South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New addition to the labridae wrasse family

2 posters

Go down

New addition to the labridae wrasse family Empty New addition to the labridae wrasse family

Post  Admin 29th October 2009, 3:38 am

Another day and another new fish that has been documented and named from the hawaii area, the new member is of the H.ornatissimus complex(found in most of the indo pacific),this was a group of once just three fish now it has become four that makes up a small portion of this tiny part of the halichoeres section of the wrasse family and are a part of Perciformes bony fish as well, this meaning perch like.

This group or complex which once comprised of the Cosmetus, the actual Ornatissimus and the orientalis has a new club member, Claudia sp.

Most of these fish (Halichoeres )are very similar in quite a few aspects and for the marine aquarium keeper they have two main features to be aware of, they are a very hardy variety of wrasse but on the down side they are with the exception of a few,normally range from 6 inches to just over a foot in size so not such a great fish for the reef tank enthusiasts.

There are quite a few very similar wrasses over most of the world to these and are part of the largish halichoeres group.

The Ornatissimus we don't normally bother getting as the colours in the aquarium are not that great unlike the other more colourful wrasse we get to see on our trips.

There are no actual pics to use yet,but the ones i have seen are basicly the same as this washed out looking ornatissimus.

New addition to the labridae wrasse family Wrasse-1-

These are some good pics of the ornatissimus,juve and than adult.

New addition to the labridae wrasse family Wrasse-3-

New addition to the labridae wrasse family Wrasse-

These are some of the Halichoeres we get on our trips around the south east.

New addition to the labridae wrasse family Halichoeres-chrysus-

New addition to the labridae wrasse family Lined-wrasse-
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://southeastqueenslandm.aforumfree.com

Back to top Go down

New addition to the labridae wrasse family Empty Re: New addition to the labridae wrasse family

Post  DeadSled 29th October 2009, 5:23 am

That last picture, where abouts around here can that type of wrasse be found? Also is it reef safe? Aggressive at all?
DeadSled
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

New addition to the labridae wrasse family Empty Re: New addition to the labridae wrasse family

Post  Admin 29th October 2009, 8:26 am

That one was gotten on the clubs BBQ boat collecting trip.
Those ones are seen everywhere,litteraly,all the places you have been with the club there has been at least one at every spot.
They will eat crustaceans,tube worms,nothing much else and not really a threat to other fish as they have a small mouth and a nice nature.
Thats a female,the male is a little brighter in colour,still the same colours though.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled 29th October 2009, 10:10 am

Shocked

I'd love one. Can you PLEASEEEEE keep an eye out for one for me Very Happy

I did try and catch an orange wrasse up the coast last time i went, i had it in my net and then it was gone.. later found out i had a small hole in the net -_-

Tried to get it again and it hid under a rock and didn't come out the rest of the arvo.
DeadSled
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin 29th October 2009, 10:44 am

Deadsled you can catch your own,especialy if you make a net with that new netting,thats better than i have.
Plus you are young,you combine youth,energy and that netting,you can catch anything.
I intend on relaxing heaps on the trip.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled 29th October 2009, 11:58 am

I've never even seen one out there lol. I'll have to try out Colins net, or maybe borrow one of yours Wink haha.
DeadSled
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin 29th October 2009, 1:14 pm

I can just imagine you with some one elses extremely delecate netting that will more or less tear if you look at it let alone drag it across a rock out of excitement when trying to get an elusive fish and than watch it go out the whole you just put in it.
Not apppreciating what you are given or get may damage that net that you borrow and than you loose the use of it.
Fixing that stuff can send you cross eyed,i am a little paranoid about looking after that stuff after fixing it very regularly for over twenty years now.
It is fantastic stuff,but geez you have to be so careful.
Danny has his first go with it this weekend in ready for the three day one.
On one hand he will be saying,holly smoke how easy was that and than s--t,how did that fish get out,bugger another whole in it.

How come you won't get your own deadsled?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down