South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which clownfish to get?

2 posters

Go down

Which clownfish to get? Empty Which clownfish to get?

Post  blackblennie 31st August 2009, 10:49 pm

I have seen a few different photos of clownfish on here and some in the shops and wondered what the opinions are on which ones i should get.
I would like to have just clowns and wrasse in my tank this time and i wondered what any one thought on that. Very Happy

blackblennie

Back to top Go down

Which clownfish to get? Empty Re: Which clownfish to get?

Post  DeadSled 1st September 2009, 3:53 am

The Clownfish we get on our trips (Akynidinos i think its spelled, and Latezonatus) are local. The ones in shops are mainly Ocellaris and sometimes Maroon, Clarkii ect. The ones we get, you won't usually find at a shop.

All depends on what ones you like the most.
DeadSled
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Which clownfish to get? Empty clowns

Post  blackblennie 1st September 2009, 12:03 pm

I was wanting to know which ones get on with each other.
i have herd some are really mean to other clownfish.
I havent had any long enough to know what ones are good,they have died to fast to see if they are of a good nature or not.

blackblennie

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled 1st September 2009, 12:11 pm

Well clownfish are damsels, so they do have an aggressiveness to their nature. I had 6 Akinodynos clowns in my four foot, now 4 (moved two to two foot tank) and they would occasionally chase around but never anything aggresive.

Really depends on how many types you try and put into one tank, and how big the tank is. You could have an 8ft tank with 4 different kinds and you'd be ok, try putting 4 kinds into a four foot and they would probably fight, unless you have a lot of anemones or anemone style corals and they might host different areas of the tank.
DeadSled
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Which clownfish to get? Empty clowns

Post  blackblennie 4th September 2009, 1:24 am

I was thinking of having a few different clowns in together and i just want to make sure they will get on okay and my wife says they have to be pretty lol! Woman!why would i put dull coloured fish in my tank anyway,especialy after a crash like i had pale
If i was to put some different types together what are the best ways to do it,do you think it would be hard?

blackblennie

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled 4th September 2009, 5:18 am

Well as i said above, they can be rather aggressive.

What size is your tank?

One way you might be successfull with maybe two types, is have one type bigger than the other type.. i don't know if the bigger would chase the smaller, or it might just realise its higher up in the order and leave it alone. My clowns are all different sizes, so theres no fighting between same sizes.

I don't know really, never had more than one clown in a tank. I do plan to have another kind, but i'm yet to find and catch one. Your tank size is what will ultimately restrict you. If its a two foot, only have one kind.. if its a four foot, you might get away with two.
DeadSled
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down