Growing/propagating Halymenia algae.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Growing/propagating Halymenia algae.

Post  liquidg on 6th September 2014, 7:33 am

I grow them from what I call blisters, it is much harder this way but it gives me 100 percent success and endless amounts of new growth, but you need to know Halymenia and ocean life styles to do it this way.

Plus i am a horticulturalist by trade, so itís not that hard, lol.
I make this growth as would many horticulturalists very similar ways as we would with many species of land plants.

First up I make them produce these blisters that will make new blisters if the algae is continually trimmed back.
The best way is by cutting off and laying down the sections of the algae blades weighted down each end bent up in the middle so that the blade is mostly exposed to weak but full spectrum light all the way along this blade of algae, more so in the middle of that blade.

In time if you dose iron, mag,calcium and so on, depending on how much flow and nutrients are available to the algae, there will be blisters appearing in no time.
In some ways you propagate these like you would with morphs.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Cluster of blisters appearing in only three weeks.

Growth from new blister that I separated from the rest with a Stanley knife blade.

Multiple blisters placed in drilled holes in these bits of dried out base rock, then †the blisters forced into the holes so that they attach to the rock making sure light can get to those blisters, then you will get new growth.

New blisters with good growth illuminated with light from quarter watt blue and white diodes in fluoro replacement tubes.

Weak growth with these blisters from low light because of 12 inches of water above to defuse the same lighting.
They become more stringy and less intensity to the over all algae.

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top