Collecting Sand for my tank

Go down

Collecting Sand for my tank Empty Collecting Sand for my tank

Post  kindcorals on 22nd September 2012, 12:33 pm

I am near the Moreton Bay Marine Park, and a Habitat Protection Zone where it says collecting, not coral, is allowed. According to the daff.gov.au site, it has coral sand (ie: finely ground-up particles of coral skeleton) - only taken as incidental catch and may not be targeted within marine park waters but it says this is for commercial coral fisheries. Below all of that it just says for recreational fisheries, you may not sell or trade catch among other things. Is this sand still considered 'coral sand,' and am I allowed to collect a small bag of it?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If it is legal, what is the likely hood that this sand collected from the broad water will contain toxins from all the boats that travel in it? I would collect it from beyond the low tide mark and sift out anything besides sand that has been collected.

kindcorals

Back to top Go down

Collecting Sand for my tank Empty Re: Collecting Sand for my tank

Post  liquidg on 22nd September 2012, 3:47 pm

Yes mate,anything with in a couple of clicks of the Broadwater will contain toxins, it may not be of any real consequence but thatís up to you, personally I would not trust it due to heavy metals,insecticides,etc,etc.

Its not legal to take any sand of any kind from the foreshore at all, as you say the law reads it may happen incidently, which is just plain silly, but thatís what we have to work with.

cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  kindcorals on 22nd September 2012, 4:35 pm

Thanks for the info and I'll probably pass if you think it's polluted, I'd rather not risk it.

At least some collecting is legal out here but I'm just happy to be out of Sydney and within walking distance of the broad water! I can't wait to get a tinny and take my girlfriend and dog exploring Very Happy

kindcorals

Back to top Go down

Post  Zhyr on 22nd September 2012, 4:43 pm

Last edited by zhyr on 12th December 2012, 5:02 am; edited 1 time in total

Zhyr

Back to top Go down

Post  kindcorals on 23rd September 2012, 4:25 am

That's something I would actually do and I'm sure she'll get me back when I'm not looking lol

kindcorals

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down