DeadSled's New 2.5ft Tank Build Thread.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

DeadSled's New 2.5ft Tank Build Thread.

Post  DeadSled on 12th October 2012, 1:59 pm

So i doubt many of you newer guys would of seen my old 6ft setup.. but it never quite turned out to be as awesome as i had hoped. Water changes costed a lot, equipment was expensive (so me being the usual tightass used my leftover 4ft stuff on it..) and in general it was an average setup. Anywho, sold the setup to some old guy and have downsized to smaller and greater things!

The new tank, which i just picked up this arvo is a 30" x 18 x 18. Its somewhere between 36 - 40g (depending which online volume calculator you use) and it has a starfire front panel which should be really amazing, i hope. Never had a starfire tank so i'm really keen to see just how mint it is.

Specs so far are:

• Tank: 30 x 18 x 18 with Starfire front panel.
  • Glass-Holes Super Nano Overflow Box Complete Kit.
  • Glass-Holes 3/4" Inch Loc-Line Return Kit.
  • Sump: 30 x 11D x 15H.
  • Berlin Sump Acrylic Mount with Filter Sock for sump filtration, along with a refugium.
  • Lighting: 150w Haiyang clip on metal halide with 20k bulb.
  • Skimmer: Bubble Magus NAC-7.
  • Wave-making: Tunze Nanostream 6015.
  • Return: Aquaworld 800lph (Will likely upgrade to something bigger, but will see how this performs.

I am not sure just yet what i will be putting into the tank as far as livestock goes, but i would like a pair of ocellaris clownfish since we can't get anything too fancy here like the ORA stuff as far as i know. I would like to eventually have SPS corals but have a few nice ricordias and a nice bubble coral that i will put down low.

Other than that, it will have a simple aqua scape and I have some cool rocks already that i believe are "fiji" rocks.. long, thin branchy looking stuff.. and will get a few select pieces of live rock from one of my lfs to seed onto that rock. Will be having a thinnish sand bed with fine white sand.

Anyway, heres a pic of the tank so far. I'm really stoked on this, really can't wait to get it setup. You can see my clip on halide in the background. I'm going to have to fabricate a stainless mount for this as it won't mount onto the tank like it did my mates tank that it used to live on. Nevertheless, it'll be very tidy.

DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Re: DeadSled's New 2.5ft Tank Build Thread.

Post  DeadSled on 13th October 2012, 12:08 pm

Quick update, heres a picture of my cabinet. I've now got the sides and doors off as well as the inside shelf out. Going to clean it up a little and mock up my tank and sump and see how things go, before I give it a sand and paint job. Also will end up hole sawing the back for return and drain pipes but will have to work out the plumbing before I get to all of that.

I love grainy instagram photos! (Not really, this one turned out crap Sad )

Anyway, heres a pic of a first mock up. It looks good, but i'm undecided whether or not to take the top off and make it a flyshit wider. About 5mm of the tank is overhanging the back, i don't know whether it'd be an issue or not?

Need opinions!

As you can see, its overhanging a few mm on the back and the front isn't supported because of how the top rolls. I'm leaning towards making a new top for it..

Also thinking i may need to make new doors and lose the drawers if the skimmer ends up being too tall. Not to worry, i've got heaps of room in there if need be!
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled on 15th October 2012, 5:23 am

I fixed the overhang issue by simply adding a piece to the back, and with some nails and glue it'll give that extra 5mm some support.

I've gotten the stand all sanded down and ready to paint, but am waiting on my NAC-7 before I decide what's happening with the drawers. I likely will get rid of them and make some taller doors in place of them, for the extra space.

Edit: Here's some pics from today.

Fixed the sides in the stand, and then got it all sanded and ready to paint.

DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled on 17th October 2012, 4:27 am

Heres what i've gotten done so far, as well as a few goodies from around the place..

My box of stuff from "Glassholes.com" came the other day, including a pimp as overflow box and return line, along with a really nice acrylic filter sock mount with sock. Really happy with this stuff, highly recommend them.

I fabbed up a light fixture bracket the other day..

And here all my goodies I got from glass-holes. I tried drilling a spare old glass lid i had lying around, it cracked the first time and had about a 10mm crack the second go. I might be good at fabricating steel but drilling glass doesn't seem to be my forte. I ended up getting the tank shop to drill it yesterday for me.

So this is what i got done yesterday..

Got the tank drilled for the overflow and return today, and went to the local plumbing shop and hardware and picked up some fittings and pipe, plumbers glue and silicon.

Here is the overflow box when i got it mocked up to see how it all fitted.

Then after siliconing that i did the return. It was about now that i thought "####, i forgot to paint the back of the tank.." but no matter, i'll just mask it up and paint it tomorrow.

Heres the overflow plumbing all done..

And one of the whole lot done. You may notice the return has the bottom missing, i've made it all up but just haven't glued it together just yet.

So thats about where i'm at with it at the moment. Need to prime and paint the light bracket, knock out the drawers section of the cabinet and make taller doors, then paint the whole lot. Still waiting on my skimmer so i can get my sump baffles in place..

And heres my stuff i got in the mail today Very Happy

DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  finfan on 17th October 2012, 3:16 pm

Some very nice kit you have there....looking forward to the internal layout

Keep the great info coming.... Very Happy

Cool

finfan

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled on 17th October 2012, 4:32 pm

Cheers mate, finally got a tank setup that actually has real quality equipment on it haha. I'm really looking forward to getting it wet and loving how its coming along. The rock scape will be something simple and not over the top. Will be good but don't have much of a plan for it yet since never know what rock you'll find at the shops.
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled on 17th October 2012, 4:35 pm

Well i got some baffles cut today. The tall ones are a dvd case width from the bottom which i think will provide more than enough room for water to flow through without being restricted, and then i have the smaller ones which will have roughly an inch high sandbed between them, with some live rock rubble and caulerpa algae as a refugium.

Also as you can see in the picture is my NAC-7 skimmer, and my glass-holes overflow mount / sock. The mount is going to sit about in line with the highest baffle though, so that the water isn't overflowing from the sock instead having to pass through it, as opposed to if it was where it is now.

DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled on 21st October 2012, 9:01 am

Bit of an update.. tank is now running with some freshly purchased live rock so hopefully will see a cycle start in the next few days.

Anyway heres some pictures.

Heres one of my sump so far. I did end up making an acrylic platform to raise the skimmer about 6" higher in the water column.

This was before raising the skimmer and adding sand.

I did a freshwater test all day saturday and had to silicon a small leak where my american check valve joined with an aussie elbow joint, even though it was glued i suppose there was a little bit of a gap that the glue missed. Pretty easy fix.

Here is a full tank shot so far.

DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled on 12th November 2012, 1:38 pm

So bit of an update.. changed the rocks around, finally found some powerheads on the cheap to keep my 4ft holding tanks water circulating so i could throw my tunze in.. and other than that just letting the tank continue cycling (onto the 4th week now).

Here is the pics.. straight from my iphone.

DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top