Red Sea Max S-650

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Red Sea Max S-650

Post  rabucazz on 19th October 2012, 3:38 pm

Hi Guys,

First of all I would like to say that I was reluctant to post my new tank journal. Most of the people here are pretty handy and build their own tanks, stand, sump and etc. I have never been capable of doing that, even though I tried to find a good second hand tank to rebuild the way I wanted. It turned out that I couldnít find any tank, when I found one the seller didnít agree with offer I made.
After three months searching I started to look at brand new tanks. I went to three known budget tank builders and none of them were able to provide me with a quotation due to the high volume of work; so started searching at local fish shops.
I was very surprised when I saw the new Red Sea Max S-650. Beautiful project with built in top up water reservoir, four internal pumps, skimmer, 8000L/h return pump, T5 light fixture (Iíd rather use LED), big sump, power centre to control all the equipments the tank needs, plumbing, cabinet with room for the chiller in it and back weir where the internal pumps sit. On the top of all, cabinet and tank can come in black color, exactly what I was looking for.
The tank has been running for 2 weeks now and the water isnít stabilized yet and the algae grow is already visible. I added a few tough corals I had, as the majority of my other corals and all my fishes have been waiting on to water containers.

Some info on the tank:
System water volume combined aquarium and sump = 650L (5ft aquarium)
Lighting Ė standard configuration 10 x T5 (5 x 10,000K + 5 x actinic) + LED moonlights = 800W
Main system pump = 9000L/h
Total circulation - Sump return + hidden individual 2,000 L/h = 15000 L/h
Protein skimmer - C-Skim 1800
External dimensions (cm) Height: 168, Width: 70, Length (according to model): 161 cm

Some illustrative photos:

My tank photos:

As the tank progresses I'll update this thread. Hope you guys like it.

Last edited by rabucazz on 28th October 2012, 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

rabucazz

Back to top Go down

Re: Red Sea Max S-650

Post  Makaira on 20th October 2012, 1:11 am

hey mate looks like its go all the gear.

was that the one at pet city?
Makaira

Back to top Go down

Post  finfan on 20th October 2012, 1:43 am

I wŗs only looking at one of those the other day....

Wow they are impressive, good size, good flow and I love the little power control module...everything is good but personally I would change one thing - the return section runs the tank water directly onto a black sponge as a pre-filter- for me this would have to go, replaced with a simple sock you can change regularly...then put coral rollers and grow algae over it with some cheap LED lighting in the next section - I reckon you would have near the perfect design then....

But hey that said, I'm sure Red sea know what there doing when they built that design....

I especially like the rolling light set up on top very cool gear...

Nice stuff mate - keep the pics coming of the progress....we can pack it with Copper bands in no time.... Laughing

Cool

finfan

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 20th October 2012, 2:49 am

There is some top looking gear around these days, quite a while ago dupla here in Auz had a 4 foot set up with total control and all digital and automatic before anything was digital, set and forget, it did all dosing,RO to up, chilling, lighting changes, buffering, everything including feeding the tank.

If you could combine it with my original inspiration for the use of algae you would be laughing.

I got my inspiration from a neighbour in the eighties that had made something like a solar water heater to an on roof algae scrubber for his marine tank.

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 20th October 2012, 2:56 am

rabucazz wrote:Hi Guys,

First of all I would like to say that I was reluctant to post my new tank journal. Most of the people here are pretty handy and build their own tanks,

I just read this!

Don't ever think that mate,we are all equal,we are all hobbyists,plus we are fellow club memebrs and fellow collectors.

Personaly i love seeing some up to date gear and related tech stuff,more power to you and keep the the pics coming. cheers cheers

Just one more thing mate, go through all your electrics and areas near electrics and spray them with nulon or basic silicon spray then wipe it off.
donít get any in the water or spray over the water at all,if it touches the water it will most likely kill the PH.
This will not allow the salt to actually stick and make all bits last forever and a day.

Do this each few months,not where the water goes!!!and things will last really well.

I wipe my light tubes and ends and the tombstones, then apply this, I do it each two months.

Use it on the ends of power points, power boards, donít use any on skimmers and power heads of course, just any where there are screws, metal of any types, any of these that donít actually make contact with the water.

Clean the area,spray it on,wipe it off,its up to you.

Last edited by liquidg on 20th October 2012, 4:34 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled on 20th October 2012, 4:01 am

You really couldn't buy a tank and stand for under nearly 6 thousand dollars?

Holy shit.

DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  saltz on 20th October 2012, 5:41 am

That is one good looking tank & cabinet, it's got some really good design like the consolidated power boards that slides out, inbuilt freshwater reserviour, but then really disappointing old-school toilet-cistern style float valve in the sump Rolling Eyes

Iggy, the RSM tanks are not designed to use macro-algae, it's meant to rely heavily on dosing with products like Zeovit, hence the small sump. Honestly speaking, if I've got the $$$ to get all the best equipment as well as being able to keep up with the maintenance cost, this is the tank I would go for.

Rod, do keep posting pics and updates on this journal thread, I would love to see the progress and maybe when I win the lottery, I'll get 1 too. Very Happy

saltz

Back to top Go down

Post  rabucazz on 20th October 2012, 7:32 am

scottatwello,
Yes, this is the one that was sitting on Pet City.

Ignobolis
I agree with you, that sponge isn't my favorite either. However, I can easily remove and use a filter sock instead. There a good size chamber in the sump where I can use reactors or grow algae. I already have algae and cheap lights in place. I gotta take a photo or two to show you guys.

liquidg
Thanks for the spray hint. I'll do that shortly.

DeadSled
Money isn't the question here. I saw some second hand tanks that I didn't buy because the seller wanted $800. I would have to stain the cabinet, drill holes, remove or add a chamber on the sump, and etc. I didn't find a good cost benefit second hand tank. I had been looking for one for over 3 months. Besides, if I had done all these sort of thing, the final result would be a mess as I know myself and how I enjoy doing all these sort of things. Evil or Very Mad

dendrobate
As I said before, there is a good size chamber in the sump. I'm using that with macro algae. You are right, Red Sea didn't design the tank for algae, but it's possible to have them.

Thanks for all the comments guys.

rabucazz

Back to top Go down

Post  teltak on 24th October 2012, 3:55 am

Looks like a nice tank Rod! Is is starfire glass? I can see that hood begging to be converted to led Smile
teltak

Back to top Go down

Post  Zhyr on 24th October 2012, 9:36 am

it's a gorgeous tank. Heavy as all hell though.

Yes, The front pane is starfire. Think it's about 12mm.
All up, it looks like a really well designed all in one set up.
Came with everything except water, live rock/stock and a chiller.... though I do believe it came with a instore voucher so there's some live stock Razz

Zhyr

Back to top Go down

Post  rabucazz on 24th October 2012, 2:48 pm

teltak,

I am looking forward to have LED instead of T5. Nothing against T5, but it is expensive to replace the light tubes every 6 - 8 months. Besides, it generates too much heat.

zhyr helped me out with the tank. It is supposed to be carried by four strong men, but it turned out that there were just three available, and I am not that strong. Embarassed

Just got the confirmation from Pet City, where I bought the tank. Red Sea will provide me with some products for one year, free of any charge. It's a sort of sponsorship program. All I have to do is to report the tank progress. My reports will be posted on their website, facebook and forums.

I will receive the following products:

1. Reef Foundations Test Kit
2. Algae Control Test Kit
3. ABC Powder (1kg)
4. NoPox (1L)
5. Energy A (500ml)
6. Energy B (500ml)
7. Reef Colour Testing Kit
8. 1 x EACH Reef Colours A, B, C, D (500ml) replenished on a monthly basis.

I always wondered if all these things work as expected but never wanted spend the money.

rabucazz

Back to top Go down

Post  Makaira on 25th October 2012, 1:42 am

happy to do some soldering for free rod if you end up getting a led kit, however igno would be the best on advice for colours and layout etc.
Makaira

Back to top Go down

Post  rabucazz on 25th October 2012, 2:14 am

scottatwello wrote:happy to do some soldering for free rod if you end up getting a led kit, however igno would be the best on advice for colours and layout etc.

Thanks mate. I'll start thinking LED after 6 months from now!

rabucazz

Back to top Go down

Post  mykez on 25th October 2012, 6:39 am

yeh don't order any till you talk to me. I'll have to be ordering some as well
mykez

Back to top Go down

Post  finfan on 25th October 2012, 10:19 am

Hi All

I always get hammered by a few Chinese electronic manufacturers about new and upcoming LED lighting for aquariums - I will post up some pics and pricing over the next few days -its typically CREE 3watt and now in multiple colours with dimming control....all built and quite cheap ....pretty good stuff if building your own doesn't interest you or you simply don't have the resources.

Cool

finfan

Back to top Go down

Post  rabucazz on 25th October 2012, 4:17 pm

The question is: does this Chinese LED really supply what the corals need?

I've added all my corals in my new tank today, and I miss my LED as the colours are not the same at all. They look pale.

rabucazz

Back to top Go down

Post  finfan on 25th October 2012, 11:08 pm

Yer - I know what you mean...

Once LED lighting has been used -nothing else compares. The " pop" in colours that can be achieved is awesome.

Yes the Chinese lighting offers the range - but to truley get the best colours , go custom made. The 2:1 Royal Blue / 6500k just looks great for all corals - splash in some 10k and UV and turquoise and you really get the W Shocked W factor

Cool

finfan

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 26th October 2012, 12:44 am

I was on another forum the other day about LEDs and they said my corals were fluorescing green from stress and LEDs cannot do other colours and T5s and metal halides are best.

Geez,where do they hide,LEDs go up to 100 watts per diode now with very powerful optics to get the light way down, halide from cooking your fish and inverts are back where they should be, party lighting, keeping food warm or street lights.

T5s
Now they are okay, but the LED out put per watt and the length of time before changes, they are dead as well.

The only thing that Leds need is balancing of colours to get it right and ignobolis has done some work on that.

My crappy old x-re crees are supposedly stressing my corals and wont allow anything beyond green in the corals, well my obsession with green corals is done and the purple stags that are in for a while now with them seem to want to stay happy and purple???

How is that possible?lol.

Personally if I could,I would have sky light tubes with UV filters on them and LEDs,how could you go wrong.

Back to top Go down

Post  rabucazz on 26th October 2012, 4:11 am

It turns out that Ignobolis is very good dealing with tank, cabinet, lighting fixture and everything aquarium related. I reckon he should quit his current job to work with aquarium stuff! I would be his customer. Very Happy

rabucazz

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasonredsea on 26th October 2012, 5:41 am

Hi Rod Tagging along mate were are the photos lol!
Regards Jason

Jasonredsea

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 26th October 2012, 5:51 am

Uh oh,you are being checked on mate,lol.

He is right though,more photos.
cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  rabucazz on 26th October 2012, 2:13 pm

The tank is now in its third week. Algae are growing now and the bare bottom is all covered, so is the back of the tank. As the tank is still cycling itís expected, so no worries about it. Tests still shows some nitrite(0,1mg/L), phosphate(0.25mg/L) and high nitrate(10mg/L). Despite of that the corals and fishes donít seem to be struggling. As everything looks very good. The quality of the photos is not the best. The coral colors look better than that, but as I wrote before, LED makes them look much nicer.

rabucazz

Back to top Go down

Post  Zhyr on 27th October 2012, 4:46 am

looking good Smile

Zhyr

Back to top Go down

Post  finfan on 27th October 2012, 7:34 pm

rabucazz wrote:It turns out that Ignobolis is very good dealing with tank, cabinet, lighting fixture and everything aquarium related. I reckon he should quit his current job to work with aquarium stuff! I would be his customer. Very Happy

Too kind mate - thanks

Truth is I am just learning like all of us - its fun and very interesting.....with a great club full of knowledge and a willingness to help cheers

Your tank is going well - the algae is normal and is looking great - that is such a awesome tank and will only get better with time. I particularly like your leather and Gonnie - they look fantastic - very healthy.....great stuff mate.

Cool

finfan

Back to top Go down

Post  teltak on 28th October 2012, 8:46 am

rabucazz wrote:zhyr helped me out with the tank. It is supposed to be carried by four strong men, but it turned out that there were just three available, and I am not that strong. Embarassed

Mate, if you ever need a hand with anything I am just up the road. Dont hesitate to ask!

Tank is looking great! Is this your first marine or are you progressing to a bigger tank?

Pete
teltak

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum