South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New LED purchased through the forum thanks to liquid

+3
aterese
trent@78
papdt
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

New LED purchased through the forum thanks to liquid Empty New LED purchased through the forum thanks to liquid

Post  papdt 7th April 2012, 4:39 am

Showing the 3x LEDS purchased recently, doing great job, been running for a week and can say that they are almost as bright my previous MH 400 bulbs

Blue only
New LED purchased through the forum thanks to liquid Bl_led10

New LED purchased through the forum thanks to liquid Bl10

White and blue
New LED purchased through the forum thanks to liquid Wt_led10

New LED purchased through the forum thanks to liquid Blandw10

Top view
New LED purchased through the forum thanks to liquid Ledtop10

papdt

http://www.danpapirany.info

Back to top Go down

New LED purchased through the forum thanks to liquid Empty Re: New LED purchased through the forum thanks to liquid

Post  trent@78 7th April 2012, 5:03 am

That is so cool dude, now I see what was in that buy up I should have got on board Shocked

trent@78

Back to top Go down

New LED purchased through the forum thanks to liquid Empty Re: New LED purchased through the forum thanks to liquid

Post  aterese 7th April 2012, 6:26 am

Me too....wanting to change to leds, but not sure on equivalent to my giesemann 3x 250w mh + 2x 80w T5 (blue). Any advice on which of these previous buys would have satisfied ?

I will be up for any future LED purchases by the group !

aterese

Back to top Go down

Post  papdt 7th April 2012, 11:38 am

me think LED 120w is somewhere between MH 250-400w, should make you happy and bank balance too...

papdt

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg 7th April 2012, 12:16 pm

The things about high out put LEDs is they make any resistance lighting a total waste of time in comparison to results with corals and the LEDs we use have near no UVR out put.

Some of us have suspected corals do not need or enjoy ultraviolet light for a very long time , now with the use of non ultraviolet LEDs,it’s become a fact!

Their algae clades with in and all marine algae photosynthesis via excitation,UVR actually harms corals that are not used to it and can not whip up some sun screen impregnated mucus quickly!

The LEDs sustain all corals and algae so well its amazing, plus they last for up to ten years which equates to one tenth of the price of resistance lighting and far less electricity used,plus they run cold so no heat like halides and you can make them into anything in any shaped fitting.

A 90 watt LED light fitting like my cree fittings are more powerful then a 300 watt metal halide with no heat and far less elec costs,etc.

We bought LEDs as well in tubes-fluro replacements, they look exactly the same as the normal fluro but do not need a starter or ballast, then there are the bulbs and spot bulbs, all far better and cheaper over the long term and more powerful then resistance lighting.

I bought enough LED lights to last me ten years this time around,this was the second time we did it, so I have no idea when there will be another buy up from over seas.

I am curious as to how the LEDs papdt wanted and got will go over time,they have a better Kelvin ratting then mine and I must admit,they are a very nice looking professionally made fitting.

The fittings on papdts tank,with Marks testing gear for lumins,PAR and kelvin,each are better then a 400 watt halide with better colour temps for the corals!

I hope he keeps the updates coming.
liquidg
liquidg

Back to top Go down

Post  papdt 7th April 2012, 12:52 pm

1:1 ratio works well (to me) this is whiter then the radium bulbs i used in NZ, I can always suplement with actinics to get a similar Radium colour.

papdt

Back to top Go down

Post  aterese 7th April 2012, 12:59 pm

what is the size of that tank papdt ?

aterese

Back to top Go down

Post  papdt 7th April 2012, 1:08 pm

6f

papdt

Back to top Go down

Post  aterese 7th April 2012, 1:18 pm

cool, looked smaller

i am keen to see pics on similar to mine 6x3x2, so that gives me a good idea Smile

aterese

Back to top Go down

Post  finfan 17th April 2012, 11:12 am

That is really looking great.

I particularly like your hood modification to accommodate the new LED sets - great job mate.......

Hey any updates on the reaction from your coral to date, any withdrawals from the MH as its been a few months now or are the loving it ?

You mention you like the 1:1Ratio, or more specifically it works for you - is this for the brighter 14-16k look or for your particular corals growth/preferences etc

Please keep the pics up, I love seeing the advancements .....

Thanks
Cool

finfan

Back to top Go down

Post  papdt 17th April 2012, 3:11 pm

Thanks for your kind words, SPS browned up a little but not due to light, i suspect lack of water quality that contributed to this. the 1:1 ratio is certainly brighter then what i used to (radiums) and that should enhance sps growth provided that enough calc is in the water. SPS colour will obviously be less vivid then under 20k MH… I AM SURE OF THAT. i think you right by comparing the current colour to 14 - 16k, its not as blue as radiums which rated 20k but looks like 20+ k, the middle light white LEDs have been flickering at times especially when turned on, will keep an eye on it. not much progress to report atmo as changes to SPS takes long time, but i noticed that some of the softies are extending their polyps more than pre LEDS.
I changed the aquascape last weekend and will probably have to do this again if we move to a different house. so i don't expect any good results in the near future as the tank is not mature enough and will not be settled for quite some time.

New LED purchased through the forum thanks to liquid 110

New LED purchased through the forum thanks to liquid 210

New LED purchased through the forum thanks to liquid 310

Feeding time
New LED purchased through the forum thanks to liquid 410

papdt

Back to top Go down

Post  mykez 17th April 2012, 4:36 pm

Really liking your rockscape and corals mate! Very simple but balanced well and very easy on the eyes. If it were my setup, I wouldn't feel like it was necessary to add to it at all. Everything looks purposefully placed and "designed" which I think works to a unique effect.
mykez
mykez

Back to top Go down

Post  papdt 18th April 2012, 3:00 am

coral wise, i have locally collected corals which are very good in term of longevity (due to growing in a harsh conditions - river pollution, temp change etc.. )but limited in terms of colours and variation, once tank is mature and settled i would be keen to use a calc reactor and have sps from more pristine areas. the thing that is most obvious at this stage is the min bioload, wish we had collection trips at hervey bay similar to what you guys are doing, so i could get them locally

papdt

Back to top Go down

Post  papdt 4th May 2012, 11:23 am

update... took all the send out and reduced bioload so fish number is currently 5, that should help establishing low nutrients and get some colours on sps.
one of the LED units has a problem with the white LEDS... after flickering for few weeks it has now lost the white intensity, blues are still same intensity.. whites are down to third intensity (they produce light but much weaker than before or with comarison the other two units). If i tap on the unit it flickers a little but goes back to low white LEDS intensity.. any ideas what may be causing this?
i switched units power cords but the same one still playing up.

papdt

Back to top Go down

Post  marineman 4th May 2012, 12:30 pm

mate very nice,can you post some closer pick of your corals? bounce
marineman
marineman

Back to top Go down

Post  finfan 4th May 2012, 4:30 pm

papdt wrote:update... took all the send out and reduced bioload so fish number is currently 5, that should help establishing low nutrients and get some colours on sps.
one of the LED units has a problem with the white LEDS... after flickering for few weeks it has now lost the white intensity, blues are still same intensity.. whites are down to third intensity (they produce light but much weaker than before or with comarison the other two units). If i tap on the unit it flickers a little but goes back to low white LEDS intensity.. any ideas what may be causing this?
i switched units power cords but the same one still playing up.

Sounds very much like a bit of corrosion has got into a circuit or a driver is failing for some reason -with you description I would say a faulty joint -either send it back to the manufacturers or pull it apart (unplugged of course) and check all the solder joints for corrosion, discoloration or any thing which is different from all the other solder joints - it sounds like its pretty easy to fix either way....
Cool

finfan

Back to top Go down

Post  papdt 5th May 2012, 2:23 am

thanks for your suggestion

papdt

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg 5th May 2012, 3:34 am

Just had a reply from greensun and they said it is a driver malfunction,i sent an email to get them to send a replacement,maybe that will work.
liquidg
liquidg

Back to top Go down

Post  papdt 5th May 2012, 4:32 am

Updated photos:

New LED purchased through the forum thanks to liquid P1010010

New LED purchased through the forum thanks to liquid P1010011

New LED purchased through the forum thanks to liquid P1010024

New LED purchased through the forum thanks to liquid P1010012

New LED purchased through the forum thanks to liquid P1010013

New LED purchased through the forum thanks to liquid P1010017

New LED purchased through the forum thanks to liquid P1010015

New LED purchased through the forum thanks to liquid P1010021

New LED purchased through the forum thanks to liquid P1010022

New LED purchased through the forum thanks to liquid P1010115

New LED purchased through the forum thanks to liquid P1010116

New LED purchased through the forum thanks to liquid P1010117

papdt

Back to top Go down

Post  papdt 5th May 2012, 4:35 am

liquidg wrote:Just had a reply from greensun and they said it is a driver malfunction,i sent an email to get them to send a replacement,maybe that will work.

thanks

papdt

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg 5th May 2012, 4:47 am

That looks great mate cheers
liquidg
liquidg

Back to top Go down

Post  marineman 5th May 2012, 8:13 am

Awsome, wow that fan is very cool did you get it that big or did it grow? how long have you had it for?
marineman
marineman

Back to top Go down

Post  papdt 5th May 2012, 2:36 pm

thanks liquidg
the gorgonian has been with me for about a month, it is nice when the white polyps are out.. looks like red christmas tree with snow flakes

Last edited by papdt on 5th May 2012, 3:49 pm; edited 2 times in total

papdt

Back to top Go down

Post  finfan 5th May 2012, 3:29 pm

Great shots- that looks real healthy and all looks to be doing well -respect !
Cool

finfan

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg 8th May 2012, 9:40 am

Mate i have gotten them to send you a new driver,can you get a pick of the driver and any specs so they dont get it wrong Very Happy

Also PM your details again to me for the posting to you.
liquidg
liquidg

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next