second time marine!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

second time marine!

Post  noddy89 on 29th March 2014, 2:58 pm

So the battle was won with the minister of war and finance and now i'm the new owner of a 2.5' x 14" x 18" (LWH) tank. the dimensions work very well together. perhaps a couple of more inches in width but ahh well. Most fish stock in my previous 2ft was given to my brother in his near fishless 6ft. Pineapple fish was my favourite- ate very well but was too cranky to anything else.
anyway, here it is;
With a bit of welding and wood work the centre brace was removed to fit in a full length sump underneath.
Specs;
2ft x 12" x 15" custom made (me) sump;
                                                          2000lph return pump
                                                          g224 skimmer in sump
                                                          Cheato algea
                                                          nitra-guard
                                                          live rock
                                                          4x 15w e27 par38 globes
tank;
6000lph wave maker
3000lph wave maker
reef octopus overflow box  Twisted Evil 
1/4hp chiller
165w led fixture (dual dimmer; 7x royal blue, 20x blue, 8x 12.5k white, 6x 7.5k white, 6x 3.5k white, 2x red, 2x green, 4x 460nm violet)
titanium ground probe
natural salt water (everything hasn't been happier! and very little phosphate)

livestock;
~25kg live rock
substrate- sand (less than 5mm depth- large coral rubble on top to stop it flying around!
inverts;
acans- greens, reds, blues, purplish?
goni- 2x pink with purple tips, 1x toxic green
Duncan- 1x cant kill it even if I tried!
morphs- 6x purple, 8 green with pink edge and tinge of blue throughout
hammer- 1x green
leather- 1x brown
waving xenia- 1x pale blue/white
brown xenia- 1x
zoas- 1x large orange tip, 1x toxic green centre 1x fluoro gold tip, brown centre
various hermits, snails, white glove shrimps, coral banded shrimp
fish;
trio of occy clowns (northern territory caught- darker orange and thicker black lines, more black on fins)
1 lavender tang
1 acanthurus  dussumieri (thanks dendrobate)

Pics to follow

noddy89

Back to top Go down

Re: second time marine!

Post  finfan on 29th March 2014, 10:44 pm

Wow - sounds very nice. Great dimensions for the new tank, plenty of room to play.

Looking forward to the pics  Very Happy 

finfan

Back to top Go down

Post  noddy89 on 31st March 2014, 3:41 pm

front shot- excuse the mess. this was just after I removed most of the optics from the led fixture to give a little more spread and lessen the spotlight effect of the red and green leds

skimmer and sump- bag of nitra-guard hanging off the outlets of the skimmer. A form of carbon dosing utilising the red-field ratio from which I understand allows bacteria to feed off carbon, phosphate and nitrates which are then skimmed out. my phosphates are getting too low for the right equation so ive been feeding flake food ("0.2% phosphates") within a week (literally) dropped nitrates from about 10-15 down to 0 on a salifert test kit. Now im thinking. Should I keep the cheato in? will it only grow to what's available? or will it die and release all the nutrients back in if nitrates are too low? I feed 1-2 cubes of frozen "improved" Brine shrimp and marine green each day or two. once a week I feed the corals with half a cube each of rotifers and Cyclops.

front shot- love the separate drivers and full spectrum of these leds.

lavender tang- Acanthurus nigrofuscus- demolishes any type of algea. under the led lights all the shades of orange, salmon, lavender, brown and blue come out. A pretty and understated fish. photos don't do justice. (especially with a smartphone)

big female ocellaris clown. approx. 3" long

noddy89

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:16 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top