Hi From Clayton

Go down

Hi From Clayton

Post  ClaytonR on 28th November 2013, 9:23 am

Hi Guys and Girls my name is Clayton and I am a long time High tech planted tank keeper looking to make the jump across to Reef.

I will be looking to start a new tank (4x2x2ft) soon, I need to spend some more time researching first.

this looks like a great source of local knowledge.

thanks

Clayton.

ClaytonR

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi From Clayton

Post  finfan on 28th November 2013, 3:16 pm

Hi Clayton

Yep you should find lots of interesting info around the various threads on this site - hope you find it helpful.

Welcome mate, thanks for getting involved.
Cool

finfan

Back to top Go down

Bought a tank

Post  ClaytonR on 15th December 2013, 3:12 am

I just bought a second hand Aquareef 400 set up and should be picking it up this afternoon.

the guy I bought it off is upgrading to a 1000L tank and is taking the live rock, coral, fish etc.

I will start a tank journal soon, need to start buying some goodies.

I think I will add add;

2 x Jebao WP-40 with the new controllers and variable voltage power supplies so I can slow them down.
1 x Teco TR-20 Chiller
2 x Aqua illumination Hydra 52 lights
it has a new refugium sump set up with miracle mud but I might need to modify to fit a new skimmer
possible new skimmer Deltec SC1350
possible new return pump Eheim 5000 (T off to chiller as well with return to sump)
auto water top up

haven't thought about dosing yet

I still need to get some egg grate and probably loving for 40-60Kg Live rock

cheers.

ClaytonR

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 15th December 2013, 5:54 am

Itís a shame the light fitting couldnít be reworked to incorporate a few cyan diodes.
Over sounds good mate, I would go with a halea chiller though and not the teco, but its all good.
We are getting lights from china soon; I am going with a better spectrum as well.
I see you are thinking of a deltec skimmer,the little I have had to do with skimmers in the last 20 years, from what I have seen, the deltecs are the way to go.
Good luck with it all and if in doubt, start a thread and we will help all that we can.

Back to top Go down

Chiller choice

Post  ClaytonR on 15th December 2013, 6:23 am

the main reason I am going to go with the TR-20 is because it's air intake is underneath.

this means I can cut 25mm holes in the base of the Aquareef stand so that it picks up cool air off my tile floor.

the aquareef 400 stands sit on feet so allows airflow in underneath.

this way I can keep the chiller in the stand and just duct the hot air out and around the back.

I actually have a HC-500A that is near new from my fresh water tank - I have it for sale on gumtree at the moment.

ClaytonR

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 15th December 2013, 11:51 am

Yours sounds like a very neat set up, it will be great to see some pics.

Behind my aquariums its not great to look at, well more like down right ugly,lol, lucky they are both in the wall.
I have my chiller as far away from the aquarium as possible for the sake of its electrics and rust potential on metals with in and I have the hot air ducted out of the room or it warms the water to a degree.
My ways are just to get as much cooling out of my little old chiller as possible and have the chiller last for ever, well almost,lol.
They are supposed to be moisture/humidity resistant, but that has been disproved before.
I take mine apart after each season and lube the fan bush and check the circuitry for corrosion, silicon spray everything after a good clean lightly with compressed air and leave RO water and fabric softener in the pipes till next time.
What are you thinking of keeping, more so above anything else?

Back to top Go down

Tank inhabitants

Post  ClaytonR on 15th December 2013, 2:03 pm

yea I would keep the chiller away from the tank too if I could but is just not possible where it will be located in the house.

I guess I will just have to do regular checks - thanks for the tips

I am looking to keep mainly soft corals and LPS as this I my first marine setup

I haven't looked into the fish side much, I have always been into the Dutch style setup for fresh water where it is all about he plants.

I live in Brighton so will be off to visit 100% reef safe in Margate in the near future.

I have heard that it will be a good place to grab live rock etc.

I will put some pics up once things start to happen.

Cheers

ClaytonR

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 15th December 2013, 2:25 pm

If you want to do an lps/planted reef tank itís really very easy and extremely pretty.
Just sterilise your base rock and substrate media so there are no types of hitch hikers and maybe get some acans to begin with, they are pretty and tough, then get into some colourful non invasive algae variations and maybe some elegant corals, soft corals and the sky is the limit.
If everything is sterilised and life added is checked carefully, there is no chance of hair algae, colonising anemones or algae exterminators getting in.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum