Hi everyone

Go down

Hi everyone

Post  bitis on 24th April 2016, 2:35 pm

Hi,
Just moved with the family to the Gold Coast from Sydney. Brought my tank with and would like to get it running again with marines. This time I would like to stock with collected items. Any help with places to go collect. Rock pools etc. Would be appreciated.
Cheers

bitis

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi everyone

Post  liquidg on 25th April 2016, 1:02 am

Yeh mate there are quite a few spots on the goldie, sadly most get wiped out to varied degrees when rains get above 100 mils in 24 hours and it can take months to years for that spot to recover.
If you want to collect here in Q first up your hand net mesh can not be smaller then 25mill stretched, this is so it is extremely hard to collect leaving most for the commercial guys to take and we have to buy them.
If you do go with the gear not allowed by fisheries but I would hope you do not, be extremely paranoid as to no one seeing your gear or anything you do!!!!!!!
You will be hated by folks who know nothing about this.
All sites that you will collect at are collected at by commercial collectors, so you taking marine life means absolutely nothing to marine life numbers.
The net, except here is swarming and over all controlled by sellers of marine life or know nothing greeny want to be's and all do not want you to be able to collect your own marine life.
A part from the thread on spots, a nice safe spot to collect one or two basic things and just casually enjoy the ocean is the rock pool at Burleigh heads on the left of the point at low tide as you look out to sea, then if you are a competent free diver there is always Kirra reef, it started coming back a few years back, it is quite intense with all life.
You could get in touch with NSW fisheries and get a permit and fishing license to collect in the tweed river and south a bit, when rains don't kill it off, that area is cool.

gear
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Regulations

Collecting sites

Last edited by liquidg on 25th April 2016, 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  bitis on 25th April 2016, 7:24 am

Thanks for the info and advice. Was thinking it may be a good activity for me and my son, but I think you make it look a lot easier than it is. Very Happy

bitis

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 25th April 2016, 2:38 pm

With out help, like my brother and I didn't have way back, it is just practise mate.
Lots of mistakes and lots of failures to get heaps of successes.
Just be aware of the average folks mind set and those that make money off marine life, they are your brick wall.
What they do not know or see, they can not wing about it!
Many of the oceans beautiful mechanisms are collapsing and the ones who know little and want to be noticed or need the blame to be sent else where, will look your way and any one else taking from the ocean!
Make it a rule of thumb as you go along to help out our beautiful marine life forms, if you move anything for what ever reason, put it back as it was so the next time you or another collector comes along, something has made it a home again ready for collection or for breeding spots till its life ends or ends up in some ones reef at home!

You are at a time I was at many years ago, good times and a multitude of invaluable hands on marine knowledge is coming your way.
Hope it all goes well and you two get some cool additions for your reef at home to look at and remember that day at the ocean.
cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum