South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prefilter and filter sock and other aquarium barriers that are home made.

Go down

Prefilter and filter sock and other aquarium barriers that are home made. Empty Prefilter and filter sock and other aquarium barriers that are home made.

Post  liquidg 3rd May 2018, 2:23 pm

Material for prefilters.
I get mine from the haberdashery called spot light, its called wadding or Dacron, you buy it off the roll!
Prefilter and filter sock and other aquarium barriers that are home made. 7zkCjCw

Prefilter and filter sock and other aquarium barriers that are home made. 5BcUHYM

Ready for cutting
Prefilter and filter sock and other aquarium barriers that are home made. Xm5475R

first up, mark out the cutting of the barrier prefilter Dacron
Prefilter and filter sock and other aquarium barriers that are home made. CTHMETY

Then cut the barrier filter dacron sections
Prefilter and filter sock and other aquarium barriers that are home made. 1Epva6Z

Cut corners ready for folding, add silicon to glue to shape required and put in place small piece of paper to make sure the silicon does not go all the way through.
Prefilter and filter sock and other aquarium barriers that are home made. U7frcuv

Prefilter and filter sock and other aquarium barriers that are home made. Ro08w5m

Once folded onto silicon to make the shape required, sit them off to one side and they will be ready to use in an hour or so.
Prefilter and filter sock and other aquarium barriers that are home made. ZpCivJu

Fold onto egg crate you cut to act like a sliding window that will slide in and out as you need it.
Prefilter and filter sock and other aquarium barriers that are home made. ErEZ13G

This is where this one goes, it slides down into this plastic molding like a sliding window, this can be made in any size and attached anywhere, as your water exists your tank.
Bunnings sells this plastic molding.
Prefilter and filter sock and other aquarium barriers that are home made. MHc9WPF

Start it sliding down
Prefilter and filter sock and other aquarium barriers that are home made. TjW3VIX

Now it is in place as a barrier filter that is easy to slide out and clean and slide back in.
Prefilter and filter sock and other aquarium barriers that are home made. PdjXrx5
----------------------------------------------------------------------

This next prefilter is what i call a settling prefilter.
The water comes along and comes out of a pipe next to it, either directly after your barrier prefilter or after your refugium and settles out particles into the area it is placed into, in mine it is a section of storm water pipe.
To clean this one, you turn off pumps, the water level drops below the exit, then you take out the prefilter and clean it.
I just use the pressure of the garden hose spray gun and inot the washing machine after say 5 hose cleans.
Then fit back in and nothing gets past this and being that there is a barrier filter already before it catching organics, this one needs cleaning no where near as often, just when it is over flowing the top opening.

This is, what you could call, an external filter sock frame, sit yours that you make, "mine i made out of plastic pipe", sit it then roll it on the dacron to get the size you want to cut.
Prefilter and filter sock and other aquarium barriers that are home made. JLKTpN5

Mark them.
Prefilter and filter sock and other aquarium barriers that are home made. TmGhXvH

Once cut, put a bead of silicon along one side of each one
Prefilter and filter sock and other aquarium barriers that are home made. 4cugjBv

Fold it over, then push down as you go along the edge to glue down making sure you can feel the silicon come through to your fingers!
Prefilter and filter sock and other aquarium barriers that are home made. DngBgs1

Now you have the beginning of a home made filter sock
Prefilter and filter sock and other aquarium barriers that are home made. YMCuU8v

Leave them sit of to the side to set for an hour or two.
Prefilter and filter sock and other aquarium barriers that are home made. 7nTsCXk

Because i use these for many purposes, i use a rubber band at the length i  want at any given time, you can easily glue the end together with curve shape you may want to cut to the size you want
Prefilter and filter sock and other aquarium barriers that are home made. 8LniZQD

Then a rubber band at the top, these last easily two cleans.
Prefilter and filter sock and other aquarium barriers that are home made. HqbL5Ep

One now on the cut plastic pipe that acts like a frame to hold the external filter sock.
Prefilter and filter sock and other aquarium barriers that are home made. LUBt3xs

Then i slide it down into my pipe and sit the exit over the pipes exit and turn on pumps
Prefilter and filter sock and other aquarium barriers that are home made. TkAXfxD

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When going away for a few days i make sure i make fresh pre filter barriers and socks.
With the dacron i buy, they block in 4 to 5 days if it is new, if used they block in two days.
Prefilter and filter sock and other aquarium barriers that are home made. ZlKI3Y0
liquidg
liquidg

Back to top Go down