Post  Farmer141 on 21st November 2014, 1:45 pm

Got it,
Cheers

Farmer141

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi from Murwillumbah

Post  Farmer141 on 26th November 2014, 7:35 am

Hey guys,
I have had some success collecting thus far however I am finding any fish I target is quite wary of my black mesh nets.
Is there anywhere locally I can purchase clear netting to give me half a chance of catching something nice.
Cheers
Farmer

Farmer141

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 26th November 2014, 11:45 am

Mate just remember there are regs for the use of small mesh sizes in NSW and in Q, but I will get the companies name for you that has mono down to 10 mill stretched hole, thatís the smallest here is Auz I think.
They may still be in business, its been many years since I have had anything to do with them.

Back to top Go down

Post  Farmer141 on 26th November 2014, 12:35 pm

Cheers Liquidg,
My research thus far is that 20mill is the smallest allowed in NSW, I have sent the NSW fisheries head office an email requesting the exact
regulations regarding collecting. No response so far. If I do get any definitive answers from them I will post their response.
Farmer

Farmer141

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 27th November 2014, 9:33 am

As far as i know, you need a collecting permit to use under 20 mill and then the fishing licence as well.
I will be interested in what they say back to you.

Back to top Go down

wrasse id

Post  Farmer141 on 30th November 2014, 7:45 am

Hey guys,
†Can anyone ID this awesome little wrasse I collected about a week ago. †He seems a little intent on destroying my live rock, especially
the purple algae, is there any food I can place in the tank to divert his attention.
Cheers
Farmer

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Farmer141 on 30th November 2014, 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed)

Farmer141

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 30th November 2014, 8:04 am

Yeh mate itís a stethojulis bandanensis, the female of the orange or red shoulder wrasse, we always called them orange shoulder but it is a red shoulder I think that's is the proper name for them.
Sorry there are none in the forums wrasse section, I should get a male and female and put them in, the male is quite nice and have collected many before when commercial.
Would you mind if I use your pic down the track in the ID of wrasse thread, when I get around to it?
They eat inverts, so open a frozen crab or two or put a section of cunjevoi or muscles or oysters each second day, just for a few hours or the cunje may affect your PH as it goes off.
Oh and why isn't this is the collecting section? we could use some content in there mate!
Good to see your collecting adventures, never get sick of seeing folks enjoying the ocean!

Back to top Go down

Post  Farmer141 on 30th November 2014, 9:01 am

Ok, I'll start a new post in the collecting section, I have a few others which need an id including
an awesome couple of Gobies (I think).
I never realised how satisfying it is to sit back and admire your own collection.
You are more than welcome to use any photos I upload to this site in any way you wish.
Thus far I still haven't had a reply from the fisheries office however I was stopped by the local
fisheries today while I was collecting in the Tweed River.
They had no problem at all with what I was up too, initially they thought I was spear fishing which
was why they checked me out.
Cheers
Farmer

Farmer141

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 30th November 2014, 12:36 pm

Farmer141 wrote:
I never realised how satisfying it is to sit back and admire your own collection.
Farmer

Itís brilliant hey!
The amount we learn beyond what the average person can comprehend about the intricacies of the ocean mechanisms is invaluable, not just to our hobby but to our value of all that has itís part in nature.
Keep up the good work mate, do it well, do it legal or appear to and do it while considering marine lifeís extremely important habitats and do not trust any one.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum