Returning fish to their habitat.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Returning fish to their habitat.

Post  ThomasDickson on 17th April 2017, 10:17 am

Hey Guys, I'm a newbie to SEQMAOAF.

I have a 90L nano that I want to turn into a Sunshine Coast rock pool biotope (FOWLR).
As it's a small tank, I'd like to raise fingerlings/fry from the wild and then release them back when they are bigger.

This obviously could cause issues with viruses / infections etc getting into the habitat which I want to avoid at all costs.

My thoughts being that if I use live sand, NSW, fish and CUC from the rock pools nothing new should be introduced.
Additionally I'd rely on base rock to avoid other contamination.

And yes, once I have done some research I will contact marine authorities.

Would this be possible? or am I fanaticising?

Cheers,
Thomas

ThomasDickson

Back to top Go down

Re: Returning fish to their habitat.

Post  liquidg on 17th April 2017, 11:28 am

Mate the idea is wonderful, the reasoning behind not allowing aquarium species to be let go into the environment is full of flaws!
Yes, some inverts and plants could cause issues, but fish, they are silly laws because no possibly imported inverts are allowed into the country.
They do come in and I wont go into it, it's not worth it.
It's more so directed at freshwater species, but as with quarantine laws, they had to include aquarium species due to the salmon import industry winging that it was not subject to quarantine, using that to try to stop it.
If you can do it, more power to you once, you discuss it with the authorities as to the legalities.
Obviously if tanks are started fallow for your idea and no shop bought creatures exist in that water to avoid imported life, of which many aquarium fish for sale are just that, from being connected with it in anyway
Who knows, maybe the laws have been changed, if so can you copy and paste the reply to here and I will put it in the info section, along with the authorities contact details.
Cheers.

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top