Collecting trip sat 5th June 2010,top day

Go down

Collecting trip sat 5th June 2010,top day Empty Collecting trip sat 5th June 2010,top day

Post  liquidg on 5th June 2010, 4:02 pm

Itís been said before but once again a perfect day for the club outing.

This may be our slowdown trip as it is getting cold now and maybe we will have a few less trips and most every ones tanks are full now any way,now thats very rare,so hopefully the rock pool/picnic trips wil be more so on the cards for a while now.

Okay the day out,beautiful weather, far more life to choose form than we need, there was exploring rock pools part of the day and the second half of the day was spent free diving and having a ball up to the high tide.

One of the very experienced scuba divers amongst us got in at the last minute on tank to get a few pics,they will hopefully follow this thread soon.

The weather report was wrong again, you rarely get south westerlies strengthen after two days of them, in the cooler months it will normally weaken as the day goes on with the third day.

No matter,by 11am it was getting so glassy smooth, to look at the ocean you had to squint from the lovely winter sun reflecting off it.

After the guys got a little fish food and a look around the rock pools we all got in the cool water and got on with some very nice free diving.

There were dog sharks, pineapple fish, some clownfish, some lawn mower blennies, striped blennies, the list is endless,but we just wanted a few things for two clubbies tanks.

The sunirse was nearly as good as the day was.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

A few of us heading to the rock pools.

Fish food hunting.

Beautiful smooth waves this weekend.

The rock pool spots were lovely.

Lots of interesting algae in some pools.

Heaps of zoanthids to see in the pools,mainly green ones.

The free diving vis was not to bad at all.

One of the many lion fish seen.

The pics of this pineapple with the dog shark didn't turn out,so this is one of the two hanging around the sharks head for cover.

These lions were colleted but two zebras were put back as the guys only wanted two.

This litle crab has certainly got some nice colour on it,one of the clubbies is trying to identify it.

One of newish members that has been diving for many years wanted these tube worms for his new tank, in most tanks they get nailed by a worm type of predator over time or a lot of other predators eat them as well or they starve in most peoples tanks, so he wants to give them a go so we all helped get a couple for him,though his fish collecting skills are certainly getting very good, no one is propagating tube worms at this time in the club so just a few were gotten.

Last edited by liquidg on 8th April 2011, 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Collecting trip sat 5th June 2010,top day Empty Re: Collecting trip sat 5th June 2010,top day

Post  ianqld on 6th June 2010, 11:33 am

This was a long exhausting day and another fun trip.
Lots of time spent exploring and getting wet.
The water temperature wasn't too bad, it was only a bit cool when getting in. Though a couple of the members sounded like they were going for a dip in the Antarctic. Laughing
Underwater visibility was around 4 to 6 meters, enough to see the bottom.

The area was full of baitfish that were not scared of the divers.

There were a few crays in deeper water.

And where there were crays there was a resident Wobby.

Produce a camera and some of the fish would come up and pose for a snap shot.

I love Valentini Puffer fish, they are usually very friendly.

Video of a curious eel.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]]
ianqld
ianqld

Back to top Go down

Collecting trip sat 5th June 2010,top day Empty Re: Collecting trip sat 5th June 2010,top day

Post  liquidg on 6th June 2010, 1:00 pm

Excelent pics ianqld.

Was that cray an eating size Very Happy i didn't see a single cray any where that day, my eyes are getting old for sure and yeh i know i am one of the winging delicate ones that was objecting to the cold,lol.

I hate that first bit of water that goes down the back of the wetsuit,eeerrrrrr.

It always amazes me how our club pres is always the first one in and unlike me he never winges about the cold,some people are just suited to the water more than others unlike the delicate types,i mean me. Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  moorish idol on 7th June 2010, 5:38 am

Will have to checkout your club sometime . . how big is that wobby ? . I noticed some sea urchins in the background .
.Did anyone view this cooking program last week with the seafood platter including sea urchins ? cant think of the shows name off hand
.looks like in the background of the wobby shot you could have a feast. there along with the nice speared fish that you enjoy Laughing
Have you found out what type of crab it is as yet ? nice colours .
cheers

moorish idol

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 7th June 2010, 11:47 am

The club pres is finding out the name of the crab and will have it hopefully at the meeting tomorrow night.
The wobby shown is around six feet, at that spot they get from an average of four to seven feet in length, another spot last time the biggest was nearly twelve feet in length, but thatís not often.
The taste of sea urchins is not for me but I have met others that like them so thatís cool.

Back to top Go down

Post  too_wongs on 7th June 2010, 3:10 pm

Hello. I venture outside of the introduction forum.

I like these photos and the fishes seen. I would like to come one day if I may. I have dive ticket I collected many years ago in my home country. In 1999 that is. Been here since 2001.

Where was the dive taken?

too_wongs

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on 8th June 2010, 1:10 am

Vawn is right again,all is deleted.

Sorry Micheal but we don't place exact spots or directions to these spots on the forum and they are club member trips any way.

Good to see you have done some underwater adventures.
Very Happy

Admin

http://southeastqueenslandm.aforumfree.com

Back to top Go down

Post  too_wongs on 8th June 2010, 12:04 pm

So am I not member by joining forum?

too_wongs

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 8th June 2010, 1:17 pm

Sorry mate the aandtsociety is the club that runs the forum but is an actual club that meets out side the forum.

There is the freshwater breeders section and the marine group that has these collecting trips that are discused and arranged normally at meetings.

Unless you are into clubs,sorry mate

Back to top Go down

Post  too_wongs on 8th June 2010, 1:23 pm

How do you join club?

too_wongs

Back to top Go down

Post  fishnthings on 9th June 2010, 4:16 am

michael where do you live ?

fishnthings

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 9th June 2010, 5:02 am

He lives at toowong as in his profile,i assume,which suburb do you live in fishnthings?

Back to top Go down

Post  fishnthings on 10th June 2010, 11:42 am

sorry was not looking at that .Michael was asking about fish shops and i also have been looking on the internet and checking out prices ! so was going to let him know if i found anything .
I'm originally from Narooma in Southern New South Wales called the Saphire Coast . have you been there before.? now just back from the big O/E .

fishnthings

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 10th June 2010, 1:59 pm

Tim and Kate normally have good prices but aquarium warehouse has the best prices though you want to know how to choose a good fish.

I have been down the NSW south coast a long time ago on a few surfing trips but we come from the central coast above sydney.

Moved up here in 77.

Back to top Go down

Post  fishnthings on 15th June 2010, 10:37 am

too_wongs wrote:Hello. I venture outside of the introduction forum.

I like these photos and the fishes seen. I would like to come one day if I may. I have dive ticket I collected many years ago in my home country. In 1999 that is. Been here since 2001.

Where was the dive taken?
hi michael where is your home country and how do you find the quality of reef here in australia ? what species /marine life did you collect ?

fishnthings

Back to top Go down

Post  too_wongs on 16th June 2010, 12:52 pm

China.

Reefing is very popular in Asia, we like fish.

I have not collect yet hopefully soon

too_wongs

Back to top Go down

Post  fishnthings on 16th June 2010, 2:11 pm

i am sure you will have a great opportunity and find excellent spots to collect your own fish by what i have read so far on this forum.

fishnthings

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down