South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Butterfly fish and clowns fighting?

3 posters

Go down

Butterfly fish and clowns fighting? Empty Butterfly fish and clowns fighting?

Post  mandy&son 11th June 2009, 2:11 am

Hi again
You know i was going to look for another fish for my sons nano tank,i will refer to it as a nano now,maybe i will sound like i know something.
The fish he chose on sunday was a butterfly fish,they don't look like butterfles. Laughing
These saltwater fish have some strange names.
My problem is ,when the butterfly goes near the nemos they attack the poor little fellow,do you think this will become a problem.
I can't see that he has been hurt,i was just a bit worried as these saltwater fish are very expensive.
Is this aproblem? Very Happy

mandy&son

Back to top Go down

Butterfly fish and clowns fighting? Empty in fighting

Post  Guest 11th June 2009, 2:18 am

I am not overly experienced mandy,so i will go with the butterfly is seen a as threat for some reason by the clownfish(nemos)whats the general opinion here.

Back to top Go down

Butterfly fish and clowns fighting? Empty fighting

Post  Guest 11th June 2009, 3:09 am

Max is quite right mandy!The problem is that the clowns know instinctively that the butterfly fish (chaetodon) that is the latin name for butterfly fish, is a coral eater which includes taking bites out of the base and trunk of a anemone as well so the clowns will protect the anemone from attack if they can.
That is the true Symbiotic existence that they achieve together, the anemone provides the safety of its sting and the clowns have prepared a carbon copy of on them selves the mucus that coats the anemone so the anemone doesn’t know the clowns are there and they do the best they can to fight off threats to the anemone.

They should be fine mandy!The ocean is full of territories,as will be in your tank,but they don't always kill for those territories.

Back to top Go down

Butterfly fish and clowns fighting? Empty Re: Butterfly fish and clowns fighting?

Post  DeadSled 11th June 2009, 11:59 am

Another point.. sometimes for a day or two a new fish will be harrassed by the other fish until they get used to it being there. Its nothing new, we all have experienced it before. They'll more than likely be friends in no time at all.
DeadSled
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Butterfly fish and clowns fighting? Empty thank you

Post  mandy&son 11th June 2009, 1:21 pm

Kind words, helpful hints, you people aren’t normal! Shocked
Where are the egos, the complicated wording, the condescending comments, I thought the collecting thing you people do meant something else, you all just have a great time<so lucky>and treat every one else with respect, thank you, I MEAN THAT.
Very Happy

mandy&son

Back to top Go down

Butterfly fish and clowns fighting? Empty Re: Butterfly fish and clowns fighting?

Post  neman 11th June 2009, 1:34 pm

just curious what type of butterfly is it ?my favourite butterflys are the copperband ive always had success
getting them to eat frozen brineshrimp

neman

Back to top Go down

Butterfly fish and clowns fighting? Empty The fish?

Post  mandy&son 11th June 2009, 1:53 pm

I am sorry i don't know what it is.
The person at the shop said what it was and i don't remember.
It is mainly yellow with a large blue blotch on each side and a black line down its head over its eye and a black dot each side at the back. Very Happy

mandy&son

Back to top Go down

Post  neman 12th June 2009, 4:10 am

Blue Spot Butterflyfish is that what it is?

neman

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled 12th June 2009, 5:30 am

Is this it?

Butterfly fish and clowns fighting? Butterfly_plebeius
DeadSled
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Butterfly fish and clowns fighting? Empty thats the one

Post  mandy&son 12th June 2009, 9:20 am

Yes thats the fish we got,it seems to be eating very well and the problem seems to have settled down now.
The nemos are sought of ignoring it,except when it comes really close.
Thanks guys for the help. Very Happy

mandy&son

Back to top Go down

Post  neman 12th June 2009, 10:56 am

its good his eatihng butteflies can sometimes be a little tricky to get eating.

try things like frozen brine shrimp .mysis shrimp flake anything you have that fish can eat
you can buy nori sheets in woolies or iga.

if you dont know what it is it sea weed in paper form
they use it to make sushi which i love to eat .

another thing you can try or anyone else can aswell
is lumpfish caviar.
available in red or black colour
from woolies its in the cheese meat section i use it for fish newly acquired its in a 100 gram jar
for about 5 dollars its meant for human consumption but works as a fishy food aswell

neman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down