as with everything, i continuosly change my mind and goals for the tank
(im not patient enough for this hobby...yet).
but i enjoy the thrill it gives me watching my little ocean world evolve. aswell as the watching others including my little girl enjoying it.

System Objectives:an clean, well maintained and interactive tank that i can not only enjoy looking at but feeding etc aswell

System Type: mixed reef/ with as much collected life as possible
Display System:
Strike up Date: 21 January 2012

Display Tank: 72Lx15Wx19H

Display Lighting: 3 diy built, light modules using 72 3 w leds half Royal blue, half 10k cool white. dimmable
Stand: home made solid pine with tongue and grove paneling, painted gloss white

Hood: TBA

Sump: 30Lx10Wx14H,
Refugium: mud/ sand with chaeto and taxifolia.
Refugium Lighting:atm a desk lamp. building led panel

Support systems:
System Water: NSW
Display Water circulation: 5000L/H wave maker at one end, one tunze 1500L/h in the centre and another at the other end

Return Pump:Aqua one 106 ( 3200L/H )

Skimmer: marine soure SDP-900E

Evaporation Top Up:Manual (diy ato unit still in the testing phase)

Chemical Support:RedSea reef foundations A,B,C

Calcium Addition:TBA

Alkilinity Addition: TBA

Other Chemical Maintenance: TBA

Current Water Chemistry: TBA
Nitrates: <10ppm
Phosphates: < 0.1 ppm
Alkalinity:tba
Calcium:tba
Salinity / Specific Gravity:
Magnesuim:
Current FTS:

Oct 2012

So i aquired a tank, cabinet and filtration system from a good mate for free.
it had been in his shed for a few months so needless to say it was a little bit worse for wear.
now ive never done anything with fish tanks before exept a little tank when i was 12.
so i started researching and thought i could handle it ( yeh bit off more than i could chew but no turning back now).

so heres what the lot looked like after id just got it home. (it came with a hood and fluro's but it was so moldy im just going to scrap it and start from scratch)

(notice the big bloody hole in the side of the cabinet)

the biggest issue with the tank, cracked end pane. luckily it wasnt the end with the overflow hole.

aswell as the tank and cabinet i got :

a Resun CL-450 chiller
a Aquavia 750 external canister filter
a Azoo tri-super Skimmer
a small sump tank (way to small infact)
a intank bar heater(destined to be put in a sump
and a busted return pump 3000Lph

ok so i started with the cabinet
it painted up real nice in gloss white

note the missing end panel and the new vent covering the big hole, thinking that i can use some PC fans to suck air out through it for the chiller

I then started to research all the different filtration methods and thought of how i can make the equipment i had work for me.
so heres the plan.
over flow pipe into the new sump running through a filter sock,
then under a baffle into the protein skimmer outlet section, out of that through a bubble trap into refugium or live rock section
(havent made up my mind yet)
then over a baffle into return section.

the canister could be filled with crushed coral gravity fed from the tank.
but most people tell me to scrap it (still could be used for bio pellets... but i need to research it more)

ok so bearing in mind im aiming at having blue tangs, an angelfish of some discription, lionfish. zebra moray and a miniatus grouper/coral cod
i just want some fish that i can enjoy feeding and watching, as a fisherman i like aggressive fish so hence the not so reefy fish list

if you guys have any suggestions please let me know :clownfish: Smile

Last edited by scottatwello on 24th October 2012, 8:28 am; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : update)
Makaira

Back to top Go down

update

Post  Makaira on 20th March 2012, 1:13 pm

just a quick update

ive decided to go semi-aggressive FOWLR rather than mixed reef.
ive taken the canister filter out of the equation for now (it may return as a rowaphos canister).
the sump has been redesigned for a crushed coral filter and a fuge/ dsb.
installed new return pump (3200L/ph).
the skimmer will be external due to lack of room for a sump big enough to have both an insump skimmer and fuge.
ive order my T5 fluros from guppies. (thanks for the advice ryan)

new fish list is

miniatus grouper x1
zebra or snowflake eel x1
volitan or dwarf lionfish x1

still working on it... tongue

so here are some photo's of what ive been up to.

fixed the end pane.

freshwater testing

out of the garage and into the house.

sorry about the poor quality of the pics, they were taken from my iphone,
ill take some better ones once ive got lights etc
Makaira

Back to top Go down

Re: scott's 6ft mixed reef

Post  liquidg on 20th March 2012, 1:36 pm

Mate I would cut out the end of your cupboard/stand and make a door to allow a filtration system to be slid in or out to do maintenance on it or add to it over time.

The problem with live rock is that it is unstable to begin with and not able to with stand the bad times or an over feeding event or power off for a time.

You need calcium structure in a marine aquarium,sure,thatís what live rock is,it helps with KH and general PH a little.

The live rock should be added after you establish an external bio filter,(sump),you can make one out of a plastic office rubbish bin and a couple of tubs from crazy clarkes,coles or bunnings that will not just do your predator fish and keep them safe from parasites,ich and velvet, but its there when you add corals as well later on if you wish.
The line of attack for excellent filtration is,pre filer as the water leaves the tank,algae growing on small pieces of live rock and another pre filter,now the water should go through some media like coral rubble,marble or shell grit at 3 to 10 mill in diameter chunks.

Then the water rises to go onto a drip tray on top of your rubbish bin above lots of calcium chunks that sits over your tub that is the sump,in the sump you place the skimmer to over flow the water onto the drip tray as well.

Return pump the water to the tank and you have pristine water that will discourage any parasites and grow corals one day.

Predators, not all,but most initially are pron to stress and that will give them white spot to velvet in a not so well bio filtered aquarium.

They are hunters over big areas normally; tanks are not that big, they get stressed until they settle in.

Ask away there are lots of hobbyists here with varied experiences to pic their brains,between us all,we can help with any part of the hobby.

Oh,a chiller needs to be a little ways from the tank and have moving air,it heats the area it is in and humidity kills them.

Back to top Go down

cheers mate

Post  Makaira on 20th March 2012, 2:46 pm

hi liquid

yeh ive done alot to the tank since those last few photo's were taken.
there is alot more live rock in the tank and a few bits in the sump.
the protein skimmer is on order and will be external as there is not alot of space in my current sump.
im not 100% sure about what you mean by the plastic tubs etc but ill catch up with you soon and you can explain it.

ill chuck some more pics up once my seven day ex link probation goes away.

the chiller has been modified (im a marine electronics tech by trade). but may be put outside the cabinet when we move in 12 months.
did a 20% water change tonight and it did wonders for my water quality.

im leaving to go on a work trip for 6 days. but when i get back id love to catch up and show you the tank etc
Makaira

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 20th March 2012, 2:50 pm

This one of the ones i used in my set up.

They come in all sizes,i use two of the large ones that are the same water volume as a three foot tank sought of for storage,quarantine and experimenting.

Plastic is easy to use and not easy to break and these have no toxic UV protection to leech out,very handy.

Back to top Go down

Post  finfan on 20th March 2012, 3:33 pm

HiYa Scott

Looks awesome mate well done on the clean up, you did a great job- - something about a new set up that gets me pumped and want to get in the water in search of critters....I look forward to seeing the progress of you tank - 6ft is imo a great size as it gives you so much choice and good stability.....keep the photos coming

Great work
Cool

finfan

Back to top Go down

Cheers lads

Post  Makaira on 21st March 2012, 4:23 am

Thanks guys for your input,

I'm up I. The gulf on work ATM but I'll be back Monday.
I'd been keen on getting ya round for a beer and a chat. Plus
Everyone tells me I need to join up as a member to go on collections etc.
So I'll do that as soon as in back cause I'd be keep on doin a lowtide or snorkel in the next few weeks
Makaira

Back to top Go down

some updated pics, lights oof

Post  Makaira on 2nd April 2012, 6:41 am

hi lads just a few pics of my aqua scaping,
only a lonely butterbream in there atm.

ill take some better ones after the water change tonight. with lights on
Makaira

Back to top Go down

pics with light on.

Post  Makaira on 4th April 2012, 9:24 am

ok so heres two i took last night. the light is one im borrowing atm.
5ft one on its way

Makaira

Back to top Go down

maybe changing my mind

Post  Makaira on 5th April 2012, 6:11 am

ok so after watching the little bits of life starting to appear in my tank (coral worms etc)
im thinking of switching to a mixed reef tank.
still not sure but the further along the cycle gets the more i like the idea of anenomes and clownfish rather than a lionfish
or coral cod.

thoughts?
Makaira

Back to top Go down

Post  mykez on 5th April 2012, 11:17 am

I was thinking that as soon as i saw your thread haha. It'll take you one or two trips to get just about everything for a predator tank and you'll be done. Once you're in the water there will be so many things you'll want to catch, that are a challenge to get, or that you don't see every day. Wondering what you're gonna get next trip is half the excitement, and you won't get that with just a predator tank.
mykez

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 5th April 2012, 12:55 pm

Thatís very true Mike,there are thousands of creatures you can add to a reef tank,but only a few to a predator tank.

I must admit though, I predator reef tank can be filled with many nasty life forms with just the support of a wet section, nothing else needed at all,but for a reef tank to go on and on for years and just get better, its not thatís simple.

There are many toys to use with sustaining a reef tank, to some degree and get some good results, but for longevity of all marine life,(algae support), not a silly refuge,but a robust raised and clean bio area, under the algae growth will do it so well you will think,it cant be that easy,it is!!!!

For an under tank system incorporating algae, its very important that you have plenty of bio area to complete the nitrite cycle so that the algae does not have work on nitrate, it takes away from its osmotic functions through to converting phosphates etc.

The ocean is governed by phytoplankton-algae, that looks like many weird and some shrimp like life forms that keep the ocean free of crap,and with out it we would all die from lack of oxygen.

Phytoplanktonís ancestors, cyano bacteria, made the first complex life forms existence possible via primitive photosynthesis of pre existing gases left over from when the earth cooled and photosynthesis in varied forms of caulerpa will give you far closer to pristine ocean waters than mechanical filtration styles in your aquarium, very easily!

You canít find this info out there as there is no money in it for the net sites and actual shops so hobbyists that use this type of thing are a little rare and are shot down if they promote it too much.

Have a look under pet cityís display tank, lots of caulerpa in there not for sale different to the ones for sale on average.

Most of the major public displays through out the world are run partly by algae, you can not have a fool proof system with out it, thatís why so many hobbyists have some success, major crashes, to not the result they could have had, which doesnít matter really as they never had it, so they never had the thrill of simple success and canít miss what they never had!

Oh and if you read about algae (going sexual), that means they killed it by not knowing how to keep it, that happens a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

umm thanks.

Post  Makaira on 5th April 2012, 1:30 pm

G i think you need to go crack a beer mate.
but yeh i see what your saying.
btw i think i have cyno growing in my tank is that bad?
Makaira

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 5th April 2012, 2:15 pm

Some mind numbing would be cool, but I cant have it any more, oh well it was good up until a few years back,lol.

The cyano-bacteria algae combo, is from access nutrient,like invert pee,there is lots of that, also phosphate that is left over after the nitrite cycle,natural skin oil,chemicals off your hands and CO2 from the air, there is a lot of stuff in a tank out side of and after the nitrite cycle with no algae support!

The algae area would remove-import the nutrients so that the cyano will have nothing to feed on to expand its colony in the aquarium, thatís one of the many uses for an algae area.

Cyano has the grunt to grow over corals and can make it sick from the spores unlike most algaeís and when the tank waters get to 28c ish and above, it goes to spore and the spores are poisonous to everything, including us!

If it doesnít go to spore it does remove nutrients, though it doesnít convert nutrients to valuable trace elements and add these to your water, like caulerpa is able to, for the human eye, it just produces oxygen, the pure oxygen bubbles on the live rock we see are what it makes and thatís not to bad.

So Scott,cyano is good and bad,lol.

Back to top Go down

ok next step algae box

Post  Makaira on 5th April 2012, 3:47 pm

ok i think i need to build an algae box.
teach me oh great algae guru.
and use simple words im only a lowly tradesman after all
Makaira

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 5th April 2012, 4:39 pm

Guru?Very funny,donít use that silly word again connected with me.

I am just lucky that my many past years of failures amongst the successes, taught me a lot.

I am also a lowly tradesman, a chippie and a horticulturalist.

There can be a conversation on algae at our next meeting for you if the others want it.

You see we are on the net, unless you use at least some scientific terms and Latin names, then the idiots that use them that have no idea get believed because of the terms used and some one that actually has experience that doesnít use them, is thought to not have any knowledge.

The words I put on here were to show you how incredibly valuable algae support is, most novice hobbyists on the net have no idea about this because of guru morons preaching what others have put on the net as their own and itís a load of crap normally any way.

Keep this for a meeting if you want to get some ideas on the removal of rubbish out of the tanks water -or it can be called nutrient importing supported by oxidation with in a biological system, see what I mean, the second way of saying it is a load of crap, but if you say it the first way, you must have no idea of what you re saying as many wankers especialy from one Aus site on the net will think!

This is what the hobby has become these days.

See yah.

Back to top Go down

update

Post  Makaira on 16th April 2012, 5:46 am

hey guys

quick update,

tank is going well, caulerpa is thriving.
current stock is 3 chromis and 2 wild caught ocellaris clowns
clowns were introduced on saturday.
so hopefully they settledown.
also had a RBT ananome and green sinularia leather given to me
both are doing really well.

i have a few questions tho.
what are some good CUC (clean up crew) critters that i could put in there to eat excess food and waste.
just worried that if i have waste lying around that i cant get to with a siphon then im just asking for a mini cycle.

and were are you guys getting your salt water from. this is many aimed at liquid G.
do you mix up or get NSW?
Makaira

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 16th April 2012, 12:13 pm

Just get some peppermint shrimps,a few local snails you find at low tide and some small yellow claw hermits for all tank clean up needs mate,what comes out of your rock will do the rest.

I use tank current,limpets,blennies and peps only.

Have a look at this link Scott

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down

thanks

Post  Makaira on 17th April 2012, 1:25 am

thanks G,

helpful as always.
Makaira

Back to top Go down

updated report with led build

Post  Makaira on 20th September 2012, 3:39 pm

Hey guys,

I have finally finished moving the tank into the new house, and i am less than 24 hours away from 10 days of well deserved holiday.
so in my new stat of relaxation i thought id update you on how the tank is doing and how it has progressed over the last few months.
ill be brief and let the photos do the talking.

before the move i built my self a modular led kit along with ignobolis. using parts from aquastyle online
while i went modular he went big and bad ass and his unit is something spectacular to behold. but moving on, here some shots of the led system.
!!!warning all photos taken with iphone. Sad

this is me working out my pattern of leds (there are 72 in total 36 royal blue and 36 10k white) and as you can see i spread them acroos three heatsinks (also from aquastyle online.

a close up without optics

with wiring and some optics

with all optics

fans 12v low profile near silent fans i cant remember the exact db but you would hear a pin drop before hearing them.

wiring loom and fans, im using ltw plugs and sockets, used in the marine elctronics industry as they are near water tight. and are easy to connect/disconnect.

one of the plugs

main box. houses two meanwell lpf-90 dimmable drivers a 12v power supply for the fans. an extraction fan, to get rid of any heat.
there are 4 6 pin sockets. three sockets for the three led modules/panels. and one for the control unit.

control unit, currently has a switch for fans, i used this during the build when i thought the fans might be to noisy. as this is not the case i dont ever touch it. i may utilise it to switch the sump light led panel when i build it (but one project at a time).
also i have plans to build a boost led typhon controller and i can use the same cabling and plugs etc Wink

this is one of the panels running at about 20% on both colours.

blue leds over the tank.

best setting looks wise (yet to get a par meter)

full tank.

at this time work and home life caught up with me and i couldnt find the time to finish the third led panel.
the tank was moved a few times as wee looked for a new house.
finally after 2 months the tank is set up and last light finished, excuse the aquascape, that is a job on the list.
i call it the explosion look Very Happy

current stock is a mixed bag of corals.
acans, favias, war corals, chalice, goni's, etc. if i had the time i would list all with numbers and proper names, but its 9:30 and i couldnt be stuffed.

critters include,
2 copperband shrimp,
3 blue/green chromis,
1 hawian yellow tang (love this fish),
1 zebra lionfish caught while on a club trip. (a very passive fish) great character though.
2 tomato clowns
2 bubble tip anemone
1 carpet nem (looking for a new home) Very Happy
and a bucket load of peppermint shrimp.

as far as equipment goes. i have installed a protein skimmer its a marine sources 900 external. goes alright,
seems to keep bioload and therefore nitrates down.
ultimatly i would love to have a wicked sump similar to that of liquid g or igno, however space is a major issue under this tank and i have do it the hard and sometimes backward way.

so thats pretty much it.

my future tasks are:
- aquascape tank.
-build a hood/ crown. mainly for cosmetic reasons but also to get the led panels a bit higher and get the glass lids off the top of the tank.
-ato unit, i actually have everything ready to go for this just need to install it, a very interesting build, report to come.
-arduino/boostled typhon led controller.
-sump led panel.
-kid safe doors so my now mobile daughter can't get upto mischeif.

two things im considering that may be added to the list (please feel free to comment and offer opinions)
- an algae scrubber over the sump.
- a seneye reef monitoring system hooked up to my home pc.
the reasoning behind this is i do alot of away work and my partner isnt fully aquarium ready lol. though she does support me in my addictive hobby. seneye will enable me to monitor temp, ph, free ammonia. lux/par/kelvin. from my phone and laptop anywere in the world. Laughing

ok guys if you have any questions or advice, go for it

Makaira

Back to top Go down

Post  finfan on 20th September 2012, 4:18 pm

Excellent Mate...

Good to hear you have settled in and are catching up with stuff. The LED lights look great and seem to fill the tank nicely.

I too would like to get the seneye, it sounds like a handy tool for monitoring the tank parameters.... plus the lux meter would be very handy.....

Catch up soon yo...

Cool

finfan

Back to top Go down

seneye

Post  Makaira on 21st September 2012, 1:25 am

yeh mate age of aquariums can do the reef model for around $180 atm.
or the home model for $140.
i just feel going the top of the range will give me more options as they increase the amount of tests it can perform, future proofing my investment.
plus the light metering looks boss Very Happy
Makaira

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 21st September 2012, 3:41 pm

Hey Scott,mate if you have room issues then the algae area is the most important part.

Under a 6 foot or 5 foot tank you could put four tubs,two under bed tubs at the bottom and two at the top.

The two at the bottom are totally jammed full of rollers, thatís hundreds of rollers on a shallow bed of rubble or shell grit, in those two all nitrites and nitrates are accounted for!

The two tubs above have a substrate of rollers with water pumped up from the tubs below, three layers of rollers on a raised floor with 6 inches of water for algae growth.

Put a skimmer at the end with the return pump and you have perfect waters and no glass connected with the bio filter at all!

Make up a pre filter at the tank and a settling pre filter further on and you have a winner that there is no worries to go away as it looks after it self, with algae trimming of course.

That would all fit into 500 mill of height space.

Back to top Go down

some update picture plus as sneak peek at my new nano

Post  Makaira on 3rd October 2012, 6:40 am

hey crew,

heres some new shots of a few things(more to come) just was playing round with a new phone's camera

hhahaha sexy huh !!!!!

Makaira

Back to top Go down

Post  finfan on 3rd October 2012, 1:58 pm

Love the tang - a very cool fish.....looks as healthy as .... Very Happy

Cool

finfan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content