Collecting July 1st low tide rock pools trip.

Go down

Collecting July 1st low tide rock pools trip. Empty Collecting July 1st low tide rock pools trip.

Post  liquidg on 2nd July 2012, 3:07 pm

What a beautiful day, fantastic surf, glassy seas, heaps of life in the rock pools, all this next to the best bay beach in Southeast Queensland.

Luke and I turned up much earlier then the others to enjoy an hour or two of the top little waves that were treating all surfers along the coast from last weekís heavy seas and now the westerlies to give them a clean face.

After some top waves we were into the rock pools with every on else, some to collect clean up crew additions, some like myself were there for algae only.

Random pics from in the rock pools on the day.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Lots of acropora and other corals around but no one wanted any that day.

Collected tank additions.

Most of us collected some common racemosa.

Some mixed algae with the surge zone taxifolia for the guys.

A cats eye shell fish still with its eye,lol.

Some lawn mower blennyís for the guys and girls.

Ryanís little decorator crab.

Surfing on the day,this is luke,mine is only video.

You can just make out Luke in the barrel.

Last edited by liquidg on 15th July 2012, 2:03 pm; edited 3 times in total

Back to top Go down

Collecting July 1st low tide rock pools trip. Empty Re: Collecting July 1st low tide rock pools trip.

Post  finfan on 2nd July 2012, 4:31 pm

Awesome guys

What a top day...looks like Luke carving it up....nice

I particularly like that shot of the four lawn mowers - great shot mate well done !

Cool

finfan

Back to top Go down

Collecting July 1st low tide rock pools trip. Empty Lawnmowers

Post  jimmyarcane on 3rd July 2012, 3:39 am

hey man , Awesome shots and awesome collections. we get something very similar to the Lawnmower blennys that you found but they don't have the whiskers , If that's what you would call them . .. thank there blennys still. They pick uneaten food from th floor but dont seem interested in the glass or rocks Smile

jimmyarcane

Back to top Go down

Collecting July 1st low tide rock pools trip. Empty Re: Collecting July 1st low tide rock pools trip.

Post  liquidg on 3rd July 2012, 9:18 am

Hi Jimmy,mate they are what we in the commercial collecting fraternity when i did that back some years used to call rock skippers and these days the trendy name for them is lawnmower blennys,the latin name is istiblennius meleagris.

Do you have a pic of yours?

Actually some one mentioned something about that just recently, some started the trendy name of lawn mowers around 6 to 10 years back and one has to keep up,lol.

They eat enormous amounts of algae, even hair algae to an extent and pretty much anything food wise.
Harmless nice fish.

Thanks about the pics,love all the forms of algae and coralline algaes,beautiful stuff!

cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  mykez on 3rd July 2012, 12:45 pm

No good for a free dive I assume.. poor vis or too much swell?
mykez
mykez

Back to top Go down

Collecting July 1st low tide rock pools trip. Empty istiblennius meleagris

Post  jimmyarcane on 4th July 2012, 1:25 am

Cool. having a little searching on net as we speak Smile ty for being part of a forum that actually answer questions Razz

I have a couple of photos BUT computer crashed with photos on, Backup drive on the crashed computer. Once its running I will post Smile

i think i going to have an Algae tank one day , I love it oo. Like a Freshwater planted tank Razz ( my background )

Ty , chat soon

jimmyarcane

Back to top Go down

Collecting July 1st low tide rock pools trip. Empty blennys

Post  jimmyarcane on 4th July 2012, 1:45 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
As from the photos in your forum i got Females, WOW , awesome shots guys Smile

Gonna go looking today for Nice stuff in the rock pools ")

Jimmy

jimmyarcane

Back to top Go down

Post  Zhyr on 4th July 2012, 7:31 am

Last edited by zhyr on 12th December 2012, 6:15 am; edited 1 time in total

Zhyr

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 4th July 2012, 10:54 am

jimmyarcane wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
As from the photos in your forum i got Females, WOW , awesome shots guys Smile

Gonna go looking today for Nice stuff in the rock pools ")

Jimmy

No worries Jimmy,the males have a semi blade shape on their head as with many varieties of blennys,the younger males take on pretty much female colours and the blade on the head is laid down to keep the adult males from picking on them.

Its hard to tell a male by colour unless they are fully matured, its best to look at the blade shape on the head, the females have near no blade at all, not even folded.

Good luck with the collecting.

Back to top Go down

Post  fishnthings on 8th July 2012, 6:50 am

Looks like you all had a great day by the excellent shots.
Its a shame you have your name tag in the middle .can it not be moved further down . cheers

fishnthings

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 8th July 2012, 9:30 am

The problem is our pics are starting to turn up all over the place,you wouldnt recognise them,we do.

With no reference to us, the watermark fixes that and the best parts canít be used with out the sites name either!

Three pics now are being chased for books, luckily the watermark is there or they would be gone as well.

Back to top Go down

Post  Zhyr on 8th July 2012, 10:29 am

Zhyr

Back to top Go down

Collecting July 1st low tide rock pools trip. Empty collecting

Post  jimmyarcane on 8th July 2012, 4:25 pm

I say do everything yo can to keep your photos Yours Smile

Went collecting today got 20 small hermits ( to try control the hair algae ) witch there doing allready, rock by rock. and a Blenny ( with tenticals ). .lol

God i love free stuff from the beach ( makes it even better coz my son came with me to help )

0_o

jim

jimmyarcane

Back to top Go down

Post  Zhyr on 8th July 2012, 4:59 pm

Zhyr

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmyarcane on 9th July 2012, 10:47 am

You guys going to think i obsessed Smile Here a coupple photos of the little blennys we found Smile This one looks like the so called Lawnmower blenny that we get in the shops around here Smile I seen him munching and spitting the Hair Algae Smile and a photo of one of the Hermits. The hermits clearing all the Hair Algae off my rocks ( they at least eat the Algae not spit it out Smile

P.s. Hope you dont mind me posting on the end of your post , if you do let know.

jimmy

jimmyarcane

Back to top Go down

Post  Zhyr on 9th July 2012, 10:54 am

Last edited by zhyr on 12th December 2012, 6:14 am; edited 1 time in total

Zhyr

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 9th July 2012, 11:59 am

Thatís great Jimmy,very cool!.

If you can next time, make a thread of your own and I will put a sticky on it to remain at the top until another trip with collecting pics comes along, they get preferences here.

Anyone abiding by the rules here that put up collecting trip pics,gets the top spot at that time.

Some very true things about any forms of aquarium species collecting for you look at.

The first is the saving of money, which is good, though shops and individuals will always apply pressure to try and have it stopped, with any way possible!

Never show what you are doing at the site of collection and never say or show where it was!

We know it is perfectly legal, but there are so many know nothing wanna beís out there that canít, by fear or for what ever reason, collect for them selves and voice environmental reasons or similar to amplify there idiotic ravings to justify the uneducated load of rubbish they come out with.

The next is the wonderful educational opportunities to help with the hobby and learn so much about our wonderful ocean and our relatives with in, they all have a genetic code as well,lol.

The next is to gain some insight into what is actually affecting our oceans that house life forms we depend on for most of the CO2 removal and conversion from our air and the same for oxygen produced by their hard work at photosynthesising our out put.

The next to be aware of is that most basic inverts and a few complex inverts we get for our aquariums are able to reproduce actually A sexually and similar, then sexually as well.

This means if you take some of the cluster of algae and leave some,it will regenerate, as with corals, which includes anemones!

With fish if you see 5 blennys as just one example, take 3 or 4 and leave 1 or 2,similar species aid each others survival at times.

Also a sectioned clump of algae or cunjivoe,take 5 and leave 3,this principal is very important so you have more next time you or others go to collect, never just consider your self, others coming along later to collect are just as important as us!.

The next, but most important, leave the area as you found it, less life after collecting, thatís cool, but the rocks, the dead corals that you may turn over or just move, you know the habitat, increase it or at the very least leave it the way you found it, I canít say enough of how incredibly important this action is!!!!!

The last bit, the ocean replaces everything via planktonic dispersal, these replacements are born from areas for off or from close by that currents disperse.

If there is habitat to inhabit and water quality is adequate, you have affected nothing at all by your collecting!

Enjoy the sport hobby combo mate.

Back to top Go down

Collecting July 1st low tide rock pools trip. Empty Collecting

Post  jimmyarcane on 10th July 2012, 2:33 pm

Wow Doood Smile you very into the whole "Its not ours to destroy but a privilege to be able to take a bit Smile I like that. And Yes , I agree ABSOLUTELY with the leave it as you found it or better,

Rocks turned over most certainly get turned back and if we find Hooks, cans, bottles, you know what I mean, the stuff the hUmAns leave where they go, well they go into the bag too ( AND NORMALLY LIVE IN THE FOOT WELL OF MY OLD UTE FOR A FEW MONTHS ) Smile,

My gran had a poem on her mantle piece ( In England ) "Leave only footprints" kind of funny the thinks that sink in Smile I so wish I was local to your guys and I would Ask if I could come on one of your trips with yous :0

Next time out if I find something nice I will make a new thread Smile

jimmy Smile

jimmyarcane

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down