Hi from Murwillumbah

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Hi from Murwillumbah

Post  Farmer141 on 10th November 2014, 1:41 pm

Hey guys,
I have kept fresh water tanks for the last 20 years and have finally decided to have a go at marine.
This is a great site, very informative.
I have nearly completed the cycling stage for my new tank and wanted to catch my own clean up crew. Any tips on
what I should be looking for, or wary of for that matter.
Cheers
Farmer

Farmer141

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi from Murwillumbah

Post  liquidg on 11th November 2014, 12:20 pm

Hey farmer.
The cycle is a simple yet a complicated thing to carry out.
By that I mean most follow a slow and ineffective way of doing it and use live rock to achieve a good cycle, this is not the case.
Many will tell you live rock has the needed bacteria to achieve the cycle at its best, well itís a lot simper then that, even just a little fresh ocean water has enough bacteria to get a good cycle!
You put in your display tank some good swim though and quite porus base rock and load your water with ammonia from dead tissue and the cycle will do its bit beautifully.
So with a good cycle and not much life to loose on your rock, get your ammonia levels up and that will inspire some good nitrite levels that are best tested as high as possible that you need to test for regularly from the first weeks end and during this time, try to apply a product to keep phosphates at bay, this should be on going from day one and never stop doing it!

The phos components of orthophosphate and phosphorus that are phos, the bond of these in all cells and cells that are consumed or have died release the phos into your waters constantly and are thus inorganic and a skimmer can not take them out, these two have to be accounted for from day one or they will come back to bite you in ruining or at best making your tanks potential much lower then it could have been. † †

Try to keep PH and KH at adequate levels as well to enable suitable invaluable aerobic bacteria to flourish quickly by helping to attain high oxygen levels.
You see phos will build in your rock and leach out as time goes on enabling possibly cyano and or hair algae to thrive at those sites of leaching.

Back to top Go down

Post  Farmer141 on 11th November 2014, 12:45 pm

Thanks for the advice, I did kick the tank off with a full tank of ocean water and 5kg of base rock. For the next three weeks I added 5kg of live rock per week. All my basic tests (ammonia, nitrite and nitrate) are all 0 after 4 weeks.
How do I tell if the cycle is complete and the tank is ready to receive fish etc.
Cheers
Farmer

Farmer141

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 11th November 2014, 1:08 pm

To early mate, add some dead tissue like a tiny hand full of marinara mix from woollies and put it in a stocking washing bag or what ever, hang it in your water for a few days, then test ammonia and nitrites, if any shows in tests, your bio system is not strong enough yet.
Just imagine the waste from one fish; have you built up your bio system to handle this by having that one fish for a while? Obviously no cause it would die.
It may not show much or that strong, but ammonia screws up PH for a moment or days, and that screws with everything!
Nitrites get into your fish via their immense drinking of the water they live in, this crap mucks with the bloods haemoglobin causing brown blood disease.
Torture your water with dead tissue till its near impossible for nitrites and ammonia to show in a test and you are off and running.
No nitrate hey, that may be bad?

Back to top Go down

Post  Farmer141 on 11th November 2014, 1:48 pm

Thanks, I'll get some dead stuff in there tomorrow and see how it goes.
Cheers
Farmer

Farmer141

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 11th November 2014, 1:53 pm

No worries mate, hope it all goes well.

Back to top Go down

farmer

Post  straddy boy on 12th November 2014, 8:12 am

Farmer I am glad you like the forum we try our best to update it with photos and information. Allot of the information comes from our own test within our systems we have set up at home. So others can learn from our mistakes and things that work well.
straddy boy

Back to top Go down

Post  Farmer141 on 13th November 2014, 8:28 am

Ok, dead stuff in the tank, I thought it wasn't working until I put my nose too close and nearly vomited. lol
I went out to my local rock pools today. Found and photographed quite a few cool snails, crabs and other
interesting things. Any chance you could have a look at my bad pics and tell me what is tank safe and what
is not?
Cheers
Farmer

Farmer141

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 13th November 2014, 9:46 am

Farmer141 wrote:Ok, dead stuff in the tank, I thought it wasn't working until I put my nose too close and nearly vomited. lol
I went out to my local rock pools today. †Found and photographed quite a few cool snails, crabs and other
interesting things. †Any chance you could have a look at my bad pics and tell me what is tank safe and what
is not?
Cheers
Farmer

Put up the pics from your photo hosting site links mate, there are never to many!

Back to top Go down

Post  Farmer141 on 15th November 2014, 5:57 am

Hey mate,
I'm not very computer literate, exactly what do you want me to do with the photos??
Can I post them on this forum? and if I can, how?
Cheers
Farmer

Farmer141

Back to top Go down

Post  formula409 on 15th November 2014, 9:44 am

go to a hosting site like [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
you can upload a whole album there, just chuck all the photos you want to put on the web in a folder and select it with the tool on the website
you will get an album url and you can post it here, or you can post individual links to each photo, the website should generate forum friendly links for you that will do all the embedding

formula409

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 15th November 2014, 1:05 pm

Or you could do this!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down

Post  Farmer141 on 15th November 2014, 1:53 pm

Thanks for the link, I'll get stuck into that in the next few days.
Taking the five year old snorkelling tomorrow to see what we can find.
Cheers
Farmer

Farmer141

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 15th November 2014, 11:53 pm

Sounds good, the north coast is pristine at the moment, its always the case of north winds-north coast, south winds-south coast.
Are you going in NSW waters, in here says whatís the go down there.

Hope you have a good one.

Back to top Go down

Post  Farmer141 on 16th November 2014, 10:12 am

Wow, had an awesome day today, couldn't get the 5 y/old out of the water, saw some awesome fish including
a juvenile lion fish, had a close look around some mangroves and found numerous shrimps and hermit crabs. Also saw
a few big flat head and the bream wouldn't stop following us around for a feed.
I think my tank is finally cycled. I have had some dead stuff in there for a few days, the stocking has white fuzz
growing on it and stinks so bad I wanna vomit just thinking about it.
My ammonia and nitrite readings are now 0 and my nitrate reading has taken off. I'll take a water sample into
my lfs for confirmation. I can see this is going to become very addictive.
Still working on the photos.
Thanks for all the info,
Cheers
Farmer

Farmer141

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 16th November 2014, 1:48 pm

Thatís great, the water temp is weird at the moment with this years burst of climate change affects. Its usually 21c to 22c here at this time of year but the other day it was 25c while diving??
With your tank, shake the bag each day if you can so the inner rotting flesh will become more exposed and bio active and over all work better.
After two weeks of the same dead tissue, change it for new stuff, if nitrites and ammonia remain 0 when you test a few times a during a week after changing the dead tissue, its all go from there.
Just before you start adding delicate life, make sure you have done a serious water change and keep PH stable for the next 6 months while it can be unbalanced and that is maturity near finished.
When you do any water changes, that will disrupt PH, stabilise it each time to avoid stress on your reef life.
Temp, flow, salinity and PH are quite important to keep right "always!"

Back to top Go down

Photos are go

Post  Farmer141 on 17th November 2014, 11:55 am

Hey guys, here are some photos as previously mentioned, my question is which of the first photos are suitable as a
clean up crew and what are the last few photos of ?, can I harvest a small amount of that soft coral (pic 11) and grow it in my tank.
Thanks for all the advice so far.
Cheers, Farmer.
Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3 - I think this is a bad snail
Pic 4
Pic 5
Pic 6
Pic 7
Pic 8
Pic 9
Pic 10
Pic 11
Pic 12 - what the hell is this??

Last edited by Farmer141 on 17th November 2014, 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : update)

Farmer141

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 18th November 2014, 7:51 am

Pic 1 is cool, but may get a bit big, I wouldnít!
Pic 2 the nerites are a good clean up addition.
Pic 3 if itís still the whelk snail and not a hermit, these ones are endemic to east auz and predate on other shell fish, not a good addition.
Pic 4 good clean up crew member the periwinkles.
Pic 5 looks like a turban and are good clean up crew members.
Pic 6 looks like a turban, but not sure.
Pic 7 looks like a polita of the nerites family, cool clean crew member.
Pic 8 yellow leg hermit, top algae, detritus and cyano muncher, just donít leave shells so it can up grade, you cant trust hermits once at a reasonable size!!!!
Pic 9 a boxer shrimp. No just for fish food, their life is about eating cyano, benthic and other small animals and as they grow they can be a risk to small life forms.
Pic 10 the green is ulva, itís okay, just trim it of no one eats it, the other white/light blue are cushion ascidians, they are filter feeders and harmless.
Pic 11 basic plain zoanthids.
Pic 12 †leachii sea hair-nudibranch, algae grazers. If you have decorative algae they are bad, if you want a clean up crewmember for algae, there is nothing better!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Farmer141 on 18th November 2014, 8:23 am

Thank you for all the info and the time you have given to me.
I'm off to collect a clean up crew.
Cheers
Farmer.

Farmer141

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 18th November 2014, 12:27 pm

Sounds good mate, have you read this-

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 18th November 2014, 12:29 pm

oh hey the zoas are classed as corals, so be careful and abide by the rules.

Back to top Go down

Post  Farmer141 on 18th November 2014, 1:01 pm

Yeah, I did drop into the fisheries office today but no one was home, apparently I need an ornamental fish licence for $52 along with the usual fishing licence which I already have. I have no intention of getting myself a fine so I will get this in order before I collect anything.
I have no idea about the rules for collecting some of the soft coral I found so I will get something in writing from the fisheries about that too.
Cheers
Farmer

Farmer141

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 18th November 2014, 11:36 pm

Good on you mate, it's best to abide by or to at least appear to abide by the rules and in NSW I think there is no coral collection of any kind.
Appearing to or actually, these keep every one happy and puts less pressure on collecting because to many collect and sell and get them selves noticed, it puts a bad light on all collection.
Then you have most of the general public that know nothing about marine life and want someone to blame for marine life suffering and disappearing due to environmental issues, that have nothing to do with recreational collectors.

Back to top Go down

Post  Farmer141 on 21st November 2014, 6:35 am

Well I have spoken to several different officers from NSW fisheries including the district office in Nelson Bay and I cannot get a straight answer about the rules for collecting fish/coral/crustaceans etc for home aquarium. It seems to be a bit of a grey area in NSW.
The general vibe was as long as I have a NSW fishing licence and I'm not raping and pillaging I should be fine.
I'm not very happy with that response. It really should be black and white.
Does anyone on the forum have any more info that may assist.
Cheers
Farmer

Farmer141

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 21st November 2014, 1:02 pm

Everything is in the following links mate.
There are three links that say it all for you and never work off a vibe or unsubstantiated advice from any of them.
Bob, I wont say his last name, a fisheries officer from way back we knew well and would help out with the fisheries office aquarium, he is in charge down there now and told a guy I know, things that completely contradict the rules in every way.
Get it on paper and no other way, to many opinions on this get you into trouble, so either that or hide everything you do to near complete paranoia, thatís another way to avoid the crap for all direction shot at recreational collecting!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum