id on this critter

Go down

id on this critter

Post  rrama1 on 20th May 2015, 11:56 am

anyone know what this is ?[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
rrama1

Back to top Go down

Re: id on this critter

Post  ReeferRob on 30th May 2015, 5:43 am

Looks like a Squat lobster of some sort to me, liquidg could probably tell you better than I because he's probably seen a bunch of those.
ReeferRob

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 31st May 2015, 9:32 am

You are right by the look of it Rob!
Porcelain crabs and squat lobsters are all labelled galatheid crabs and can look similar and there is not much else marine wise that has this shape, but the best way to make sure it is a squat is to check its tails extends past the last leg like a lobsters tail does.
Now strictly speaking, squats, porcelains and hermits are so closely related science wise and to average folk, they could all be the same family due to legs, tail and body configuration.
A way to be sure, a porcelains tail is more like a flap that folds under compared to the squats.
Just fold its tail out and you will know, oh and if it is a squat, which I am near sure Robs right about, there are at this stage at least 800 to 900 species known and many more unidentified and most are tiny and very shy.
Harmless mate, large species are rare!
This unidentified one of 4 millimetres i found in community of many in a rare soft coral species, you see they are quite often semi symbiotic with other life forms, you know for hiding or for food scraps.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

And another i found living in a species of sponge.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum