Getting better at collecting part 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Getting better at collecting part 2

Post  Farmer141 on 13th December 2014, 1:33 pm

Hey Guys,
 Have a few more pics from the last few weeks of collecting.
Pic 1 and 2 - awesome little wrasse, heaps of them down here
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Pic 3 - a little pink/purple wrasse (I think), the other two were picking on him and nipped his tail but he is coming good now
Pic 4 - this little fella looks awesome in the right light, I have no idea what he is
Pic 5 Some type of Goby? has some awesome colours but rarely leaves its cave
Pic 6 Goat fish, about 3 inches long, caught him while I was out flathead fishing with my old man and thought he would look great in the tank.
Has worked out really well, spends most of his time churning up the sand.  Also caught four Lunar Wrasses that day, they were all around the
6 inch mark so they went back in.  I remember reading on this forum that they are nasty but man they are an absolutely awesome looking fish.
Pic 7 This might test your ID skills out Liquid.  My 7y/old son caught this fellow on a shallow sand bank in the Tweed River.  He has a shape like a Sergeant Baker.  He also has a single fin under his chest like the Goby in pic 5.  I took note of the big mouth and figure he is a predator but so far he has been very well behaved, plus its a bit hard not to put my son's first fish in the tank.
Pic 8 - Ok here is my best effort yet and the jewel of my tank thus far.  I believe its a Dwarf Zebra Lion Fish but feel free to correct me.  I thought my banded coral shrimp would have issues when he decided to share the lions cave but they are getting along quite well.
Cheers Guys, that's all for now.  I have promised my Son we are going rock pooling tomorrow to catch a lawn mower Blenny or two.

Farmer141

Back to top Go down

Re: Getting better at collecting part 2

Post  liquidg on 14th December 2014, 5:11 am

Mate you are doing really good at seeking out tank additions, excellent pics as well, you must have a pretty good camera there.

The nebulosus wrasse in the second pic you got is a cutie and the isostigma cardinal you have there in pic 4 is one of my favs, a top fish and quite pretty as well once they settle in, if the goat fish doesn’t kill it, they can be real predators once they settle into tank life and get sick of hunting for benthic life

Yeh mate I think it is the noxious Acanthogobius flavimanus goby, hated by NSW fisheries if I remember right, check it out on a google search if you like to see if it is that one. Oh and the zebra lion, they are not a dwarf; they get to a foot or more in length.
Just remember to not become complacent even though you are not doing anything illegal.

Hey that pink flasher wrasse, just check on that one, it may be the one up here is legal to collect, but in NSW it is not.
I look forward to part 3 to 100 of your collecting!

Back to top Go down

Post  Farmer141 on 14th December 2014, 6:40 am

Thanks for that Liquid,
I have checked the Acanthogobius flavimanus goby on the net and I'm pretty sure that's what my Son caught. I'll have to break the news
to him over a happy meal and ice cream.
So far the Goat fish is behaving, I'm keeping a good eye on him. He was a spur of the moment addition and perhaps not my best idea.
I cannot find any info regarding the Pink Wrasse in NSW. The only protected Wrasse I can find in NSW is the Elegant Wrasse??
We had a good day out this morning. The ocean was up and I could only access 2 rock pools out of the dozen or so available. We still went well
with a couple of Money Cowries, our first Red Hermit Crab (awesome colours) and I managed to find two Lawn Mowers in one little rock pool.
The Lawn Mowers are settling in well and are like twins, they rarely leave each others side.
Cheers
Farmer

Farmer141

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 14th December 2014, 12:10 pm

Sounds great mate, like myself, there are many who love reading about this and looking at the pics, but sadly there is an outweighing amount of know nothings that apply pressure and make others fell guilty and ashamed to think they are encouraging the catching of nemo and mate, that many are that dumb and knowledge impaired!!

I hope that you or any others that try to collect in practical and sustainable ways, don’t see or have to endure the looney tunes that I have had to in my time.
Keep up the good work and that wrasse, it may be off the list because it became common in SEQ over the last 20 years.
Am going back some years since the last time i had a NSW permit.
Back in the day it was, a part from some others, the Balina angel and flasher wrasse that were no takes.

It was before Cook Isl became a marine park, infact the fisheries guy Bob came out to the island and told us the wobby situation with a commercial fisho when the silly guy cleaned the wobbies he caught near a group of greeny divers, blood, guts and carcases every where and then the local member got an ear full by some he knew well and that was the end of cook isl.
Poor bob was called to the island because there were “scuba divers” spearing and killing everything, lol, we were collecting and they didn’t like it, the tactic to say absolute bull is used so often and poor Bob has to follow up every complaint no matter how much of a dick head the caller is!
He turned up above us watching us with the glass box thing they used back then and the wankers next door in a bow rider were the lying sacks of rubbish, he was ticked off wasting a trip out to us, but what can you do. We gave him a fish for the office tank though, that was when he told us cook will be gone to fishing, spearos and collecting very soon.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top