Hey everyone

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hey everyone

Post  shon982 on 26th April 2013, 3:31 pm

Hey guys

New member here, used to have a marine tank many years ago but have been keeping and breeding tanganyikan cichlids and I guess I'm pretty well known for that
This time round I bought a second hand Boyu 128L cube tank, I think its roughly a 50cm cube with the sump in the back

Right now, it has freshwater in it because I was cleaning it out and seeing if the pump worked etc.

It has Creed LEDs, the sump in the back has no media in it yet, I do have the cheap looking skimmer that it came with and there is a UV steralizer built in as well

Few questions, should I use the skimmer?
For media in the sump, should I just use base/live rock?

I will be buy some coral sand substrate tomorrow, and collecting saltwater when I get a chance.

Any other tips? things I'm forgetting as I slowly start this up?

Plans are a low maintenance reef tank, no dosing, monthly water changes...

Cheers
Shon

shon982

Back to top Go down

Re: Hey everyone

Post  Kitiara on 27th April 2013, 4:46 am

Welcome.

I have the smaller 50L version of this tank on my desk at work. The skimmer is crap, very hard to tune in. I ended up giving up. Eventually I will look for another that will fit and replace it, but till then it is just running skimmerless.

For media keep it simple and stuff that you can clean out easily. With an all in one you can't really prefilter so you need to be able to get the waste out somehow. Mine has sponge down the bottom and a bag of ceramic rings on top (you could also use a bag of coral rubble, I used what I had instead of buying more) I also have a bag of chemipure in there as well. I normally do a 1/3 water change around every 2 weeks and rinse the media in the water I have pulled out of the tank and then replace. So far it has been running fine for around 12 months though I don't have much of a load (2 small fish and some easy corals)

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  shon982 on 27th April 2013, 6:29 am

Thanks for the reply Smile

I guess I'll ditch the skimmer in that case

I was thinking of just mechanical filtration in the first chamber - sponges and filter wool so I can easily clean that out whenever it needs to be
Then second chamber maybe just live/base rock?
Third chamber something like purigen or bags of crushed coral? Or more live/base rock?

I am collection water for the tank today and adding substrate then I will leave it for a week or so before adding some live rock

shon982

Back to top Go down

sounds like fun,

Post  Makaira on 27th April 2013, 10:53 am

sounds like fun mate .i miss that phase of my tank. the anticipation and excitment of a glass box filled with water. some thing only us in the hobby understand.
i would make a suggestion of using something in the tank to bring up the ammonia levels before adding the live rock. otherwise they bacteria etc wont have anything to feed on. im sure someone will correct me on the actually process but thats just my 2 cents.
i used shredded squid tubes to kick start mine.

if you could also get some filter media out of an established tank. like some coral rubble etc

all the best with the tank mate. and welcome
Makaira

Back to top Go down

Post  shon982 on 27th April 2013, 12:07 pm

haha very exciting! I am getting my saltwater and some live rock to start off with tomorrow Smile

I've been keeping and breeding Tanganyikan cichlids for the last 5 or so years and they're the closet freshwater fish to saltwater fish
They'll always be my priority as I have a pretty big collection of species but the temptation of a marine tank has always been there lol

Thanks for the tips!

shon982

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum