South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Making your own coral encrusted live rock.

Go down

Making your own coral encrusted live rock. Empty Making your own coral encrusted live rock.

Post  liquidg 2nd August 2013, 4:04 pm

This is how I use to put my corals onto the aquarium walls in the eighties, I am back at it again.
This is the second lot for this aquarium.

First up I have my sterilised dead rock that I have trimmed the back off to a smooth surface to sit against the glass wall of my aquarium and there are cuts for the glue made with an angle grinder with a diamond blade.

Then it was put in hot water with chlorine for two days and it is very dead.

The dead rock from there has been sitting on top of my media in the “wet section only” as my bio filter which runs my tubs waters.
This was for two months to get rid of all dead life and the chlorine on and in it as well.
This is it in the bowl and there are some tools,glue,tissue and rags all ready to make a piece of wonderful live rock, which at this stage has only bacteria and protists on board from my other bio system.

Making your own coral encrusted live rock. Making-live-rock-1-_zpsec624eaa

The hole drilled for hooking on glass hook glued to rear of aquarium is ready.
Making your own coral encrusted live rock. Making-live-rock-2-_zpsb643bc3e

Now I drill holes and cut ridges to make sure the glue stays attached as this dead rock is still wet.
Making your own coral encrusted live rock. Making-live-rock-3-_zps5af93e4a

Making your own coral encrusted live rock. Making-live-rock-4-_zps385f4ec7

Making your own coral encrusted live rock. Making-live-rock-5-_zps6a8f5a04

All coral pieces are sat on wet tissue paper ready to have cuts put in the rear of them so the glue attaches them to the dead coral really well.
Making your own coral encrusted live rock. Making-live-rock-6-_zps577092be

All corals are glued on and have wet tissue paper on them to keep them cool and wet while the epoxy resin glue cures.
Making your own coral encrusted live rock. Making-live-rock-7-_zps8e204834

I pour cool salt water, that I put in the fridge, from the tubs over them once each hour to keep the corals closed, dormant and healthy.
Making your own coral encrusted live rock. Making-live-rock-8-_zpsdf1fda98

Glue has set and the piece of dead rock is ready to be sat over the glass hook I glued onto the back of the aquarium some days ago.
Making your own coral encrusted live rock. Making-live-rock-10-_zps1bd4cbd0

This is the same peice of dead rock four month's later.
Making your own coral encrusted live rock. Top-right-of-top-tank-02-08_zpse1b5ea7b
liquidg
liquidg

Back to top Go down