Getting better at collecting Pt3

Go down

Getting better at collecting Pt3

Post  Farmer141 on 26th December 2014, 7:09 am

Hey again Guys,
†Merry Christmas to all. †I had a great morning snorkelling with the kids around the break wall of the local Creek. † I was on the Creek side of the wall when I noticed two cleaner wrasses near the base of the break wall. †I anchored myself to the sea floor and held my bare arm out. †After a few seconds
both cleaner wrasse started cleaning my arm. Very cool. I accidently startled them when I laughed underwater.
Anyway my collecting has improved and I scored my first Butterfly fish and first Damsel fish about a week ago. †Ive had freshwater
tanks for 20 years, I can't believe I haven't attempted saltwater sooner.
A few pics from my last collection trip.
1. My prize Butterfly fish. †Settled in well after two days. †I did net a larger one with copper colours, a really awesome looking fish but as I raced to the surface he beat me and got out of the net.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
2. My electric blue Damsel, the photo shows some red colouration but that is just the camera angle/lighting, he is all bright blue with a faded yellow tail. †Very friendly thus far and hasn't worried any of the other fish.
3. An awesome little puffer, Bennetii maybe. †Very friendly.
4. This little fellow is awesome, some type of Blenny?? †absolutely loves sushi wrap and wraps himself up in it.
5. I think this is a little round leather jacket, he's a nice jade colour, †I thought he may be a bit rough with the reef and other fish but he hasn't bothered
anyone thus far.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Cheers
Farmer

Farmer141

Back to top Go down

Re: Getting better at collecting Pt3

Post  liquidg on 26th December 2014, 7:31 am

Merry xmas to you mate santa
You are obviously having a ball doing this and thatís a lot of what it is all about, brilliant pics, keep them coming!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  ReeferRob on 1st January 2015, 9:59 pm

I'm sure any collector will tell you, practice makes perfect. You're not going to go out and catch exactly what you want on the first try. I remember when I was young I found a very small Sergeant Major in the Oregon Inlet in North Carolina. I know I chased him for the better part of 15 minutes in a pool full of rocks. So I pulled back and watched his patterns, remembering Robert Straughans words of wisdom on collecting to observe first, collect second. Sure enough he trapped himself and I went home with him. Great pics and good luck, wish I could go to the beach here and collect animals for my tank.
ReeferRob

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down