Collecting trip good friday unplanned

Go down

Collecting trip good friday unplanned Empty Collecting trip good friday unplanned

Post  Admin on 2nd April 2010, 12:45 pm

The idea to go out was sprung on us late on thursday night from contacts letting us know conditions were pretty good and the weather was to remain good for at least the first half of the day so it was a rush job and the four of us changed our plans a little as you do to be able to dive when it's good no matter what so we could make it out to the good conditions and it was very nice out there.

We did some scuba,after that some free dive spearing and collecting on the reef we most likely are part of the very few that know it's satelite location,the commercial guys do not know of it and than just some fun free diving and a little collecting for Dannys new tank.

At each spot we took pics and video,it's a shame the clam pics are so blurry,but we can't put all the video and pics on,there are heaps of them.

The day was a little choppy but as usual we made the best of it and the day turned out just great.

We had 26c to 27c water temp,warmer than the air at that time of the morning,plus 12 to 15 metres vis at the three sites,the third was the worst at 12 metres or there abouts.

We were over a very secret spot of a good free diving depth at 40 to 45 feet and there were latz every where,there must have been 50 to 60 of them at this tiny obscure spot and never been chased,the 8 huge pairs there were not touched of course,we try to never touch an adult of anything if we can help it.

We had our free diving gear off eating before getting in again when some one said what the hell is that coming at the boat,this manta ray came right up to the boat so it was a case of grab a mask and snorkel on quick and fall over as fast as possible to get a video of the manta ray,no reefs out of the water here,just open ocean and just fall in and swim with one hand and video with the other,no time for fins.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This leopard shark was not seen until it was right next us so by the time the video was gotten out it was moving away.

Straight down a hole for this triggor.

This the days sunrise.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

These are a few of the days catch.

Some of the speared fish.

A section of acropora i have watched from a tiny single stem 8 years back to this.

Clams seen on the day,well some of the hundreds at this reef.

The trip back was far nicer than the trip out.

Last edited by Admin on 6th June 2010, 1:08 pm; edited 3 times in total

Admin

http://southeastqueenslandm.aforumfree.com

Back to top Go down

Collecting trip good friday unplanned Empty Re: Collecting trip good friday unplanned

Post  shaz on 2nd April 2010, 1:40 pm

wow -lucky you guys to see the leopard shark ------ N excellent pics Smile

shaz

http://www.swanseabackpackers.com.au

Back to top Go down

Collecting trip good friday unplanned Empty But waite there is more.

Post  Admin on 2nd April 2010, 2:00 pm

A couple of the tube worms out there.

A couple of the blue tangs we chased.

A few moorish idles out there.

This just some free diving near the holes spot.

Admin

http://southeastqueenslandm.aforumfree.com

Back to top Go down

Collecting trip good friday unplanned Empty Re: Collecting trip good friday unplanned

Post  ianqld on 5th April 2010, 3:44 pm

Looks like another awesome trip. Some good fish for the aquarium. cheers

The Big-spotted Triggerfish is one of my all time favorites. I have been told they are not coral friendly, but are great in a fish only tank.

You were so lucky to get to swim with and video the Manta Ray. The only chance I had was when one leap out of the water next to us, by the time I had the camera ready it was gone.
ianqld
ianqld

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 6th April 2010, 10:02 am

The spot the manta ray came up to the boat is a spot known by virtually no one at all, well by divers or collectors anyway as the life down there came up to say hi it was so unspoilt.
A friend accidentally found it via a magnetometer and has in all these years never gone back to see what it was after getting in with bad conditions the first time and not finding anything at all, so he gave us the marks ages ago and a while back we found this large house block sized reef
There are latezonatus clowns there bigger than the book size of 7 inches at snorkelling depth and they donít run for cover, I couldnít believe it.
I have seen many latz in one spot before and caught up to 15 in one spot for a commercial guy I used to work with a long time ago but here you could easily get 50 in one area!
I tried to get a video of the whoppers down there but I would go down and at 40 plus feet the buttons compress and back up I would go and just miss out on getting a short high quality film of them in these red bubble anemonies.
They are in roughly 47 feet of water, easy to catch on snorkel but the cheap camera just doesnít quite cut it down to there.
The clown triggers were thick, you scare them into their hole sit the net over it wait on the surface and when they come out and get tangled in the net you zap down grab the net home they come,lol.
The trigger is fine in basic a coral environment if they are well fed and with the right foods the wonít bother the coral.
Plus when little like these they are easy to get them used to a less destructive life style.
If you starve them they will eat anything at all,more less.
Dangle a chunk of squid in the tank each day as well as a section of Cunjivoe and sushis wrapp pluis the corals will feed of the waste of this and it will be full all the time.
Have a section off dead barnacles in there or a pile of shells some where for it to chew on and carry around and defend, they are fine in a tank with no crustaceans or anything like tube worms as such.
Oh they like fingers in their diet as well Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down