Sump advice

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sump advice

Post  Ashlum on 28th July 2014, 4:51 am

I am about to set up my aqua one nano. 55L. The sump is built into the back. I have modified it into two chambers. When i previously had it set up i had one chamber With a bag of charcoal in the bottom and above it was caulerpa. So it was my refugium. My light was on 24/7 to stop it from spawning. Reading up on this forum I see the max of light on should be 20hrs a day.

The other chamber which was slightly larger I had as a DSB. The DSB was not raised to allow water flow under.

At least once every ten days I would do a 60% water change.

In the 12 months I had it set up my purple monti tripled in size and every time I took water to be tested by various pet stores the parameters were fine. Top ups were done with RO water.

I also had a hob attached filled with filter wool. This was changed weekly. Again from what I have read on this forum I should change it every few days.

Any recommendations on how to improve this as I can implement improvements before I set up the tank.

Cheers all
Ash

Ashlum

Back to top Go down

Re: Sump advice

Post  liquidg on 28th July 2014, 10:16 am

The filter wool thing mate is that what it catches, is still in the water!
Until you take it out and clean it of all the faeces, food scraps, plankton shells, algae bits, tiny calcium chunks and more they are still there polluting your water, plus anything “non living” like filter wool will become bio active from 3 to 5 days of being undisturbed in the water, then when you clean it you may cause a slight destabilising of PH due to that bacteria being killed amongst cleaning, that has started to become a bacterium on that filter wool!

A deep sand bed that is not raised off the floor with a gap under it is no big deal, if it remains clean!

The silt that falls through the bed into an open area establishes what’s called a bio sink below or at be base of the anoxic zone, this enables metals to be neutralized and converted to more applicable trace elements.

Algae doesn’t heavily go to spore/spawn due to normal lighting periods, it does this due to undesirable conditions that it is exposed to.
Plus algae will spore here and there no mater what, you just don't normally see it in small amounts.

Apart from these, if what you are doing is working, stick with it!

Last edited by liquidg on 3rd August 2014, 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Ashlum on 28th July 2014, 11:02 am

Thanks for this liquid. The hob was not my original plan but the sump didn't seem too good at cleaning surface water so thus the hob which has a surface skimmer.

In regards to the wool. It sounds like I should clean it every two days to prevent it from becoming bio active and then this regularity will also stop any ph swing. and regular cleaning will remove the pollutants.

Thanks for your advice. Look forward to setting this up
Ash

Ashlum

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 28th July 2014, 12:56 pm

Get some pics up when you can mate, many don't say anything here but many have a look and may get some ideas and inspiration from your set up.

Back to top Go down

Post  Ashlum on 28th July 2014, 10:40 pm

Shall do. Your advice is appreciated. Cheers

Ashlum

Back to top Go down

Post  finfan on 3rd August 2014, 12:26 am

Ashlum

Some food for thought,

Most of us want to keep and grow our marine life, be it fish, SPS or softies - what ever it is, our aim is to successfully keep and grow it. You will notice as you peruse the WWW. that there are many opinions and views, some are good some are completely incorrect but simply a unfounded opinion based on nothing but guesses at best.

You said your montie trippled over 12 months, mate to me it sounds like your method and system worked well. The nutrients held in the wool will feed your corals - so long as they aren't left to rot. The decomposition varies greatly depending on water temp, volume and flow.

I would just recommend getting your own test kits and keeping your eye on the parameters so they best suit what you prefer to keep - otherwise it sounds like you have a good handle on things.

Great stuff.

Cool 

finfan

Back to top Go down

Post  Ashlum on 3rd August 2014, 1:00 am

Hey Ignobolis,
Thank you for your advice. It can be frustrating looking for something on WWW especially when there is so much opinion and guesses. I've got my test kits. A friend dropped over three 25L canisters last night and high tide is at 2ish today so I will be off to collect some waters at 1 and fill her up.

I am not much of a fan of "trying something and seeing how corals react" because I don't like using living things as test subjects. But I know this opens up so many new ways of better keeping aquariums. We wouldn't have the successes generally if people didn't try new processes.

So I'm asking questions. to suck the know how from other people and hopefully avoid mistakes.
Thanks again
Ash

Ashlum

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 3rd August 2014, 1:39 am

Ignobolis wrote:Ashlum

Some food for thought,

Most of us want to keep and grow our marine life, be it fish, SPS or softies - what ever it is, our aim is to successfully keep and grow it. You will notice as you peruse the WWW. that there are many opinions and views, some are good some are completely incorrect but simply a unfounded opinion based on nothing but guesses at best.

You said your montie trippled over 12 months, mate to me it sounds like your method and system worked well. The nutrients held in the wool will feed your corals - so long as they aren't left to rot. The decomposition varies greatly depending on water temp, volume and flow.

I would just recommend getting your own test kits and keeping your eye on the parameters so they best suit what you prefer to keep - otherwise it sounds like you have a good handle on things.

Great stuff.

Cool 

This is all very true Ash!
In my system being of 20c in winter and 24c in summer, the decomposition rate is slightly slower then most reefers, so I have a little more room to breath with this, but some tropical species, I cannot keep in these conditions.
Algae, most corals and semi temperate life forms excel with these temps, so that’s why I do that.
You would have temps at around 25c, I am assuming? That equates to standard decomposition as it is with most reefers. Temps above 22c to 24c and high oxygen levels equates to faster decomposition, we all know that hey!
Dead algae as it looses its protective coating near straight away upon death, will begin to decompose heavily with in two hours making some interesting PH destabilising substances!
Fish waste is already doing it as it comes out of the fish, it releases the fishes own bacterial produced ammonia “already working on its faeces” in to the waters from the get go. From it you will get slight planktonic bacteria that corals will feed on, but its best you don't encourage this by leaving filter wool uncleaned for to long!
Fish recycle their urea so their pee is not really and issue.
Left over fish food is the least polluting of what equates to your tanks waste load as its decomposition rate is some what slower, but we always over feed, so it is a problem!
Algae are the worst due the more robust fermentation processes as your aquariums bacteria break it down. Though this will potentially affect PH, it is a form of carbon dosing, so its good and bad.
In a small tank with a small bio system and not much disturbed waters to act on PH assistance it can be a bad thing over all, but not always noticed until and if ill affects are quite visible.
It is desirable, recommended and simpler for reefers to keep all parameters spot on with the ways most run their tanks and bio systems for all the usual life forms that we love to keep at home.
Good reefing mate!

Last edited by liquidg on 3rd August 2014, 2:55 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 3rd August 2014, 2:10 am

Oh and if you ever want help on parameters, for what i feel is the best place for help on this, ask in this link on reef central and ask Randy, he is a helpful bloke and knows what he is talking about, I wouldn’t ask any one else!!!
http://web1.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=112

Back to top Go down

Post  Ashlum on 3rd August 2014, 11:04 am

Hey LiquidG, thanks for the advice,
I have previously set the heater to 24 degrees. You have also confirmed for me that 1-2 filter wool changes each week would be best. I will be more diligent this time with my testing and have a look on the reef central forum.

Well I have my water. I have been busy cleaning the room and now its on to fill the tank. I will just have the water running so that the tank has water in. Later in the week I will track me down some live rock and live sand for the filtration. I am going to go with the mud and then top it off with an inch of live sand (to keep it in place) Anyone who has advice on this I would love to hear from you.

Cheers
Ash

Ashlum

Back to top Go down

Post  Ashlum on 3rd August 2014, 11:06 am

oh fudge, all my equipment has a UK power plug!!!
ha ha
well I will need to sort that one out.

Ashlum

Back to top Go down

Post  finfan on 6th August 2014, 1:39 am

Ashlum wrote:oh fudge, all my equipment has a UK power plug!!!  
ha ha
well I will need to sort that one out.

Ed's PCs Capalaba has adapters for that.. Very Happy 

Sorry - couldn't help myself  Cool 

finfan

Back to top Go down

Post  Ashlum on 6th August 2014, 9:35 am

I couldn't wait. I cut the chord off an extension lead and connected it to a uk power pack

Ashlum

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top