Collecting trip 18th August free diving and low tide walk.

Go down

Collecting trip 18th August free diving and low tide walk. Empty Collecting trip 18th August free diving and low tide walk.

Post  liquidg on 19th August 2012, 4:44 am

The weather was on our side on the day with beautiful blue skies, though the vis was only 5 to 6 meters this makes it better exercise as you need to bob up and down from the bottom a great deal to see anything,esepcialy for crayfish.

Plus at this spot there are three distinct cray spots or you have to swim around a great deal to find just a couple.

There were not many sps acro left alive after this years rains, just two little ones found and lots dead, sadly.

The water was warm enough, most of us got in at the first spot then most of the guys went slightly further south or went home, not much interest in the rock pools this day.

But then there are rock pools further south as well.

This is the day at the first spot. †

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Heading out through my fav left hander to get to the corals and crays.

Coming up to it.

Swim under it.

The vis once past the waves.

Acans very abundent.

xenia
blue

gold

Some local flexible coralline alive. †

The same species dead and dried, starting to turn white and show its intense calcium content once the algae has disintegrated and out.

A couple of crays,the biggest one was missed,dam!!!!

Cute little hermit.

Lots of leather corals.

A little hammer seen, no other members were there at that stage and Danny and I didnít want any so on with the cray hunt,lol.

A pretty and top clean crew member went home with us.

One of several red dragonet for lion fish food.

The population of the sea hairs was in the hundreds.

Beautiful shell grit on most north coast sites with lots of imbedded colours and feels great to walk on.

The lush underwater corallines and algaes

Many urchins around.

A rock found with a bad case of worms,lol.

Xenia out of water

This shows out and in the water, tough soft coral that one.

Last edited by liquidg on 12th September 2014, 8:54 am; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Collecting trip 18th August free diving and low tide walk. Empty Re: Collecting trip 18th August free diving and low tide walk.

Post  rabucazz on 19th August 2012, 6:04 am

Great pics as usual! Iíve never seen a hammer coral in the surroundings. I would be tempted to collect it, though Iím happy it was left in the ocean where it can grow and multiply.

rabucazz

Back to top Go down

Collecting trip 18th August free diving and low tide walk. Empty Re: Collecting trip 18th August free diving and low tide walk.

Post  liquidg on 19th August 2012, 2:33 pm

rabucazz wrote:Great pics as usual! Iíve never seen a hammer coral in the surroundings. I would be tempted to collect it, though Iím happy it was left in the ocean where it can grow and multiply.

They mainly multiply via sexual means, the youngsters end up in the plankton and off they go with currents to where ever.

Hammers havenít been seen down here since the early 1900s I am told,in the 30 plus years here I have been collecting I have never seen one till now.

The global warming has brought them down as they always have done in the plankton but they are surviving now, thatís the fifth one seen in four weeks, all the same size and obviously the same age.

The barrier reef is heading our way with the higher ocean temps down here, this years winter ocean temps are four and half degrees greater then it should be.

The areas at the equator are going to suffer big time from this and our weather events will become more extreme down here, but the warmer ocean temps mean no winter die off, not for over 8 years now and the temps around are more constant at higher levels, this will sustain life that in the recent past could not survive our winters.

I hope we donít loose our semi temperate ocean life from this global change to ocean temps,no latezonatus any more,now that would be sad.

Back to top Go down

Post  papdt on 23rd August 2012, 2:41 am

I hope stingers don't come and settle southbound

papdt

http://www.danpapirany.info

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 23rd August 2012, 3:36 am

It certainly does mate,we herd of some of the nasties seen at Moreton and Frazer last year and a type of iracongi that canít easily kill but near on if weak enough came in as a mass at the seaway a few years back on a warm current, they wreaked havoc, big time!!

The snorkellers that day were a mess and the scuba divers that had no hand or head protection were a mess as well, luckily they remained near the surface.

I got one between my mask and snorkel and holly---- did that hurt, luckily I wear a hood, left glove and full length wety all year round.

Give it 2 to 10 years the way things are going and it may get quite interesting, who knows?

I kept two of the jellies,brought them home and put them in the tank, got them identified with some surprise by the Q museum and chucked them in the bin.

I asked around the forums then but no one knew what they were, some one adamantly said it was a certain type, it was a similar colour but no where near the same body shape, the museum id is best and I chased its name from there and it is a nasty creature that is not found down there?

That one day and i had to be there,not seen there again or ever before,lucky me!

Back to top Go down

Post  papdt on 23rd August 2012, 3:52 am

i think it's wetsuit for me from now on.. even on summer Exclamation

papdt

http://www.danpapirany.info

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down