collecting trip down the coast, pics and videos

Go down

collecting trip down the coast, pics and videos Empty collecting trip down the coast, pics and videos

Post  Admin on 27th July 2009, 5:14 am

What a day,very nice conditions,a little cool in the water,but pretty good over all.
We got to the boat ramp with Dannys boat at around 9.15 am and the three of us this time were in the water by around 10.00 am and we had a ball.
The vis was at the start,about 3 metres and by the time the tide was all the way in it would have been a good 8 metres vis and considering the deepest spot was around 8 metres,that's not bad at all for a estuary dive.

We were in the water for around 4 hours and saw lots of clown fish,mainly!

These are some of the fish and inverts caught on the day.

Lots of anemone shrimp see on the day.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

One of the few times we bothered getting any of the millions of banded shrimp we see.

One this trip there were between 25 and 30 akyndinos in a small area in 3 to 7 feet of water.

what this is i have no idea????

When we arrived
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

One of the more friendly eels on the day.

A monocle bream we caught.

A nice medium sized saddle back butterfly caught,i wanted to leave it but Danny has always wanted one,it eats like a pig in his tank.

There is a clown in there,just to cosy in there to come out.

Three clowns in this one.

A purple radi with resident clown.

A couple of the divers feeding the fish.

Last edited by Admin on 25th August 2009, 4:29 pm; edited 11 times in total

Admin

http://southeastqueenslandm.aforumfree.com

Back to top Go down

collecting trip down the coast, pics and videos Empty sorry

Post  DeadSled on 27th July 2009, 6:01 am

As above, it was a very good day out. Lots of life to see, some to be caught (rather difficultly, i might add) and it was enjoyed by all three of us who went out.

Although it was very cold at first when we jumped in, we warmed up to it and had a good few hours out and it was a lot of fun.

I guess i forgot that i get a little seasick on boats though..
DeadSled
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

collecting trip down the coast, pics and videos Empty top day,i agree

Post  Admin on 27th July 2009, 10:28 am

It is also good remember that when in the ocean,especialy when snorkelling, you are constantly getting saltwater into your stomach through that snorkel and that can render any one sick after three hours of it, than you have the boat movements, thatís why we had something to eat and a hot drink just before getting in and when we got out before the next lot of snorkelling.

You combine stomach acids with salt water, not a good thing!!!
Plus your energy levels may collapse the same as tri athletes know about on work outs, low fluid levels, your blood thickens, than low oxygen to your muscles and brain, a headache normally first, upset stomach next than muscle failure and if it goes on to long, organ failure.

There is nothing like being in salt water to dehydrate you.

How are those fish doing, have they coloured up yet?

Admin

Back to top Go down

collecting trip down the coast, pics and videos Empty Re: collecting trip down the coast, pics and videos

Post  DeadSled on 27th July 2009, 1:05 pm

I'll have to pack a lunch or something next time i go, i suppose i haven't felt like that when we've just been off the rocks, but i think the constant waves coming in and the boat ride made it worse.

The Clownfish are doing fine, just chillin. The Tangs got pretty beat up and chased around by my Kole Tang at first, but after a lights off over night, their friends now. They've also coloured up nice. The smaller one is quite dark, but still has the yellow and blue and the bigger one is lighter, but also coloured. I quite like them.

Still want one of those blue green Tangs Shocked Wink
DeadSled
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

collecting trip down the coast, pics and videos Empty tangs

Post  Admin on 27th July 2009, 1:22 pm

What are the latin names for the tangs mate?

Admin

Back to top Go down

collecting trip down the coast, pics and videos Empty Re: collecting trip down the coast, pics and videos

Post  DeadSled on 27th July 2009, 1:27 pm

Not sure. I'm yet to find out.

I need to figure out what sub species they are first, their not a Kole Tang i don't think, the snout is more pronounced on a Kole, also these ones have a slightly different dorsal and underbelly fin shape.

What type do you think they are?
DeadSled
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled on 27th July 2009, 1:33 pm

Well whatta ya know..

I searched Surgeonfish on google images, found what looked like a similar body shape.. which was under the Acanthuras subspecies.. and so googled that.. and found this. For anyone reading, this is the type of Tang we got three of (I have two) from this trip.

Although, this picture is named as the same as that real nice blue and yellow Tang (The first picture) in my Tang thread. So i don't know if its accurate or not. I'll keep looking though.

Edit: On further investigation, it seems what we have are infact Acanthurus Dussumieri. There seems to be quite a lot of colour variations, i found a website - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] which has a fair few pictures of that species of Tang, and a lot of the colour variations. All the pics were also taken where we went snorkelling. I will email the guy, because their copyrighted pics and he's got a popup thing on his site so i can't just hot link the pics.

When i get the pics, i'll add them to my Tang thread.
DeadSled
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled on 30th July 2009, 3:29 pm

Good to see the pics are there. Man, i can't wait till it gets warmer and we can go out more regulaly.

Hey, do you have many shrimp at the moment that would be good cleaners like peppermint shrimp or cleaner shrimp or anything?
DeadSled
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

collecting trip down the coast, pics and videos Empty still more

Post  Admin on 30th July 2009, 3:43 pm

You still haven't put in your bit for fuel for getting the boat there and fuel in the boat yet.
There were a heap of banded shrimp there,they were just a little deep down,practise makes perfect.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled on 30th July 2009, 3:45 pm

Oh yeah. Let me know how much before the next meeting and i'll bring it along.

I've yet to see a banded, peppermint or any kind of shrimp out there. I think Shane said the same last time, or maybe Colin.. I want a couple of Peppermint for the 2fter Smile

How often do you go out during Summer for snorkels and stuff? I'm so keen, can't wait for summer.
DeadSled
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down