South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Red algae-Halymenia affecting morph colouration?

3 posters

Go down

Red algae-Halymenia affecting morph colouration? Empty Red algae-Halymenia affecting morph colouration?

Post  liquidg 13th September 2014, 3:23 pm

The first pic is of the Halymenias I propagated then placed in tank near the hammer and the one of the three morphs I collected with green back ground and purple/blue tops that I put in before the red algae.

His is the morph then.
Red algae-Halymenia affecting morph colouration? 1a-top-tank-23-8-14-_zpsee138d36

Morph now?? It looks as if it has picked up some colouration from being very near the Halymenia.
Red algae-Halymenia affecting morph colouration? 1morph-pink-_zpsee37f2f4

Oh and this is one of my newly propagated Halymenia with a new shoot just three days old. It’s approximately 3 mill in total size.
Red algae-Halymenia affecting morph colouration? Haly-blister-_zpsc444b8b7
liquidg
liquidg

Back to top Go down

Red algae-Halymenia affecting morph colouration? Empty Re: Red algae-Halymenia affecting morph colouration?

Post  ReeferRob 14th September 2014, 2:00 am

What type of lighting are you using? Mine just died out all of a sudden after it popped up on a piece of fresh live rock I got out of Fiji.
ReeferRob
ReeferRob

Back to top Go down

Red algae-Halymenia affecting morph colouration? Empty Re: Red algae-Halymenia affecting morph colouration?

Post  liquidg 14th September 2014, 1:13 pm

ReeferRob wrote:What type of lighting are you using? Mine just died out all of a sudden after it popped up on a piece of fresh live rock I got out of Fiji.

Sorry mate I kept forgetting to reply.
I use cree fan cooled 3 watt diodes of 7 colours with 80 degree optics in a 90 watt fitting direct from the manufacturer in china.
liquidg
liquidg

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon51 29th March 2015, 6:07 am

How do u propergate the algae? Do u have to collect it like that or do u do this at home?

Simon51

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon51 29th March 2015, 6:21 am

Ok sorry after abit more searching I found this page. https://southeastqueenslandm.aforumfree.com/t2360-growing-propagating-halymenia-algae
I still don't understand fully how to do this, have bin never done anything but water a plant, lol. What do u mean by the algae blades? R these just the leafy wavey parts. How many of these do u stack? After I weigh it down at the ends does that mean it will look more like a U sort of shape or should it be more of a dome shape?

Simon51

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg 30th March 2015, 2:11 pm

Yen mate as you have said is how it is done, with the thin bladed species that i use.
Blades i suppose you could call forms.
liquidg
liquidg

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon51 31st March 2015, 12:29 pm

What r forms then?
Okay well I have set 2 up in my bottem tank so I will see what happens.

Simon51

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg 31st March 2015, 1:31 pm

The form word with plant life means the growth, so anything like fronds or leaves or similar are the forms.
The thread pics above, the last one has near no forms, just one beginning.
With caulerpa for instance, its anything growing off what looks like the vine, with Halymenia its anything extending out from stems and or the base.
Forms growing out of what looks like the actual plant.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_dLGw_s0RLUw/RtfdoFgZcCI/AAAAAAAAA3I/C_k9AdRaP6s/s400/microorgreef+007.jpg
liquidg
liquidg

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg 31st March 2015, 1:36 pm

Just remember mate the halymenia i use is no good with out water temps below 24c and it needs iron added or it will grow really slow!
Its a red algae, not green or brown, the needs are different to the others though it is very easy to keep.
liquidg
liquidg

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon51 31st March 2015, 1:45 pm

Okay cheers for the info, I keep my tank at 23 - 23.5 and does iron, so hopefully something pop's up. I'M not sure if I made the u shape out of the right part now because I think one of them had a harder stem sort of part threw it. The other is more of the end of the peace sort of thing. I had abit of scraps that broke off when I was rubber banding it and transport so I chopped it up an sprinkles it threw the tank. Any chance this could do anything or does it have to have this blister thing

Simon51

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg 1st April 2015, 5:38 am

The cutting sprinkling works fine, just with maybe 50 off cuts you may get 1 to 5 start up in months to come if good flow can get to them and they don't get eaten or washed to pre filter.
From heaps I only got 4 to start that way!

No a blister will form on its own in time then it will spread out making forms for each 2mill.
Just make sure it is in good flow and weak light or other algae will dominate it and slow growth and possibly kill it.
Oh and most nudibranch will eat it.
liquidg
liquidg

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down