New member, greetings from Hong Kong

Go down

New member, greetings from Hong Kong

Post  halophila on 12th September 2014, 3:28 pm

Hi All, this is Halophila from Hong Kong. I have been doing marine and freshwater aquarium for a decade. My specialty is marine planted tank, especially keeping seagrasses. I came across to this forum because I was searching for a natural habitat which tropical seagrasses & corals are growing side by side. A few clicks in google pointed me to Moreton Bay, Brisbane. And a few more clicks directed me to the photo of this informative forum! Razz

Moreton Bay and South East Queensland is surely a marine wonderland. It is so unique because in other places(like HK), seagrasses grow in estuarine mudflat, and corals grow in rocky beach or full salinity sheltered beach. They seldom live together.

In future, I hope I can share more of my coral keeping & marine planted experience here and learn the natural habitat of South East Queensland.

Halophila(aka Ricardo) Very Happy

My true marine Ruppia tank. Please note that Ruppia and silver molly can live in brackish water, but not Apogon spp.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Another 4' long coral tank photo, it was originally featured in reefbuilders.com 2012 article.   reefbuilders.com/2012/08/06/seagrass-aquarium/ All the seagrasses had been moved out long before 2012 for individual propagation tank, and it was converted to a low tech coral tank.

Last edited by halophila on 12th September 2014, 5:01 pm; edited 3 times in total

halophila

Back to top Go down

Re: New member, greetings from Hong Kong

Post  halophila on 12th September 2014, 4:01 pm

Macroalgae and LPS do live along quite well

halophila

Back to top Go down

Post  halophila on 12th September 2014, 4:14 pm

Low tech means no artificial lighting, no florescent, no LEDs, no MH.
Natural windowsill sunlight is the only source of lighting. As a result, coral's health are directly proportion to no. of sunny days every month.

Flame algae do well in coral aquarium:

Last edited by halophila on 12th September 2014, 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

halophila

Back to top Go down

Post  halophila on 12th September 2014, 4:20 pm

Other marcoalgae like Caulerpa serrulata are less demanding than corals. They survive and bloom in a lot of different conditions.

halophila

Back to top Go down

Post  halophila on 12th September 2014, 4:26 pm

Top view of another "false coral" tank, this one is dedicated to Corallimorpharia and button polyps.

halophila

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 13th September 2014, 12:46 am

Hi Halophila and welcome.
It is most certainly an amazing area here in SEQ, we are fortunate that we get a convergence of tropical and temperate species here, and in some areas they do very well together a part from marine plants and algae.
The rising ocean temps are impacting, but so far just a bit.
Thanks for the pics mate and any more content you wish to add would be wonderful or any info on our area, just ask.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down