My New Tank - 2ft / 20g

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My New Tank - 2ft / 20g

Post  DeadSled on 27th July 2009, 6:14 am

So, this was originally my first marine tank.. but it didn't go so well, so i got my 4ft tank and thats my main marine tank now. Its going very well, 9 months on..

The two foot tank was used to keep live rock, mind you.. probably barely alive.. it was just rock gravel and water.. no heater or filtration for the last 9 months.

I cleaned it all out on Friday and on saturday put some new fine sand and water back in, and saturday night i threw in my old mini powerhead (which had been used in the four foot, so it was very lively) and also a peice of rock glued to a magnet (also from the four foot, coralline, green algae, sponges and all sorts comin off this rock).

I've just put rocks in it, and this will most likely be the final rockscape. I don't want too much rock in it, and i want it to be a "more is less" setup with the rock. Simple, but looks good.

Anyway, heres the first pic.

DeadSled

Back to top Go down

your tank

Post  Admin on 30th July 2009, 9:25 am

when are you going to do something to your tank?

Admin

http://southeastqueenslandm.aforumfree.com

Back to top Go down

Re: My New Tank - 2ft / 20g

Post  DeadSled on 30th July 2009, 9:37 am

Do what exactly?

Its still cycling, i would say it started Sat night / Sunday, but i'll say sunday cause thats when the rocks went in. I put in a hermit today because theres a decaying dead worm on one of the rocks, and i'm getting brown algae starting to show up.

Getting more hermits tonight.

I don't plan on putting any fish in for at least probably two months, and will start a bit of a Zoa garden after about 3 - 4 weeks.
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

tank

Post  Admin on 30th July 2009, 1:37 pm

What i mean is,is that all the rock?
If that is going to be your bio area,it is quite small.
Why not get a little stocking bag and hang it in your tank with a little marinara in it to start your tank,than use the bag for storage for collecting.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled on 30th July 2009, 1:45 pm

Yes thats all the rock. Well theres another peice hangin on the back wall. I'll take some pictures now, of the tank and the filter.

What i've got in the filter should be fine to house bacteria.
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled on 30th July 2009, 2:05 pm

New pics..

Filter..

Planning on doing a sump to house caulerpa and stuff when i have a few extra bucks to get a return pump as well.
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled on 2nd August 2009, 5:31 pm

Just dropping by to put some updated pics and info in.

I just bought a 4ft x 15w x 18h tank off a mate, for $45. Pretty stoked on it. I was thinking of using it as a sump for the two foot (probably the opposite to what most would do, heh) but i'm not sure. I would need to make a new stand for that, along with a lot of other planning. I've always wanted a coral prop tank, so i could have it coral prop top half, and caulerpa and return pump on the bottom half.. duno yet. Will have to decide over the next few weeks, or i might just set up another marine tank. Who knows.

Anyway, the tank is now a full week old and i'm already getting bits of pink sponge growing on the dead rocks, obviously seeding from the live rock that i added.

I also went and got my spare magnet cleaner that has been living in my 4fts sump for the past few months, and as soon as i put it in the tank within minutes i had all sorts of life jumping out of it, copepods, amphipods and the like. After about 10 minutes i spotted a few cruisin around on the substrate. Win!

So anyway, i'm pretty sure this tank is going to be full of all kinds of epic in a few months time.

Heres the pics.

This is the kind of life i have on all of my rocks in my four foot. This rock came out of the 2ft tank originally, when everything was pretty much stale and dead. This rock started off looking bleached white. A few months in the four foot, and it turns out like this. Seriously, so awesome Cool

Oh, yes that is a Hermit chillin upside down.

I love this tank.
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled on 8th August 2009, 4:04 pm

So its now at the two week point, and i did another water test today..

This was the results. It would seem that the cycle has come and gone, although i won't be putting fish in for a few weeks still. Probably not until i see a fair bit more life growing on the originally dead rocks. Theres some small sponges starting to form, but thats not enough. I want the tank to be more ahead before fish go in.

Heres a full tank shot.

My to be one day Zoa garden. These are all frags that have been floating around my four foot tank getting lost. Although, the red zoas (topmost) are cut off my other big peices of red zoas. I still have some green skirt with orange center ones i can frag to throw a couple in, but i forgot.

I also have some white and pink zoas growing on one of my rocks, and their starting to grow very quickly.. so give it a couple of months and i'll be cutting a few of those to add to my zoa garden in the two foot tank.

Oh, theres also a hermit here.

This will eventually be my Morph garden. These are also free floating corals that have gotten lost in my four foot. I still need to find the other like 8 morphs i had, they all got up and left about two months back and this is all i've found so far.

Thats all for now.
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled on 10th August 2009, 1:11 pm

Got some new pictures, few new additions from the trip yesterday.

I know i said i wassn't going to put any fish in for a few weeks, well, i picked up a fish from our trip on the weekend and could of either put it in the tank or put it in my sump to eat all the algae thats growing in the at the moment unused area. I decided to put it in the tank, and leave the sump for my Scooter Dragonette that i caught, as theres pods in there, but none really in the two foot just yet.

Start off with a full tank shot.

New feather duster / worms.

Zoa garden and two feather dusters. The pinkish one on the top left bailed from its tube and into the hole in my rock. Unfortunately i was gone for about 2 minutes and missed it. Bah.

Another feather duster worm. It looks like i've got palm trees in my tank. Very cool.

And last but not least, my Acanthuras Dussumieri / Eyestripe Tang. Very small, but has some semi adult colours already. Very nice, albeit a bit shy at the moment.

Thats all for now.
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  hi 4.5 on 10th August 2009, 1:57 pm

Those feather dusters look awesome man

That tang is beautiful, how big is it?

hi 4.5

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled on 10th August 2009, 2:28 pm

Cheers. The feather dusters are awesome. I will definately be getting more of them next time. I've never bothered collecting them up until now.

The Tang is roughly 2" long, maybe just under.
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

tube worms

Post  Admin on 11th August 2009, 1:18 am

Did you cut off the tube to the worm and check the tube for eggs deadsled?
It is most likely not an issue this time of year as there is very little breeding in this temp,but watch those specific forms of bristles,they willl wipe out your tube worms if they get into your tank.
Oh,some tangs,angels and some other varieties of fish and inverts(like crabs,as such) feed on tube worms.
They look great though,those and feather stars would be my favourites.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled on 11th August 2009, 4:55 am

Didn't see any eggs, but did cut them all fairly short.

I haven't noticed my Tang eating at them yet, so maybe this one doesn't eat them?

I want more feather duster worms now Smile They look so cool.
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

now you know why i favour them so much

Post  Admin on 11th August 2009, 7:25 am

The tangs that are grazers don't normally bother them,but surgeons,they are problem to them.
Scopaz,yellows and olivacius can bother them as well and angels,the tube worms are fish food for them!
This time of year the worms that eat them don't noprmally lay eggs because of the cold,but i just saw a report on warmer water heading this way,maybe the breeding season will start a little early this season,the rise in temp sets them off.

If that report is correct this season will be abnormal again,thats four years in a row now,thats very weird.

It's good for aquarium species surviving winter that normally kills them,so the numbers go through the roof,but the corals are going to keep going backwards,we see so many bleached these days,even out at huchies the other day,one out of 8 heads were dead,recently and that reef is seriously pristeen,or should be!!!

With the worms,did you leave them in a spot where they can expand and if you feed them enough they wil breed like crazy once they are adult,if they can't expand they may drop out of the tube and make a new one somewhere else,if they don't get eatern with out there tube to protect them until they make their first new transparent one.

Thats if they get fed enough,if not they will shrink and that spot will be fine until they die.

another thing,If they drop their head,it doesn't always mean there is a huge problem,they just may have damaged it or need to move quickly.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled on 11th August 2009, 8:54 am

Well, as far as i'm concerned, the quicker the water becomes warm, the better off we'll be Cool

The tube worms are all open at the moment, and something i've noticed is that they stay open even if you touch them or put your hand in the tank or anything. I once had some rock with a few on, and as soon as you walked in the room they'd close up.

Unusual.
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

tube worms open

Post  Admin on 11th August 2009, 9:21 am

they have to stay out as they haven't got enough tube to go back into.
If the hole is not deep enough for it to make more tube as well it will have troubles.the way i said on sunday to start them works evey time in the best way,not saying what you have will not work,it's just the other way is 100 percent success.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled on 11th August 2009, 9:24 am

Oh. Nah i've seen them all close up, but they seem to stay open generally all the time, instead of the hitchhikers i got on a rock back when the 2ft started like a year and a half ago.
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

tubes

Post  Admin on 11th August 2009, 9:36 am

They can only squish their body down far so long in a short tube and only for repairs or extensions to the tube or when there may be a predator shadow or a nip taken.
i know i have never had anything to do with them,i wouldn't have a clue!

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled on 11th August 2009, 11:20 am

Admin wrote:i know i have never had anything to do with them,i wouldn't have a clue!

Lol, was this supposed to be a bit of a smart remark Laughing

Don't worry, i put them all into a hole, so even though i've cut some of their tubes short, they have the hole to go down into and situate themselves there. I don't like things getting blown around the tank, so better to put it in a good spot from the get go.
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled on 16th August 2009, 8:08 am

Another update.

Drilled my Aquaclear 70 / AC70 filter, and used an old plastic one way valve i had lying around.. and made an overflow of sorts.

First time drilling the AC70, it cracked the bottom.. so i had to drill a peice of plexiglass / acrylic and silicon it in but that worked out fine in the end. I also had to get out our mini air saw and cut out the bottom of the box.

I also drilled out all the internals of the one way valve, so it ended up effectively being a bulkhead.

If you all haven't yet noticed, i'm a complete tightass and i guess its the hot rodder in me, that would rather use what i've got lying around and make it work, yet cost nothing.. than pay for something pre made.

I wassn't sure if it'd work as per normal, with the entire box filling up.. or the water level sitting at the bottom.. so i pulled out my old baffle, and made a new one and put the holes at the top instead of the bottom. Originally, the holes were at the bottom so water went through the filter foam, then rose upwards through the media and out into the tank.. its now reversed, so it goes through the foam, through the holes at the top and down through the media and into the sump.

Unusually though, it still fills up and goes back into the tank as well as into the sump. Oh well, works good regardless. I also put two peices of tubing at the bottom, and a grate ontop.. then put all my bigger peices of ceramic rings on top, so they still do their job.

I'd imagine this would be fairly obvious as to how it works, but just incase..

Water comes into the sump on the left, flows along and goes into the holes, up through the foam, and overflows into where the pump sits.

Lol, i didn't have one single sheet.. this is all my leftovers.

All filled up.

DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled on 23rd August 2009, 6:06 am

Update.

Got two anemones yesterday from a fellow reefer and since my clowns are local caught they are instinctive to host anemones, so this is the result. They pretty much don't leave the anemone, or at least go very far from it.

These clowns came out of my four foot tank. I had six in there, and decided to move two across. I will probably put some more back in at a later date.

And some tank pics.

DeadSled

Back to top Go down

cool!

Post  Admin on 23rd August 2009, 7:43 am

Looking good deadsled.
The local tang looks like it is getting a heap of colour.
Should the tank have a little more live rock or not?
hey mark has started his tank and the rock is going in soon,i think shane is going to help him design the live rock set up.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled on 23rd August 2009, 8:16 am

I might add a small peice, that i've got gathering life in my four foot tank.. but nothing much sometime just small to have on the sand. I don't want a tank that looks like i've gotten a bucket of rock and tipped it in, which is what a lot of tanks out there look like.

The Tang is nice, although its a bit of a wuss if anything.

Imo, Marks tank should be set up with a bit of a wall surrounding where the overflow box is, and the rest of it be really fine substrate only like an inch or two thick, with a lot of islands scattered. I think their called Bombies or something.

If he just piles all the rock in, i don't think it'll look any good.

I should design the rockscape for him Cool
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

rock

Post  Admin on 23rd August 2009, 8:38 am

Thats pretty much what they are thinking of doing in relation to the exit.
i agree with the bomies,two in particular would look good.
I would not put any substrate in,it's something that only two identicle tanks one with and one with out sustrate over three years can be shown why i say that.
i know you clean your substrate,but not many do!
It should be interesting to see what they come up with.
gee it's hot working out side,the computer is a good rest from it here and there.
this is his tank before anything went in there.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled on 23rd August 2009, 8:42 am

Yeah that sounds alright. I reckon having like a wall around the overflow with holes in the peices would be cool, because he could eventually get plate corals growing off the wall like a ledge.

As far as substrate goes, bare bottoms just don't look realistic imo. Fair enough what the advantage is, but realism is part of having a marine tank. If he had a thin (inch or so) substrate, and kept it clean i can't see what ill effect it would have.
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top