Carpet Anemone

Go down

Carpet Anemone Empty Carpet Anemone

Post  kindcorals on 10th July 2012, 2:36 pm

I was looking through the list of species found in SE QLD and was amazed to see a carpet anemone on that list! I thought they would only be further north around the GBR and Darwin. How often do you guys see carpets on the dives?

I've always wanted to have a massive carpet anemone in a rimless tank (with what I thought would be metal halides but might be LED's by the time I get the tank) and have a bunch of clown fish to go along with it.

kindcorals

Back to top Go down

Carpet Anemone Empty Re: Carpet Anemone

Post  liquidg on 10th July 2012, 3:13 pm

Some spots have one every 4 foot,they are very common. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  kindcorals on 11th July 2012, 3:32 am

liquidg wrote:Some spots have one every 4 foot,they are very common. Very Happy

That sounds amazing! There is a thread on RC "How rare is this?" that I found a couple years ago and I still cant believe the stuff he finds in his backyard.

I have looked through some of the trip photos but havent seen too many carpet anemones, can you recall any of the specific trips I might look through to find some more pictures? One of the trips had a picture of a Synchiropus and said it glows red too but Im not sure how easy that would be to photograph.

kindcorals

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 11th July 2012, 9:20 am

The only reason one or two pics have been taken is because a member or two were interested, we donít normally bother taking pics of them.

At the club weekend away last year there were a lot, but there werenít any pics taken of them, if I remember right.

Sometimes of late they are just for photo content on the collecting trips threads, personoaly I have no interest in them.

I have kept them in most ways and it is extremely easy to make them thrive,change their colours and to multiply.

In the past I have collected many thousands of them with commercial guys, but they are a serious risk to tank life.

They move live rock, sting and attach to most life including corals and other anemones, cause flow blockages, the potential problems with them are very extensive.

We find them quite often with Periclimenes brevicarpalis living in their simbiotic existence with them, swimmer crabs under them amd many times with clown fish as well.

So I donít know where any pics of them actualy are in the trip threads,sorry.

Back to top Go down

Post  kindcorals on 12th July 2012, 12:57 am

Makes sense if there isnt much interest in them..

liquidg wrote:
I have kept them in most ways and it is extremely easy to make them thrive,change their colours and to multiply.

Are you talking about BTA's or carpets? I had a tank full of RBTA's that did all of the above but Im curious to know if you were able to do this with carpets.

liquidg wrote:
In the past I have collected many thousands of them with commercial guys, but they are a serious risk to tank life.
They move live rock, sting and attach to most life including corals and other anemones, cause flow blockages, the potential problems with them are very extensive.
We find them quite often with Periclimenes brevicarpalis living in their simbiotic existence with them, swimmer crabs under them amd many times with clown fish as well.

That must have been awesome collecting so many of them! Does Australia get all of the more rare colour varieties that typically come from Indonesia, Fiji, etc? Do you mind my asking why you stopped collecting commercially?

I agree that they can be troublesome in a reef tank which is why I would want to have a separate tank with just the anemone and some clowns. I had 10-12 RBTAs in my reef tank years ago that didnt cause as much trouble as they could have but Im fairly certain their sting is weak compared to a carpet sting. They did float around sometimes after splitting but sponges over the powerhead intakes kept them from being destroyed that way. For a carpet I would either want to have a separate tank for them or to build a reef tank around them after they have been settled for a while. I would prefer to just have more tanks, one for carpets and one for my reef though.

Whats your experience with having several carpets in the same tank? I know its possible but I've read of some having difficulty with them sort of attacking each other with chemicals?? in the water column.

kindcorals

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 12th July 2012, 9:49 am

Just typing about carpets nothing else.

We see yellow,dark green,light green and grey green variations of the carpets here.

I stopped working with the commercial guys because it was ruining the hobby for me.

Its been around 12 or 16 years now, if I remember right.

All corals and anemones are classified as the same and all have their own potential area cleansing toxin, some strong some weak.

I have had many in one tank and they are always fine, when you mix anemones together it becomes an issue.

I have used algae as a toxin sponge for years, there are never any toxin issues with microbe colonies and the algae forms removing these and converting them as nature does this quite well.

Bubble anemones, if that is what RBTAs are,have stronger stinging capsules when they fire into other life forms then carpets, its just the carpets have a far stronger sticky surface for a time when introduced into the tank.

They loose that over some months though to quite a weak stickiness.

Back to top Go down

Post  kindcorals on 13th July 2012, 1:46 am

I've heard some pretty horrific survival rates for collected species and it's really sad when you stop to think about it. Thats a long time to be in the collection trade, i cant image the variety of species you must have come across over te years

You mentioned having success with carpets reproducing in captivity, would you mind sharing or directing me to a link that has such information? I've read a lot of stories from people on RC of carpets being "fragged" but no real success with the S. Haddoni species.

I will have to read up on the method of toxin removal you have mentioned with the aid of algae. I guess I got lucky with my RBTA's that they never really damaged my corals. I did have several fish go missing over the years though but never really blamed the RBTA's. And yes I was referring to the bubble tips.

kindcorals

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 13th July 2012, 12:37 pm

I have no idea of any links on that, nothing I have done has come from the net, any talk of what I achieve on the net just causes arguments elsewhere resulting from opinions and disorders that are rampant here and there on the net.

I only learn t how to switch on a computer not many years back, nothing I use or do comes from the net!

Oh hang on, one thing, I researched the LEDs from the net, but I found people to discuss it with out side of forums, you see monetary interests, opinions and disorders run a lot forums.

There are only a few that are pretty open minded!

Carpets can be split the same as morphs and bubble tips achieve it best by division and they both can sexually of course, but thatís hit and miss.

I havenít played with carpets in many years and bubble tips for just over 6 years.

I am into algae forms these days.

Back to top Go down

Post  kindcorals on 15th July 2012, 11:49 am

I do agree that there are a lot of opinions on the forums that must be filtered through to find actual information.

I've split many RBTA's and $100+ Pink Ricordia Yuma's(are these what you are calling morphs?) without fail so i would love to get a couple carpet anemones and do the same thing. Which species of carpet have you been able to split? As far as I can tell, very few, if any, have successfully split S. Haddoni and had them live long term(1-2+ years) after the forced split. These are by far my favorite and I would love to have a tank full of them someday.

I have seen quite a variety of algae in the photos from the trips but Ive personally only had Chaeto?? in my fuge. Which algae were you talking about using as a toxic sponge?

kindcorals

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 15th July 2012, 2:10 pm

Our local form of racemosa laetevirens,it's only found here and its gone at the moment from the eco system and I am told by the herbariums asociate itys only a local form.

Its in this htread.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Chaeto is a simple algae and I find it doesnít do that much at all compared to our local racemosa.

Chaeto does remove nitrate quite well if you have enough area for it.

Thatís why its no good to me, I donít have nitrates.

Back to top Go down

Post  kindcorals on 17th July 2012, 5:41 am

Wow! I've never been much interested in algae but that is a really cool looking algae! It definitely looks like sea grapes.. Which form is the best for toxin absorption and how large of a fuge do you need full of this stuff to keep anemones from killing each other by means of chemical warfare?

Im guessing this algae is seasonal and that is why it is not available at the moment?

kindcorals

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 17th July 2012, 10:53 am

It was totally by accident that this racemosa form was found, never seen it before and its all dead and gone in the wild now, but it will be back some where around here.

Its genetic code identifies it as only found here, this associate I spoke to works for two marine biologists and a geneticist.

From my own use of this caulerpa and a couple of the club members, we found out by accident that it canít handle from 25c,its starts to fail and itís dieing at 26c.

The areas in the wild we found the racemosa, died off when the oceans temps got to 25c to 26c which where it was is around mid to late January.

It is extremely weak and needs lost of care to keep it alive and amazingly conditioning the systems waters.

It allows me to do away with any skimmers, cal reactor, doseing for corals or worrying about any toxins that become present or that may build up over the years.

I have found the more bulbus forms extensions, as in what looks like leafs, the associate from the herbarium named and called this part of the algae, its forms, that it is most likely why its able to carry out much more osmotic absorbsion and containment for photosynthesising its contents then any other caulerpa I have used.

They sought of look like leafs on the forms that grow on what acts like a vine with the caulerpa type plants, if you could call them that, those types seem to carry out water conditioning better then any other I have used.

I have tried most caulerpa algae, including the other racemosa called grape caulerpa,it grows no where near as fast and the life forms in my past tanks did not do that well using it.

This form of racemosa grows incredibly fast and as far as I can tell and from what the associate told me it excretes no harmful sap as taxifolia does.

It has this for protection for algae munchers!

The surge zone taxifolia doesnít so much, but does a little, you can see the streams of sap come out of it when you trim it, the still waters form of taxifolia sap is quite toxic and there is quite a lot of that sap when culling it.

You canít keep the racemosa I use with algae munchers, it disappears very fast!

Standard algae are useless compared to the racemosa, including chaetomorpha and turtle weed, both are weak at best compared to the racemosa.

I used to rely on surge zone taxifolia for nutrient importing, I tried it against the racemosa and it seems to be around one quarter the strength of water conditioning capacity compared ti the racemosa and the taxifolia doesnít seem to extract any toxins from the waters.

Plus when I would trim the taxifolia the corals polyps back then remained retracted for up to two days and when I added some extremely toxic zoas,it all suffered.

The same zoas with this racemosa and no change at all to all life forms

Another thing with it is,I have used for over 15 years now a wet section designed to eradicate the white and velvet protists on my tubs, now with this algae it appears that the protist community thrive with in it, and there is always plenty of varied microbe activity amongst the algae forms being that it becomes very dense and matted when looked after, so there is another major benefit by using it.

I can literally push down on it and feels like sponge its so thick.

With the chemical warfare bit, they let out signature chems and the others remain in perpetual stress and can die from this, its when they are very close to each other and there is not enough current to stop them from reaching out and stinging each other that it gets very ugly.

With this racemosa, if you saw where it was thriving in the wild you would realise why its so amazing with nutrients and toxins.

Back to top Go down

Post  kindcorals on 18th July 2012, 11:13 am

I dont know what to say but WOW! It sounds too good to be true so I will definitely have to give this a go when I get my big tank setup. I cant believe you dont need a skimmer, cal reactor, water changes and dont need to worry about any toxins in the system. I'll definitely do my research now so by the time I get up to Queensland and setup my big tank, I'll have all the information I need to include this miracle algae in my system Very Happy

Do you think this algae will start appearing again in the wild soon now that the water temperature is dropping?

kindcorals

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 18th July 2012, 12:14 pm

Its not just the algae, its most of it, but not all of it and you wont find any info on this type pf thing, just condemnation in this country.

If I was to build another, I would use a small skimmer at the end next to the return pump where its pump impellor is protected as is the return pumps and have it actually work on over abundant protein and the pumps will near never wear out and most likely dose the corals slightly, still no water changes, the way I use the bio media and algae, that will never have to be done again.

My first aqua clear pumps lasted 20 years in the way I protect them.

I have one thing that is needed for this type pf filtration thatís annoying, algae in the tank, its needed to offset the CO2 produced at the four hours lights off time in the algae part of the NWMS.

With a four foot tank or greater you could fit two full on algae-bio parts of my NWMS under it over the bio filtration.
Each would run 18 to 20 hours each and ones lights off time would be in the middle of the others lights on time, this with the ways I use bio filtration and settling pre filters would create something even better then I have achieved with this one, now that would be something to see, no water changes and corals growing faster then the ocean.

It would be amazing.

It should be remembered that settling pre filters are the only reason this system is able to keep building on its success, with out it, forget it!!

cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down