first marine tank

Go down

first marine tank

Post  newreefer on 25th June 2013, 12:47 pm

Hi I have got myself a tl550 128 litre tank never had anything to do with marine besides being a keen fisherman :)and would love as much advice as yous can give ive got the cycling tank part it is adding and keeping coral that I have no idea

newreefer

Back to top Go down

Re: first marine tank

Post  liquidg on 26th June 2013, 2:51 pm

The first reef aquarium is a big deal mate, ask away on any subject.
We will be glad to help!

cheers

Back to top Go down

???

Post  newreefer on 27th June 2013, 10:13 am

I don't know much I know about the tank cycling but once the tank is cycled than How do you add coral and is there anything you add to tank ect ect I will be getting wave maker and rest of media and live rock on weekend probably

newreefer

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 27th June 2013, 11:18 am

You need to achieve maturity before corals are added and just before that, get into a water change schedule of no less then 25 percent for the first two months each week and lesson the size of the water change each month until 6 months is up and from then on around 10 to 20 percent water changes.
The thing with wave makes is they clean sps corals of rubbish that settles on them in particular.
In the ocean the waves and to some degree the currents do that.
If sps are not kept clean, the will die for sure!
When you get acropora staghorn corals, make sure they have an acro crab with in the branches, they eat the bacteria that will try to establish on the coral that may spread over the polyps kill them all.
With acro stags all it takes is a little rubbish to settle on them for a few weeks and that area is deprived of light and oxygen and these polyps die and some times that can set off a chain reaction and the entire colony of polyps will follow suit and bleach and most likely die!
If they do not die over all, the area of dead polyps attracts algae and it will try to cover the rest of the acropora and give you head aches from then on.
Keep your live rock load slight and rely on base rock more so for media to house biological life, just sit some colonised live rock here and there if you want the hitchhikers that come with it.
Live rock has an abundance of toxins as it acclimatisers to tank life which takes a year or two and those toxins will potentially kill your fish and corals, thatís partly what the water changes are for.
Even though your tank has cycled, hang a small hand full of marinara mix from the supermarket in your waters somewhere like your sump and refresh this each two weeks.
Once you get continual-absolute zero nitrites, start your water changes and after the third water change.
To control phosphates and toxins use a small phos reactor and a medium algae environment, the two together will help look after your corals.
Have a read of how I keep my corals.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down