Forget having a dirty disgusting substrate in your aquarium, a messy aquarium base is much better!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Forget having a dirty disgusting substrate in your aquarium, a messy aquarium base is much better!!

Post  liquidg on 11th June 2015, 8:39 am

I hate substrates in the aquarium, dirty dam things! ever since the 80s I found them wanting, big time!!
Any way you need the usual structures for swim throughs and spots for corals and more and for me that means sterilized base rock and few bits around the area on the glass “with no substrate”!!!
Drill some holes for life to hide in before adding dead base rock, especially the small bits on the tanks floor to place tube worms, sponges and the bases of decorative algae forms in to get them going.
Large polyps and elegant species like mophs, zoas, acans, hammers, jardeni, etc, etc and encrusting sps only on the tanks floor and to near half way up!
If you can get your tank built with a sloping floor as I have made mine for over 30 years, the tanks floor should slope to the front.
A false floor with supports is easier then you think, any way flat glass or not, no grit of any kind on that floor!
Deep sand beds or anything like that keep them externally! After brilliant pre-fltering!!!! Not just socks!!
Once your tank is ready as in the external bio filtering is top notch with amazing pre filtering before it, then you have to have temperature control as easily achieved down to 22c if need be, dosing needs to be spot on or done with cal and mag slightly over dosed constantly, have a large over all strong current-flow breaking the water surface aimed at the front glass then rising up the structures spiraling to the exit, heaps of planktonic food size feeds, nitrate, phos and toxins have ti be accounted for, then cover your tanks floor with anything, just chuck it all in and due to great conditions with patience the bare glass will come to life and constantly seed the rest of your tank with life.
With fish that’s easy, fast robust established wet section and carbon, but photosynthetic-symbiotic inverts take patience and this is not rocket science, it is very simple!!

Top tanks once bare glass floor, now full of life and corals are breeding, not frags, sexually populating!

Bottom tank now, though this tank has very weak led tube lighting, weak over all flow and some angelfish that devour much of what tries to grow in there.

Bottom tank 2 years back

Growth every where

New acan polyps and capensis that came from spore-sexual breeding.

Back to top Go down

Re: Forget having a dirty disgusting substrate in your aquarium, a messy aquarium base is much better!!

Post  liquidg on 11th June 2015, 8:52 am

There are a few disappointments to letting it all go nuts on the tanks floor; my pretty dark blue/green coralline is being taken over be the more aggressive mesophyllum form of coralline.
I saw it under a rock at low tide year’s back and chucked in some scrapings, it did okay and sprung up, but in very low light spots.
The blue/purple coralline is much more rare and far slower at growth and hates any light to the degree that if exposed, it becomes quite weak and will bleach.
You can see the pink circles starting get going with in its community.
Maybe 6 months and it will be covered!

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top