collecting trip saturday 17th april 2010

Go down

collecting trip saturday 17th april 2010 Empty collecting trip saturday 17th april 2010

Post  Admin on 17th April 2010, 11:32 am

One of those days when every thing was perfect again. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

We had clear water of 6 to 15 metres as the day went on,23c to 24c water temp,lots of life to chase and to just look at as well.

We had a beautiful sunny day with predictions of bad weather,like that was going to happen with increasing south easterlies on the first day?

On this trip one of the clubbies was trying his hand at this for the first time here and caught one of the rarest fish around as his first fish try,he is a diver of many years but the collecting in Q is a bit new to him,but as with all of us ,he was wrapped in some fish for his new large tank set up.
One of the other clubbies caught several this time as with other trips he had caught none,big smiles for sure there.

These are the pics of the day and over the next few days these will be added to.

A reasonable sunrise for us to appreciate.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The first two in collecting almost straight away upon arrival,very keen!

The clean water we had and this was when we got there,it was far clearer later on.

Some of the collected aquarium life forms.

A very young cleaner wrasse.

A very easy to keep blennie.

Heaps of cole tangs around.

A small lipstick tang.

Top fish the racoons,not that great with corals but still a nice fish.

Good to see some scopaz tangs around in the regular spot for them.

There were several lemon peel/perl scale cross dwarf angels around but they were left alone.

A medium sized copper band.

A cute,in an ugly way,dog face puffer.

Under water pics.

A small acro loosing a battle with algae.

These shrimp are to deep and in to much darkness to show any red colour.

This small banner fish hiding in the sea urchins thinks that will keep it safe,we didn't want it so it may work.

A couple of the millions of tube worms here.

Allways heaps of golden xenia here.

A cute little juvenile radianthus anemone.

All ways a few coral gobies around at this spot.
We had the catch gear for them but didn't bother.

One of the 30 to 50 zebra lions seen on the day.

Quite a few good sized pinneapple fish on the day,no one wanted any.

Through out all the tons of beautiful acropora stags,plates and soft corals this one stood out and had to have a pic of it,so cute.

You would not believe the varied tangs we get here, if you can get one before they are commercially caught that is.

The scopaz and lipstick tangs are highly sought after for the aquarium industry and that means that they are hunted commercially big time.
Itís very rare that you will find one as it has allready been collected and there are only a few exact spots where you can find specific species still there beyond commercial collection and even then itís first in best dressed with these popular fish and you do not put on the net those spots,that would be an action of some one brain dead.

In the south east each season is dispersed a lot of lineatus, heaps of the chronixis, chronix, Pyroferus variants, tons of olivaceous,a lot of striatus and in good years literally billions of the hepatus,than there are a lot of lituratus,millions of veliferum,often you find the white cheek which is very much like the japonicus,I donít know the latern name for that one and the scopaz,it used to be so common you wouldnít bother with them.

There are others but it is so varied its rediculas.

The reef tank trend made the tangs more of value than before and they do not last long out there any more before they are caught.

When the club in the distant past would go out there you would see twenty or fifty or even hundreds of some thing and we would just get our one or three at any given time, that time is gone, you have to be quick, know some un known spots or be very vigilant to get what was very common back a while.

You know you will see a commercial set up out there of up to four massive fence nets set up in one area at any time for herding everything into and yet I would never begrudge them, itís their job and the over all affects to the actual function of the marine mechanisms by them over all is near on zero.

The once popularity of any and all triggerfish is gone luckily,but there is still a problem with the wholesale taking of lobsters by them as they go along,this was and still is causing significant imbalances to species foods supply.

These two combined with some times overly speared tuskers and parrot fish are the predators of the sea urchins and once they get out of hand and it has happened, they strip the reef of virtually all lifeís juvenile food needs,( algae).

Once the life finishes its start in the plankton and heads for the oceans floor to populate the oceans reefs,No algae,no start,no fish.

Most of the aquarium species have no real importance to the marine habitat over all and people over all in the barrier reef interfere with less than one percent of these fish and inverts and thatís where most life comes from as planktonic sized creatures to begin with to populate the east Australian coast.

If you could just govern a few affectively of marine species being taken a little to many of, than there are no problems out there, just our air water and land pollution, they are the real destroyers of our oceans.

Last edited by Admin on 6th June 2010, 1:05 pm; edited 5 times in total

Admin

http://southeastqueenslandm.aforumfree.com

Back to top Go down

collecting trip saturday 17th april 2010 Empty Re: collecting trip saturday 17th april 2010

Post  DeadSled on 17th April 2010, 4:18 pm

Wow, those tangs are incredible. I've never seen any of those locally before.

I will have to get one of those scopas tangs when i get my 6ft up and running, they look awesome.
DeadSled
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

collecting trip saturday 17th april 2010 Empty Re: collecting trip saturday 17th april 2010

Post  shaz on 17th April 2010, 5:59 pm

i'm very jealous----- viz looks pretty good!! ------- you guys must be stoked with your collection for the day n nice pics too. -- i love the dog face puffer he's kinda cute ..... Smile

Last edited by shaz on 18th April 2010, 4:23 am; edited 1 time in total

shaz

http://www.swanseabackpackers.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on 18th April 2010, 1:52 am

Hey guys would you look at the weather this morning, wet, cold and miserable and we had a perfect day yesterday, they said it was going to be miserable than, donít you just love it, and we had a ball. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Laughing Laughing Laughing

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  shaz on 18th April 2010, 3:51 am

Admin ---interesting write up you have there... -- and we are very lucky to have such diverse marine life to appreciate Smile

As far as divers collecting comercial its all good with in reason. i have observed this myself . and the way the fish are collected is very effective . however my concern is the ratio of fish that do die in transit . and unfortunately many still do sadly...

i think we are in huge probs with our planet all together.. not just polution on land and ocean as such , but human life as it stands .. not sure what the answer is.. . but i feel we definitley need to do somthing to stop over population as it is now standing around the world... or we will face serious consequences as is now starting to show ! china has the one child- policy perhaps that is what we now need to use globally ..

as far as polution in our oceans --- i was just reading up on a topic the other day on the------ GARBAGE /TRASH VORTEX which stretches from the USA ----JAPAN and holds millions of tons of plastics and and is getting larger!!! Shocked i personally feel if we do not get our act together as minders on this planet It /We--- will not be hear much longer . .

shaz

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on 18th April 2010, 5:06 am

The answer is less people, there is no other answer at all.

For example! You donít recycle and do not go green yet when there is 11 million people and have 40 percent pollution, than you have 25 million people and recycle and go green and have a better 20 percent pollution, you still have a greater amount of pollution no matter what, in the long run as our politicians never ever think of is you have just gained and extra year or two before the eco system colapses,wow!

But hey, the main thing is it wonít happen in their life time!

I so often think of the new ones coming after me that will not see and experience what I have because of our ever increasing numbers, not our replacements, extras!

A level of population should be set and adhered to.

And there is no way religion that wants followers; politicians that have virtually no common sense and want voters or society in general that have instincts to breed will ever let that happen, period!!

Who is going to go against peopleís destructive instincts and rights to breed, china? looked what happened there.

Last edited by Admin on 18th April 2010, 5:56 am; edited 2 times in total

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  shaz on 18th April 2010, 5:23 am

ok fair enough --- ---- i was just saying as i felt ! ....

Last edited by shaz on 19th April 2010, 5:31 am; edited 1 time in total

shaz

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on 18th April 2010, 5:59 am

You have every right to speak your piece shaz, the problem is not with you or me sought of.

It is we have the right to dictate our own numbers as part of our society, thatís the problem; most of us have no idea where to stop.

Though that is more so in third world countries these days,hence boat people here more room there than more breeding there and more boat people here. cheers

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  shaz on 18th April 2010, 6:36 am

yeh very true !! i to often think of what my childrens family and future generations will miss out on ... it pains me really of what will become .
We could do pages on this topic if we got started ? ----As far as religion is concerned ? my feeling is that has alot to answer for !!! i am hearing all that you have just said.. and i agree with you totally . Also look what has gone down in the 3rd world in over population / human rights issues it is deplorable. !!

As for me using china as an example i was meaning at least they have some sort of system in place kinda ?? compared to other over populated countries . i certainly do not agree in any way or form with their policies on political human and animal rights issues as such . i have been to parts of asia many times and we are so very blessed to be living here in oz--- i can tell you

I have friends in the defence force one is a Leiut Commander of a patrol boat in fact ! and we are certainly in trouble with the "Extras . cheers

Last edited by shaz on 20th April 2010, 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

shaz

Back to top Go down

Post  ianqld on 18th April 2010, 10:28 am

I agree there should be controls to keep the world population from getting too big.

Back onto the original topic sunny the day was good and the diving was great.
A bit of an earlier start than some of us are use to, but it was worth it.

The water looked inviting when we got there. The sun was starting to shine.

As soon as we got in we were surrounded by schools of bait fish. As long as nothing came to eat them we were happy.

This fish was well camouflaged, until it moved.

There were some nice corals every where, this was something different.

This was a flower bed of soft coral, almost 2 metres long.

I stumbled upon one big Wobbegong by accident and it did not look happy at being disturbed, I was quickly back peddling as I took the photo.

ianqld
ianqld

Back to top Go down

Post  ianqld on 18th April 2010, 10:48 am

After a short break and a quick relocation, we were all back in for our second dive.
The water had got even clearer.

Some more colourful sea life. I'm not sure what it was, but it was pretty

One of the club members on the day having a close look at the beautful corals at this spot.

There was some machinery sunk as a reef with deeper water to explore.

The deeper water didn't stop our experienced divers, just added to the fun.

A nice sea sausage / sea cucumber syphoning the sand.

A close up look. It is hard to tell the front from the back. Apparently they breath through their bum, their breath must smell like ... well you know what I mean. Shocked

ianqld
ianqld

Back to top Go down

collecting trip saturday 17th april 2010 Empty Very Envious

Post  redsoxbill on 19th April 2010, 3:36 am

I for one is very envious of you guys down under, we do not have nearly the variety of fish off of the coast of North Carolina (USA) as you do, and also if no one else wants one of those pineapple fish you can always ship one here. They are very rare here, I have only seen one in person. Also anyone that wants to ship any of those coral gobies would be welcomed too! keep up the good field trips, gives me one more reason to stay active looking at this forum.
SAFE DIVING!!!

Bill drunken

redsoxbill

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down