This rain is not just annoying!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

This rain is not just annoying!!

Post  liquidg on 1st May 2015, 1:43 am

Just listen to that rain and try to imagine the billions of marine aquarium life forms dieing!
They came in their masses to the estuaries and close in reefs last year from August to late November at their most as planktonic life sized marine life. They then via reef signals or just too big now they dropped out where they hoped they could get a chance to live.
Most are predated on but billions and billions get to try at life and they are dieing now as I type due to the affects of decreased salinity!
The corals will be attacked by bacteria and flush till dead of starvation and the ones that make it have bleached beyond what they can cope with and will die.
If the reports say with in the last 24 to 48 hours for the north coast had over 250 mills, the sunny coast estuaries are dieing, when it gets to 300 to 400mills the close in open ocean shore line reef delicate life forms are mostly dead, 150 to 200mills and up, the south port seaway is going down, 150 to 200 and up and Tallebudgera is going down big time, 100 to 150mills and Currumbin creek is going as well then 150mills and up and the tweed relating to aquarium species is becoming a desert!
In the 70s, 80s and 90s this was rare, and the old schoolers back then when I was young and into it that I would speak to said these rain events were rare back then as well, what the f..k have we done!!!
Though it most likely is to late now for much of our close in aquarium life forms, for Christ sake! any one capable of getting in the ocean with a mask on ,”collect them guys”, at least in our tanks they have a slight chance of survival!!
If this ends up as they say it will be and it has been many times over the last 5 years, many of those little lovelies will be food for the brackish!
Hopefully the swell will get up there, that helps save the close in reefs by defusing the concentration of low salinity at the shore line reefs.

Last edited by liquidg on 7th May 2015, 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Re: This rain is not just annoying!!

Post  ReeferRob on 5th May 2015, 11:44 am

I just got this from one of my transhippers:

Australia has had a terrible typhoon season and has not shipped in months. We are waiting to hear from them, but they won't ship until everything is great. The runoff silts everything up, colors fade, so they don't ship.

Fiji has a hot water problem that has only affected the regular Acropora.

Shipments to the US have been few and far between the first part of this year.
ReeferRob

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 7th May 2015, 1:52 pm

Cool info mate, yeh we are really starting to feel the affects of climate change, the weather is getting real ugly, many records were broken this year all ready with weather events in Auz.
You guys will most likely get the ever increasing storms but your winters are supposed to get real bad in the coming years.
Good to hear from you Rob

Back to top Go down

Post  ReeferRob on 9th May 2015, 6:10 pm

Our winters are already bad. The last 2 years were the coldest I can remember. We never used to get down below -10 for more than a day or so. This year we stayed at -10 for the high temp and -20 for the low for over a month. Mother Nature has been warning us and we still refuse to listen so she will rid us one way or another. I could go on and on about climate change. I use wood for heat, the first 2 years we used a little over a cord of wood in a heating season, last year I used a little over 2 cords and the year before I used almost 3 cords per year. We installed new doors and windows last year so we used a lot less in colder temps.

For those that don't know what a cord of wood is I'll save you the Google search it's a stacked unit of wood measuring 4ft x 4ft x 8ft.
ReeferRob

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 10th May 2015, 9:50 am

ReeferRob wrote:Our winters are already bad. The last 2 years were the coldest I can remember. We never used to get down below -10 for more than a day or so. This year we stayed at -10 for the high temp and -20 for the low for over a month. Mother Nature has been warning us and we still refuse to listen so she will rid us one way or another. I could go on and on about climate change. I use wood for heat, the first 2 years we used a little over a cord of wood in a heating season, last year I used a little over 2 cords  and the year before I used almost 3 cords per year. We installed new doors and windows last year so we used a lot less in colder temps.

For those that don't know what a cord of wood is I'll save you the Google search it's a stacked unit of wood measuring 4ft x 4ft x 8ft.

I feel for you guys in the northern hemisphere, we will get ever increasing extremes and suffer along with wide spread financial hardship, especially in the country areas, but if things go the way they say it may go, a world wide debilitating ice age is just a generation or two off and as we all know, it will be at its worst in the northern hemisphere.
The problems are mate, the governments don’t realise that the affects by nature as this unfolds will send countries broke from more extreme cyclones, floods and much more and cost a heap of money to fix what it breaks and its not coming quick enough so that it sinks in to the generation here at the time to stop breeding and all economies are directed at human numbers increasing, then you have low to zero social economic countries expanding to other countries as refugees and imagrants due to breeding to that countries capacity then some leave and those spaces are filed and they leave, etc, etc!
You are right, nature is going to make us suffer big time for not thinking ahead or using this brain and body combo superior to everything else to benefit all and not just our selves and subsequently backfiring on us and everything else!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  ReeferRob on 10th May 2015, 3:16 pm

I forgot to add, we have a tropical cyclone due to come ashore tomorrow, not unheard of this early, but I bet that it's going to start happening a lot more regularly. Jacques Cousteau warned of this happening back in the 60s and 70s and everyone dismissed him then.

The population of the Earth is THE BIGGEST problem today, not fossil fuels, not ozone depleting chemical, but the population explosion, it's that simple. This planet can handle 2 billion, not the 6-10 that we're going to be dealing with in short order. Another world war is in the not too distant future, one that will make the carnage that was World War 2 look like a bad dream. I'm 53, I hope that it happens after I'm gone, I'm too damn old to be jumping out of airplanes.
ReeferRob

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 11th May 2015, 3:59 pm

ReeferRob wrote:I forgot to add, we have a tropical cyclone due to come ashore tomorrow, not unheard of this early, but I bet that it's going to start happening a lot more regularly. Jacques Cousteau warned of this happening back in the 60s and 70s and everyone dismissed him then.

The population of the Earth is THE BIGGEST problem today, not fossil fuels, not ozone depleting chemical, but the population explosion, it's that simple. This planet can handle 2 billion, not the 6-10 that we're going to be dealing with in short order. Another world war is in the not too distant future, one that will make the carnage that was World War 2 look like a bad dream. I'm 53, I hope that it happens after I'm gone, I'm too damn old to be jumping out of airplanes.

Well said!!
In the early eighties there was an event that only got a small mention in an auz newspaper, they estimated that we lost 50 percent of the worlds corals to a massive bleaching event and as yet I have met no one who read this.
Back then I was part of the petitioning and lobbying the gov on what was coming, my wife did all my typing, still to this day she says I was wasting my time, I was, but hey you have to try.
I still ague with folks on the fact that our numbers are every single issue facing the planet and recycling as just one example is just making things less obvious, but are still coming.
When I was in high school, Aus had 11 million people, now I am nearly 60 and we have over 23million in just my life time, you combine that with one third of our oxygen is no more as it is with life giving phytoplankton and any thinking person has got to ask, what the hell are we doing!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top