newbie to reefing

Go down

newbie to reefing

Post  Rebel_ on 31st August 2014, 12:31 am

Hey from sunny bank hills, been lurking for a while and thought its time to get moving with the 600 cube display and fish room change over to marines. Just out of cycling for the display so time to pick your brain liquidg with the move from cichlids to marines. Shocked
The fish room I built was about tackling the big dollars lake Tanganyika deep water benthochromis tricoti to breeding, with that completed now to my next mission in life to collect some of my own marine life and commence to breed specific species that are deemed to hard or have not been done at all.
Canít wait to get going Very Happy

Rebel_

Back to top Go down

Re: newbie to reefing

Post  pyrofish on 31st August 2014, 12:41 am

Great work, there is so much to learn once you go to marine. In fact you never stop learning

pyrofish

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 31st August 2014, 5:43 am

Rebel_ wrote:Hey from sunny bank hills, been lurking for a while and thought its time to get moving with the 600 cube display and fish room change over to marines. Just out of cycling for the display so time to pick your brain liquidg with the move from cichlids to marines. Shocked
The fish room I built was about tackling the big dollars lake Tanganyika deep water benthochromis tricoti to breeding, with that completed now to my next mission in life to collect some of my own marine life and commence to breed specific species that are deemed to hard or have not been done at all.
Canít wait to get going †Very Happy

Pyrofish is so right!
Just ask rebel and I will do what I can!

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 31st August 2014, 7:02 am

Wow I just looked up your fish that you breed mate, very nice!!

The lake you mentioned in Africa, a friend from years back use to go there each year, he was really into cichlids and told me all about that area and made heaps of videos.
Africa was in sort of two halves and where it closed up that area part of it became a massive lake of salt water with a complete eco salt system, till over time it became fresh over thousands of years, so most cichlids are originally salt water species, no wonder in the wild they have near salt water PH.

He would bring back videos of the dives and the collecting they did, what a place, semi salt water diving in fresh water, good for the wet suits, lol.
That was over 20 years back, so it would be heavily regulated now I would assume.

No wonder your fish looks like sort of like an anthia, but i would imagine coming from deep water it would be like a lat to keep.
Shame this is a dedicated salt water forum or I would ask for a thread on how you breed them.

I found this pic by Patrick Tawil of one, very nice!!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebel_ on 31st August 2014, 12:51 pm

Thanks for the replies guys and yes this species of cichlid is very sort after and i have been lucky to know people in the industry and had them imported for the breeding program I embarked on. Once this cycle is completely finished from help in the advice forum here, I will be back on to get help with how to chase my own marines. bounce
Thanks again. cheers

Rebel_

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum