Getting better at collecting

Go down

Getting better at collecting

Post  Farmer141 on 7th December 2014, 12:59 pm

Hey Guys,
†Had a great day out today collecting in Nth NSW. †Found an awesome slug in a shell (pic 1 & 2), Liquid pls
tell me its ok to have in my reef tank, I think its the nicest thing Ive found yet.
I now have four of the little Blenny's (I think) in pic 3. †They settle in really fast and love chomping on the algae
growing on the glass.
I thought the little guy in pic 4 was a cleaner wrasse when I caught it but I don't think it is. †I think it may be a Blenny?
He likes to take a nip out of a few chosen fish every now and then. †Also saw a metre long flathead that
looked more like a surf board. †Great day.
On the flip side I also learnt a few lessons, don't put two male banded coral shrimps together, and don't put two
Valantini Puffers together. †Otherwise my first saltwater tank is going well. †
I really want a butterfly fish or two but they always keep an arms length or two ahead of me, any tips would be appreciated.
Cheers all
Farmer
Pic 1 awesome slug in shell
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Pic 2 awesome slug in shell
Pic 3 Blenny??
Pic 4 Blenny? False cleaner wrasse??

Farmer141

Back to top Go down

Re: Getting better at collecting

Post  liquidg on 8th December 2014, 12:44 am

Excellent stuff mate, thanks for the words and pics.
With butterflies you need to get above them and scare back into your net. Never chase fish from behind, always come from above that way they go for cover and you can find them and scare them out the way to your net.
If you ever need to store banded shrimp together, pull off their nippers, it wonít harm them! You can store literally hundreds together that way and they wont harm each other, just watch for a shed, they harden enough to fight with in 6 hours with new or small nippers. If soon after you pull off nippers they shed, then they may not have enough time to make a set of nippers with in their carapace rolled up like an intestine on a hose on reel and out it rolls once they pull themselves out through the gap they make between the tail and carapace and take in water to swell while they harden to become bigger.

The bubble snail is in here mate, beautiful arenít they!

Yeh they are both blennies and Pic 3 is a Meiacanthus, they mimic harp tails and pic 4 is a Plagiotremus, but they donít mimic cleaner wrasse and both go by the names fang tooth or sabre tooth or fang blennies!
Both take of bits of other fish, especially scales!

Back to top Go down

Post  Izrah on 13th December 2014, 12:23 am

You guys are so fortunate to be able to do this, one day I will have to come diving in Australia. Very Happy

Izrah

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down