Collecting trip saturday 20th of March 2010

Go down

Collecting trip saturday 20th of March 2010 Empty Collecting trip saturday 20th of March 2010

Post  Admin on 20th March 2010, 11:53 am

This trip had us enjoying our wonderful south east queensland coast line to get a few fish mainly for Colins,Dannys,Brendons and Robs tanks.

This trip was at one stage going to be on the sunday but the cyclone bearing down on us from the north altered those plans earlier in the week in preperation for getting into the water before it ruins things around here for possibly weeks.

We headed out at 5.30 am and it was a beautiful start to a potentialy windy and very bad day.
The wind was 5 knots,8 to 12 metres vis,26c temp,basicly a perfect day and a lot missed out on this one with the bad weather reports.

There were heaps of of eating fish and only one spearo there,tons of aquarium fish to chase and it would have been hard to get a better day for marine activities.
This was one of the best days here in many years.

Such a nice calm day.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

These are the keen ones,some of us like a cuppa before getting in,not these clubbies,they had their first fish before there was much sun light at all.
We got there at 6.20 am and they were in by 6.25,very keen.

Some bait fish in the clear water.
Lots of bonito chasing them.

A couple of underwater pics.

This humbug is most likely the Dascyllus Arunaus,no one wanted it.

An near on adult Ostracion cyanurus,to big for the tanks.

This one is very common in the bay but we have no idea of it's latern name.

A quite common moray.

These are some of the fish we got on this trip.

A Halichoeres chrysus,Bannana wrasse.

A heniochus monoceros or masked banner,these are one of the best fish to have and it's a reef safe banner.

Pomacanthus Semicirculatus,blue angel,koran angel,a favourite and very common here.

Pomacanthus Imperator,emperor angel,a bit dumb these fish but we get a few around here each year.

Polychaeta sp,Tube worms,common as mud around here and very easy to breed though no one bothers at the moment.

Going home

Some of the new life at the spot.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

A pair of friendly huge bat fish.

A tasty looking tusk fish that ignored the spear gun sitting next to it.

A sting ray and a super fast cuttle fish.
There were thousands of juvenile sting rays here,all 6 to 8 inches in size,you couldnt put your hand on the bottom in just 20 feet or your hand takes off.

A tasty looking cod that a spear wasn't used on and there is a curious wobby.

A pair of fang blennies living in a dweilling thats such a hole.
Watch the male out side the hole looking after the missus because of the big bad diver.

Last edited by Admin on 6th June 2010, 1:10 pm; edited 6 times in total

Admin

http://southeastqueenslandm.aforumfree.com

Back to top Go down

Collecting trip saturday 20th of March 2010 Empty re collecting trp 20 3 10

Post  shaz on 20th March 2010, 12:35 pm

love the eel pic cheers

shaz

http://www.swanseabackpackers.com.au

Back to top Go down

Collecting trip saturday 20th of March 2010 Empty Re: Collecting trip saturday 20th of March 2010

Post  Admin on 20th March 2010, 12:48 pm

Yeh its a common eel around here and we are not sure whether it is a mureena lentiginosa or maybe a gymnothorax meleagris,but one thing for sure it isn't a snowflake.

If any one on the forum can possitve ID it that would be great.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Collecting trip saturday 20th of March 2010 Empty re --- collecting trip

Post  shaz on 20th March 2010, 1:05 pm

. i logged onto the net to try and identify ---could not find ! maybe neville colemans s/e book may show - i will check at the library tomorrow!

shaz

Back to top Go down

Collecting trip saturday 20th of March 2010 Empty Re: Collecting trip saturday 20th of March 2010

Post  casey on 23rd March 2010, 2:55 pm

so are snowflake eels moray eels? what is a gymnothorax meleagris? do they all have white faces? i seen a diamond or was it angel moray n it had a yellow face on the internet, n what is an echidna nebulosa? how are they diffrent to each other? is it just markings? oops loadsa questions lol

Last edited by vawn on 23rd March 2010, 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
casey
casey

Back to top Go down

Post  shaz on 23rd March 2010, 3:17 pm

the pic i think is of a snowflake/ moray ,what family muraenidae species it is from it the question ,,the guys are not exactly sure either .
by what i have read tonight there are apparently over 200 species world wide ! but only a few in the south east area as i understand . i will call a marine biologist friend of mine tomorrow and ask / he is collecting in the phillipines .at the min Smile the echidna nebulosa is a snow flake moray and less agressive by what i have read !log on line to the marine site very imformative ! i could not find similar pic in a book earlier . some morays can be very agressive . not that that would phase you with your 10' boa!

Last edited by shaz on 24th March 2010, 2:09 am; edited 13 times in total (Reason for editing : !)

shaz

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on 24th March 2010, 11:28 am

vawn wrote:so are snowflake eels moray eels? what is a gymnothorax meleagris? do they all have white faces? i seen a diamond or was it angel moray n it had a yellow face on the internet, n what is an echidna nebulosa? how are they diffrent to each other? is it just markings? oops loadsa questions lol
Most morays are very similar in nature and looks; there is only a slight head and body variation beyond the very different colour variations in near on all of them.
There is only one around here that is nothing like the majority of the average morays and that is the giant estuarine moray or strophidon sathete.
We saw one poking out its head out coming out of a hole under a large rock at the end of a formation in only 12 feet of water and it made for a hasty retreat along the rock formation only to find the other end of it going into the rock formation 15 feet away.
This wasn't believed and the tail was pulled and out all of it came, near on 17 feet of it, these are the things night mares are made of.
The snowflake are one of the prettiest that stays colourful through all its life along with only one or two others similar so it’s quite popular for predator tanks as such until its found on the floor covered in fluff from the carpet,they will find a way out unless measures to avoid this are taken.
They can be put back in after a few hours normally and live quite well, but all it takes is just a few minutes past there none water threshold and they become as a dead and stiff as a fluffy broom handle.
Oh and sorry it took a while to put your leach pottery thing every where I could but life is very busy nowadays, but good luck cause you were one of our first forum folk and that makes you special.
Very Happy

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  moorish idol on 24th March 2010, 1:00 pm

Hi there,

I'm a dive instructor for some years now and have been following this thread and am confused now to be honest.
To me the first picture (the one with the moray eel) does indeed look like a Snowflake Moray Eel. So is it one or have I been wrong all this time Smile ?!

Also thank you very much for your latest post but I'd like to go back to vawn's original questions since I cannot really see the answers yet:

1) so are snowflake eels moray eels?
2) what is a gymnothorax meleagris?
3) do they all have white faces?
4) i seen a diamond or was it angel moray n it had a yellow face on the internet, n what is an echidna nebulosa? how are they diffrent to each other?
5) is it just markings?

Once again, thanks for your replies so far.

moorish idol

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on 25th March 2010, 6:17 am

Well vawn you may not want all this but some one is pushing for it.

Any saltwater eels you will see most likely in the shops and in the ocean are all morays,there are snake,wip and worm eels to name a few as such but i doubt you will ever see any of them.

Here is a snowflake moray,see nothing like it!

This one maybe a little like it,but maybe not it.

The echidna nebulosa is a snowflake!

Every thing else was covered in the other wording.

If you can find its exact name that would be great as we see a few of this type and none of our many books have it in it.

My self i got my scuba ticket in 1971 and have so much to do with the ocean since than it's rediculas.
Stand up Jet skiing as a motorised surf board still remains my favourite water sport though.

Mate there is a dive instructor connected with us and a couple of us connected with the admin work name have been a part of the dive and free diving side of the ocean sports for a long time but some times long drawn out explanations are just not needed.

Our nice forum member vawn lives in a country town in the British Isles if i remember right and this explanation may not have been needed by her.

But for her it's done,more or less. cheers

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  shaz on 25th March 2010, 3:37 pm

!

Last edited by shaz on 28th March 2010, 3:26 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : !)

shaz

Back to top Go down

Post  shaz on 25th March 2010, 4:18 pm

Last edited by shaz on 28th March 2010, 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : x)

shaz

Back to top Go down

Post  casey on 25th March 2010, 5:59 pm

well i can imagine it can be very confusing specially if each eel has it's own characteristics, are they not mean though? i'm sure no where near as cuddly as a snake lol, mmm so now i think i know a bit more eel taxonomy, i hope you guys find out for sure soon, marine biologists must be really useful!
casey
casey

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on 26th March 2010, 2:19 am

It is very similar to the gymnothorax meleagris,but we see quite a few and there is a difference so if an exact pic is found of it thats great,though personaly i don't overly care as all the longer mouthed morays kept in the past are a little meaner and a better hunters than the rest like snowflakes with a shorter jaw shape.

There aren't any local ones wich accounts for quite a few that we haven't kept and they are more or less the same,cute when little while still in the tank and not on the carpet,than mean and eating every one smaller as they get bigger.

The one thing i like about the morays,is they are the main predator of ocys and thats great as the ocys demolish the invert communities like shrimp and crays when in a bundance.

My brothers wife makes a mean ocy dish and after providing for this cooking for a while from a certain area the inverts in that area came back on with a vengance,off course the crabs can increase as well which sometimes is not great but the juvenile crays and varied shrimps,with in three months of reduced ocys,it was wondeful to see.

There are so many imbalances taking place in the south east because of us and to correct some in small areas is so educational and gratifying to know you have helped,not so much with the ocy thing,another problem or two in other areas are the ones i am refering to and not going into.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  shaz on 26th March 2010, 3:55 am

yum -the ocy dish sounds good Smile maybe we could start a seafood recipe thread !

Last edited by shaz on 26th March 2010, 7:06 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : .)

shaz

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on 26th March 2010, 1:34 pm

The recipe thing more or less as stated by club and forum member shaz is a good idea.

If five or more forum memebers want it,a small recipe section will be put on the forums for just that,anyones recipes for any type of foods.

Its up to you people,it will seem strange to some to have a recipe forum on aquarium and water sports forums,so what,this forum is for mainly just those two things but is also for anything of interest and food is of interest for most.

Let deadsled or admin know people if it is wanted or not.
Shocked

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  casey on 29th March 2010, 1:43 am

could be fun lol there's always the anything else section mmm...
casey
casey

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down