Veteran reefer

Go down

Veteran reefer

Post  ReeferRob on 7th September 2014, 11:28 pm

Hello all, been reading here and looking at all your dive photos to get coral placement right. I've been keeping reef tanks since 1986, saltwater fish since 1974. Now I'm sitting here wishing I was down there looking for new critters for my tank. One day I will get to Australia to dive/ snorkel or just wander around in the water.
ReeferRob

Back to top Go down

reefer rob

Post  straddy boy on 8th September 2014, 1:00 pm

Reefer rob
Good to see you like the photos of the coral; all the photos are off the variety s that we see when we are diving. I would love to see some photos of your fish tank. You have been keeping reef tanks for quite a while now. I bet you have some great knowledge about keeping a reef tank; I would like to share some off that from you .hope to hear from you soon.
straddy boy

Back to top Go down

Re: Veteran reefer

Post  ReeferRob on 8th September 2014, 11:18 pm

I'll do that, but it'll be old hat to you, most of my stuff is Australian, Fijian and Indonesian. I have a small favor to ask, could one of you take a salinity reading the next time you go out on a collecting trip?
ReeferRob

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 9th September 2014, 12:25 am

Done it many times mate in open ocean and all other sites in all conditions years ago, PH , KH and nitrate as well.
There are many slight variations, mainly from temperature, but we would take them after rains, in the more robust East ausy current, near the shore line, in estuaries, at varied depths from the surface to 43 metres down and especially with in the thermo clines.
Most of the time I would take my salinity tester with me when getting new salt water, back when I was dependant on water changes.
One thermo cline was fascinating this particular day, the surface temp was 26c degrees and the thermo cline, that are usually between 70 to 80 feet around here, was just under 16c, with in 6 foot of water it went from showing the usual 0.25 to 0.26 and in the therm it was testing just under 0.29, some dense water in that temp range and of course that is where the adult lats are the most common.
Everything was weird that day!!!
Its very hard to test this type of thing due to the waters temp moving quickly to suit where it is when it is in such small quantities which of course alters its density giving another reading.
Personally I have not done this type of thing in well over 25 years, but am sure straddy boy and myself will do it for you, he has more extensive testing gear then myself.
In fact we might just compile some testing on this and put it up, I think Dave has a writing slate. You see I will forget what I tested, lol, straddy boy has a better memory then myself, †plus at depths the mind doesnít function exactly as it did when above the water compared to passing that first atmosphere.
Many years ago, we use to test everything and everywhere, it was a must to find the best water change sites and understand it all.
Its quite funny that the most widely used water change site in SEQ by the water collectors that sell to reefers, is the worst water with pollutants that we do not test for in SEQ, lol.

Back to top Go down

Post  ReeferRob on 9th September 2014, 3:53 am

I've been a diver for the better part of 40 years mate so I know all about the weird things that happen at depth. I've been down as deep as 70 metres on Nitrox back when I was much younger. And yes, before anyone trys to guess, yes, I'm a Yank. I have friends scattered all over Australia that I've been chatting with online for the better part of 15 years. The wife and I WILL get to Australia before we head off this planet. This showed up in a search for Australian coral wholesaler of all things on Google.

Straddy here are pics of the current tank, some aren't up to date, I'll get more when I get the green shag carpet that's overtaken the wife's 130D under control. I bought all 3 of these systems for $200US each.
This is the new hybrid mud/sand fuge on the wife's tank.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Her Clowns, Bonnie and Clyde with 3 GBTAs, did have as many as 11 in a 130, lol. Now down to 2 until they split again which will be VERY soon

Her Tailspot blenny Buddha.

My 57 gallon rimless. It has a lot more Lord Howe acans in it now

For some reason my imgur account is acting up, I'll move some photos to flickr to share.

ReeferRob

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 9th September 2014, 4:24 am

Itís a top sport hey.
I followed my brothers into it on a junior ticket in 1970 as with surfing and spearing being the youngest if three, then did the senior soon after and still to this day love it.
Thanks for the photos and any more you care to share and if you have some dive photos floating around, any and all would be much appreciated.

Back to top Go down

reefer rob

Post  straddy boy on 9th September 2014, 10:43 am

Rod your tank looks interesting the clowns and anemone look healthy. What if any clowns are found in your local area? You see all types of weird and wonderful things when you are on a dive. Keep your eyes on the forum we dive most weekends and are all ways adding our new photos to the forum?
straddy boy

Back to top Go down

Post  ReeferRob on 10th September 2014, 2:18 am

No clowns in the Atlantic, we do have Lionfish now. I think they escaped or were washed into the ocean after Hurricane Andrew went through and flattened south Florida. Dives here are horrid, 1 metre vis and water from 5-20c, the winter here yields the best visibility, but damn if I'm going into 5 degree water! I live in a small town called Bel Air, Md at the top of the Chesapeake Bay. I'm going to try to scan in some of my old dive photos this weekend, it just occurred to me that it's been almost 20 years since I dove for pleasure. Here lately all I've put my gear on for is to repair pumps on my ponds.
ReeferRob

Back to top Go down

Post  ReeferRob on 11th September 2014, 2:35 am

I have a question, some of you mentioned in the collecting thread that you were going for mud. Are you using that in a refugium?

You REALLY don't realize how fortunate you are to be where you are and be in the reef hobby. Most of the Lord Howe Acans you're collecting fetch anywhere from $200- $700US for those colonies. I've seen some of the rare colour morphs sell for more than $1000US! This is for a 10x10cm colony.
ReeferRob

Back to top Go down

veteran reefer

Post  straddy boy on 11th September 2014, 12:16 pm

We have around 20-25 varieties of clown fish here in Australia, our water temperate is quite warm ranging from for 18 degrees in the winter months to 26 degrees in the summer, and the clowns love those warmer temperatures.
Only 1 metre viability when you dive in that must be a little scary at times. Most of the time our visibility is around 10- 20 metres which is great for taking underwater photos. It also helps if here are not too many particles in the water.
Yes we tend to see a lot of lion fish to, some days I have counted 10 -15 of them. Usually they are in one of the reefs we dive which is approx 200 metre in radius.
Damm how big is your pond that you need to use your dive equipment to fix the pumps. I am looking forward to seeing some of your old diving photos when you break them out. We are hoping to go for a dive this weekend to take some more photos if the weather is good.
Have you ever snorkelled in Hawaii, the wife and I are looking at going there for our holidays next year. If you have been and could you can suggest any locations that would be great, just some spots that are easy to snorkel at. We would mainly like to be able to go in the water from off the beach, as itís a lot cheaper to be able to do this, plus my wife is still learning....she getting better with each snorkel.
straddy boy

Back to top Go down

Post  ReeferRob on 12th September 2014, 12:12 am

I've never been to Hawaii, but we'd love to go once. I grow out tilapia for food as well as catfish so I have 15cm pipework in there and sometimes the catfish get wild and knock the strainers off and I have to go in there to put the damn things back on. The last time, I put a union inline and pinned the strainer on so they couldn't knock it off. What I think happens is one dies and they go after it and spin the strainer off. I am gathering the pics, I have to scan them in so it'll be a few days.
ReeferRob

Back to top Go down

Post  ReeferRob on 15th September 2014, 12:08 pm

I'll be back in a few days guys, the hard drive in my main pc died last night.
ReeferRob

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum