Work nano

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Work nano

Post  Kitiara on 21st March 2012, 12:47 pm

Well it arrived today, the 46L nano tank I am hoping to set up on my desk at work. I currently have a 26L Aqua One AR126 with some fresh water fish and I am a little bored with it so was thinking of just changing it to salt. I then got thinking, a 26L all in one is not very big, and I can't run a skimmer.....

The new tank is a Boyu MH-400 all in one with a rear sump section with skimmer, heater, UV and return pump. It only has a 18W compact fluro globe but that will be fine for lower light corals (not that I'd get a lot in there) The plan is to drag it in early one morning (that will be an effort in itself I think, I take the train to work and it's a bit bigger in person that I anticipated) That afternoon I will pack down the old tank and will bring in the live rock in a bucket of water and set it up early the following the morning, hoping I get away with it.

All this will happen after easter (I am on leave from Fri next week till just after easter, I will get the LR and get it curing here at home while I'm off so maybe if I am lucky by doing that and introducing the media I have in my sump I may be able to have a minimal or even no cycle.

Dimensions are 41cm x 40.5cm x 42.7cm so it will take up a good chunk of one side of my desk (as in my A4 scrap notepaper which I have on that side of the desk will need to be positioned landscape instead of portrait...)

I am going to upgrade the return pump before I take it in to work. The one it currently has is 340L/hr and I am hoping to get away with no powerheads in the tank. I am planning on getting a hydor pico 1150 to replace it. It is adjustable flow so I will be able to dial it back if I need to.

anyway - pics!

The tank

Light and sump area

Sump area

The bio balls will be coming out. Under that is a bag of ceramic rings which I am considering replacing with live rock rubble. At the bottom of that section is a block of coarse sponge

Fish I am thinking of at the moment is a yellow assessor, a longfin fairy wrasse (aka red fairy wrasse) or a carpenters flasher wrasse. Possibly one other fish but haven't decided as yet what it may be, possibly an algae eater of some sort. Would also love 1/2 redline shrimp when things get settled.

Last edited by Kitiara on 12th April 2012, 12:50 am; edited 1 time in total

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Re: Work nano

Post  liquidg on 21st March 2012, 1:31 pm

Once the red line sheds,one or more of those species will eventually kill a small to medium one,especialy the assessor, that is basically a dotty back.

Whats the section on the left side of the filter area?

If you put in a serious simple pre filter there to clean each day on week days to help avoid red cyano and some good calcium bio media and lights on for 20 hours per day of wonderfully cold LEDs to off set potential PH issues,you know when lights go off the co2 comes out, it could sustain those semi delicate species with not much chance of stress to parasites.

Cute tank,you could build in a tiny algae area,wet section and a tiny fountain to help control PH as well in that filter area.

A small water change once a week with no heat issues and you would be laughing.

Back to top Go down

Post  saltz on 21st March 2012, 1:45 pm

You could modify the middle chamber into an algae growing area, all you need is a small light covering the area running on reverse cycle. If you're interested, I've some algae that would be suitable for it.

saltz

Back to top Go down

Post  finfan on 21st March 2012, 2:31 pm

Your not showing the tank - your showing off the Star Wars collection...... Smile

-very nice by the way..... Razz

finfan

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 21st March 2012, 2:41 pm

Ignobolis wrote:Your not showing the tank - your showing off the Star Wars collection...... Smile

-very nice by the way..... Razz

lol! lol! lol! Well said mate!

I hope it works out well Kit.

Back to top Go down

Post  Kitiara on 21st March 2012, 2:52 pm

everything I have read indicates that those fish are reef safe and are fine with shrimp which is part of the reason they were chosen (the other reasons are they are small and pretty!)

I am not going to be able to clean a pre filter out each day, maintenance will pretty much be a weekly water change and emptying the skimmer when required

I have thought of an algae area in the back center section but due to the limited space in the rear there would be no room for other media. was going to try it with the standard setup (except pump and with putting in some chemipure elite) a fountain in the back would not be possible due to space and also it MUST be quiet it'll be on my desk and 95% of my workday is spent on the phone.

from left to right the rear sections are
inlet, skimmer and heater
filter media
return pump and uv sterilizer.

the rear sections are only 10cm from front to rear (under the rear lip) so there is not much room for flexibility

Last edited by Kitiara on 21st March 2012, 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  Kitiara on 21st March 2012, 2:54 pm

lol. star wars collection is not mine but Dave's. that is only part of it!

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  Kitiara on 25th March 2012, 2:05 pm

Pump upgraded and can run happily on full. Still not as much flow as I like though, may have to eventually put in a small power head.

I measured up my desk properly on Fri and there is not enough room where I have the current tank. I would be continually hitting it with my elbow. Plan b is to put the shelf from the wider desk section on my left and putting the tank there. The shelf I will put where the current tank is.

Will be good to get this set up after easter. I took to a piece of live rock in my main tank today with a hammer and chisel to separate some purple morphs and fluffy green morphs from an acro. The morphs will go into the nano, the acro will stay in the big tank. The morphs are currently suspended in a basket until I am ready

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  Kitiara on 10th April 2012, 5:50 am

Tank has been wrestled into work with a bit of an effort on the train and set up this morning. Water has mostly cleared already but still has a bit to go. It's not as blue in real life but here are some pics so far

Front

Right

Left

I have put in some seeded filter sponge from my home tank so fingers crossed there will be no cycle, will check in a few days and if no sign of anything will bring in some morps I have waiting to go in.

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  Kitiara on 11th April 2012, 1:43 pm

found my first pest today - a eunice worm. I THINK I have killed it - at the very least it's extremely unhappy as I broke it into 3 pieces, 2 of which were removed, the last bit I couldn't get out of the rock.

Unfortunately it does look at this stage that I will have a cycle. Have noticed a couple of dead brittle stars today which is not a good sign. Will take a a couple of test kits in tomorrow and will confirm

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  Kitiara on 12th April 2012, 1:00 am

I dragged my test kits in this morning (and promptly found out one of the reagents for the ammonia test kit was empty) I have a nitrate reading of 5 and a nitrite reading of 0.3. I guess the nitrite reading does confirm that there is some form of cycle taking place. Will get an ammonia test kit soon so I can monitor it properly.

I am only at work Mon and Tue week then am off till the following Wed. If things have settled down when I return will add my morphs and a few turbo snails

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  Kitiara on 27th April 2012, 11:54 am

Cycling appears to be over. Yesterday I added some fluffy and some purple morphs, today I added a couple of turbos. Have some brown crap forming on the rock, sand and rear of the tank so it's looking a little so so atm. Looks like I will need to get a small powerhead as there is some detritus settling around under the rocks. Will pick up a koralia nano 900 tomorrow to throw in.

Management haven't really commented on the increased tank size at all as yet and the electrical testing guys came around yesterday to do their annual testing and tagging so the tank is all tagged up too (and I did get a dirty look from the contractor on that one..... Most staff members only have a radio on their desks (if anything) for personal electronics, I have a radio, an extension cord and a 6 way powerboard, the tank with all it's plugs, a charger for my tablet and a digital photoframe......

Pics as at lunchtime today (from mobile phone)

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  finfan on 27th April 2012, 5:52 pm

Looking good Kit - love the commitment, dragging it in on the train -lol - you must have got some funny looks.....

Can't wait to see it mature and filled with morphs, Zoa's, ricordia's etc -or is that just me..... Very Happy
Cool

finfan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kitiara on 15th June 2012, 11:24 am

Some updated pics. Still no fish as yet, just a pair of peppermint shrimp from the collecting trip the other week. If you look really closely at the front on shot in the cave next to the green morph you can see one of them.

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  Kitiara on 15th June 2012, 11:28 am

LOL. Just ignore my reflection in the front on shot! I could say it was deliberate and is a new form of watermark but to tell the truth I only just noticed it!

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  Zieha on 15th June 2012, 12:23 pm

what are you looking at putting in it?

I think those nano units are pretty cool Very Happy loads of potential to fiddle with tinee tiny things

Zieha

Back to top Go down

Post  Kitiara on 15th June 2012, 12:54 pm

Looking at a yellow assessor and a fairy/flasher wrasse of some sort. Finding it hard to find them tthough, good thing I am in no real hurry.

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  Kitiara on 16th May 2013, 12:30 pm

Well we had our annual test and tag at work today and with a rather put out look the tech started on my desk (for some reason I have more electric plugs on my desk than everyone else - I can't think why!) I was a little concerned as my poor little tank has DIY LEDS and a fan system in it, and I have to say I am not the most knowledgeable person out there on electronics (ie, I made the lights by copying a picture...) Much to my delight the tech after testing them put a sticker on the cord. YAY GO ME!

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  Kitiara on 19th July 2013, 3:00 am

The case of the missing firefish has come to a close, but is still a mystery. The firefish has been missing for well over a month and on Tuesday I introduced it's replacement. Today I arrived at work to witness 2 firefish happily swimming around together. Where the original one was I have no idea as I pulled all the rocks out and inspected them in my initial search and could not locate it.

As the dorsal fin on both firefish is different I am hoping I have a male and a female and they pair up.... We shall see

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  finfan on 19th July 2013, 3:32 pm

Hey Kit

Are you referring to Nemateleotris magnifica, the Fire Goby, aka the Fire Fish, Fire Dartfish, or Red Fire Goby being a marine dartfish.

They do have a rep for hiding in the smallest of places as a home, even a barnacle shell or the like- it is so cool he she turned up....great stuff

finfan

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 20th July 2013, 1:17 am

Thatís great Kit!
How the hell one can hide for that long, they are amazing hey.
Need pics of the happy couple, though I do prefer the decora,your firefish would be cute as. †
In the late 80s and early 90s for some reason we would find one every now and then out here and try to catch one, forget it!
We came up with taking a piece of glass with us, a piece of acrylic moved to easily and you put it over its hiding spot and that let us catch them.
It took me five dives at the same spot over two months to catch the first one.
Havenít seen one out here in just less than 20 years.
Can you get a close up, love those little faces.
cheers

Last edited by liquidg on 20th July 2013, 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Kitiara on 20th July 2013, 12:54 pm

yes, the red fire goby :-) I prefer the decora as well but they are a little dearer and a bit more fragile

Here is a rather crappy pic I took yesterday - I need to clean the glass properly

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 20th July 2013, 2:06 pm

Lovely, thanks Kit.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top