DeadSleds 6ft Tank Buildup.

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

DeadSleds 6ft Tank Buildup.

Post  DeadSled on 4th October 2010, 4:27 pm

So some of the club guys know that i've been planning a 6ft tank since my 21st back in april. I finally got a chance between uni work, building a Hot Rod and also doing some custom work on my "Tail Dragger" style custom EK Holden sedan (to be coupe eventually..).. to throw together a beefy stand for my tank.

Basically what started it was despite planning for months, a builder brought in some old posts into my work and we had to make new ones, he left the old ones for us to do whatever we wanted. Needless to say, my mate/boss let me cut them up for tank legs. I used some steel i had here for the rest.

Heres the stand during the build.

My old four foot torn down.. Crying or Very sad

6ft tank (Made by Aquariums-R-Us) on the stand, just cleaning it out. When the tank was dropped off, i was expecting the truck driver / tank builder to help out in getting the tank onto the stand. He advised that i needed to add a piece of steel on each end, inbetween the end legs. I had to sand the paint off, and TIG weld some new bits in. Easy as job, except for the fact he didn't bring my bulkheads and left after dropping the tank off in my garage, knowing we didn't have enough people there to get it onto the stand.. without saying anything. I was very shitty about this. Terrible customer service, and the guy just seemed like a bit of a douche.

Tank so far. Some of the aquascaping is done, i've also done all my bulkheads (that i had to go and buy at Bunnings because Aquariums-R-Us didn't give me any despite they were on the order sheet).. made a custom overflow box, some of the plumbing and painted the back. Shit pictures, i know.

The aquascaping is by no means done at all, i still have three tubs worth of live rocks to go in. That was just all my dead rocks. Also i will be filling the tank tomorrow almost to the top, so that i can get it all flowing and get the rest of my rocks and my fish in. Then ive got to modify all the sump stuff. It never ends.

I'm also aware the water looks disgusting. It hassn't settled yet, and most of the water is a mix of old tank water, and basically the water that got stirred up when i got all my old sand in a bucket. It'll look nice once its all full and filtering Smile

More pics to come tomorrow night!
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

6ft tank

Post  atdm on 6th October 2010, 2:15 am

finally some progress aye?

Your old holden looks nice sedan..........it is the way they were meant to be.................do not screw the old car mate...........

Australians love original holdens.............

atdm

Back to top Go down

Re: DeadSleds 6ft Tank Buildup.

Post  DeadSled on 6th October 2010, 3:17 am

Haha yep. I've got it all done now, just have to do the 2 sump tanks side of it. Fish are all swimming happily in the 6ft.

Haha, I like my Kingswood standardish but the EK will be custom Razz Don't worry Andre, it'll be good when its finished Very Happy
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  fishnthings on 22nd October 2010, 6:56 am

DeadSled wrote:So some of the club guys know that i've been planning a 6ft tank since my 21st back in april. I finally got a chance between uni work, building a Hot Rod and also doing some custom work on my "Tail Dragger" style custom EK Holden sedan (to be coupe eventually..).. to throw together a beefy stand for my tank.

Basically what started it was despite planning for months, a builder brought in some old posts into my work and we had to make new ones, he left the old ones for us to do whatever we wanted. Needless to say, my mate/boss let me cut them up for tank legs. I used some steel i had here for the rest.

Heres the stand during the build.

My old four foot torn down.. Crying or Very sad

6ft tank (Made by Aquariums-R-Us) on the stand, just cleaning it out. When the tank was dropped off, i was expecting the truck driver / tank builder to help out in getting the tank onto the stand. He advised that i needed to add a piece of steel on each end, inbetween the end legs. I had to sand the paint off, and TIG weld some new bits in. Easy as job, except for the fact he didn't bring my bulkheads and left after dropping the tank off in my garage, knowing we didn't have enough people there to get it onto the stand.. without saying anything. I was very shitty about this. Terrible customer service, and the guy just seemed like a bit of a douche.

Tank so far. Some of the aquascaping is done, i've also done all my bulkheads (that i had to go and buy at Bunnings because Aquariums-R-Us didn't give me any despite they were on the order sheet).. made a custom overflow box, some of the plumbing and painted the back. Shit pictures, i know.

The aquascaping is by no means done at all, i still have three tubs worth of live rocks to go in. That was just all my dead rocks. Also i will be filling the tank tomorrow almost to the top, so that i can get it all flowing and get the rest of my rocks and my fish in. Then ive got to modify all the sump stuff. It never ends.

I'm also aware the water looks disgusting. It hassn't settled yet, and most of the water is a mix of old tank water, and basically the water that got stirred up when i got all my old sand in a bucket. It'll look nice once its all full and filtering Smile

More pics to come tomorrow night!
Hi Deadsled
Your tank looks great !!!
What fish did you add . ? Wished we could have one that big <sigh> too many dollars and not enough time to maintain or room to keep a
6 foot unfortunately.

fishnthings

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled on 22nd October 2010, 8:05 am

Mate i know what you mean, its been expensive so far and still have about another grand of equipment to go. Try juggling a 6ft marine tank with plans of SPS corals ($$$ in equipment), a Hot Rod, keeping my Kingswood on the road and also being a uni student. Its all kinds of fun Rolling Eyes

Fishwise, i've got:

1 Eyestripe Tang (Acanthurus Dussumieri)
1 Naso Tang
1 Blue Tang
1 Scopas Tang
1 Orange Spot / Striated Kole Tang
4 Akindynos Clownfish
1 Maroon Clown
1 Tomato Clown
1 Gunther Wrasse
1 Bi-Colour Angel
1 Pygmy Angel
2 Local Blennys
1 Scooter Dragonet
1 Valentini (I think) Puffer
1 Barred Rabbitfish

I did have a 5" Koran Angel, just getting its adult colours until i came home last night and found it on the bottom upside down. No idea why and everything else is fine.. quite a mystery but it was one of the nicest fish in the tank so i'm pretty bummed about losing it.

I will get some more pics over the weekend of how the tank looks now and the sump setups, which isn't quite finished just yet but getting there.
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  Fish-fan on 22nd October 2010, 3:08 pm

Phew!!!!! this sure beats post & pics of old car bodies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS This post is the result of 2 bottles of NZ sav blanc

Fish-fan

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled on 23rd October 2010, 3:03 am

Shhhh you old cars rule.

I will get more pics over the weekend =)
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled on 24th October 2010, 1:24 pm

So heres some pictures from tonight. Please excuse the shitty camera phone pictures, but they go alright i guess. My missus is getting a mint as 12mp camera soon so she'll take some awesome pics for me of the tank but for now these will have to do.

Don't know why this first one is a bit yellowy, maybe the flash? I duno.

Heres a pic of my refugium and old skimmer. One of the club members had an idea of doing a bunch of pipes with substrate and water passing through as a filter, i decided since i'm getting a new skimmer in a week or so that i'd put the old one to use. I filled it up with substrate and put a air pump on it and decided to see what'd happen. It seems to work well pushing water and air through the substrate so i guess it'd make a good filter. Time will tell i suppose.

As you can see i'm running my old 4ft and a 2ft lights because i can't afford a mint new one just yet. I'm planning 3 x 250 halides, 4 x HO T5 and 4 x LED's. Should be awesome. Hopefully getting that in a few weeks.

Also the sumps are not running just yet, gona hopefully order my skimmer tomorrow arvo and probably mix up the remainder of salt mix that i've got left (good for maybe 2 - 300 liters) and then get that in and have to get the rest of the water delivered probably the week after.

This tanks left me nearly broke so things are just taking time to get done.

Also for anyone wondering, the top tank is going to be a frag tank for one half, and probably going to run my skimmer on the left hand side and will most likely put a baffle in between that section and the frag area. Will be running a calcium reactor in the bottom section after the refugium.

I want to get a lot of SPS corals for this tank, which is why i'm getting $720 lights and a calc reactor and eventually a dosing pump and chambers for magnesium and strontium and whatever else. I'm still new to keeping sps, but if i'm gona have a bloody big tank i may as well make it epic good.
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  redsoxbill on 26th October 2010, 2:43 am

very nice build thread, and great use of more is less in the area of rock aquascaping. Great Job!!! cheers

redsoxbill

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled on 26th October 2010, 7:48 am

Cheers mate. I'm getting some rock off a bloke on here in a week or so hopefully i can build another pillar and put it ontop of the flat bit on the left. I kinda feel like its missing something.
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

lights

Post  atdm on 29th October 2010, 1:53 pm

Hey chicken boy

Mate I was thinking that 3 x 250 Metal Halides will be expensive to run, have you looked at leds,

for $750 you can buy some mean led lights and have an output closer to 400w with very low power consumption.

As you are saying money is an issue at the moment maybe that would be one possible option for you.

Check out BSKed.com

The other option is possibly running 8 to 10 high output T5's. Quite a few people have awesome tanks with t5 on them and you get better colours with t5s as you can mix them say 2 whites 2 actinics 2 fiji purples and back to whites.

there are some ATI's units like Marks, they are pricey but they may be cheaper to run.....

Also instead of a calcium reactor, think about damprid and a dosing pump.

Guppies sells some dosing pump units for like $300 with three dosing pumps fully controllable, so you can dose damprid (calcium), bicarb soda (alkalinity) and whatever else you fancy like magnesium or anything like that

Check them out, cheaper to buy and way cheaper to run....
Maybe that's something you can think of

atdm

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled on 30th October 2010, 3:20 am

Hey Andre,

That BSKed.com didn't work.

The LED is a good idea although because their so new technology as far as aquarium lighting goes, i'm not so sure i'd wana dive in and go with them just yet. The T5 is a great idea and something i have thought of as well. I do want to keep SPS though but i'm sure all those T5 would be fine.

In regards to running 8+ T5 bulbs, theres a light fitting on Guppies - SolarMax 8x8x39W = 16 globes T5 1800 Long Light With Individual Reflectors + Suspension Kit but their only 39w bulbs, i'd rather something way more brighter than that. The price is good though.

I just wassn't sure if i should go with that above fitting with 16 39w bulbs, for $550 (with NO bulbs included) or pay $720 for this 250W New Aquarium Metal Halide 1800 Long With 10000K which is 3 x 250w halides and also 4 x 54w T5, and 4 x LED.

I have seen the dosing pumps they have on there and that did interest me as well.
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  Kitiara on 30th October 2010, 10:43 am

he meant bsled.com. It's the same guys who did my lights.

With T5 it's the length of the tube that determines their wattage. You would find 39w would be a 3 foot tube from memory

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled on 30th October 2010, 11:19 am

Thanks for that info Kit. So when they have 16 tubes, it'd be 2 x 3ft per bank i think the word is. So 8 lines, but 2 per line. Right.

I'll check out that LED site as well!

Edit: What kind of lights were yours Kit? I'm on the site but not sure what catagory ect they are under.
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  Kitiara on 30th October 2010, 12:06 pm

Exactly. Just consider how wide the units are also, 8 tubes wide would cover a fair amount of real estate. If you want a higher wattage look for a 5 foot fixture - that would be 54w per tube, but the fixture won't extend to the ends of the tank (if you are hanging them the light will reach the ends, will be slightly less intense but not overly noticable - just put your higher demand corals directly under the light)

My lights aren't listed on the site, closest would be the grow lights. BSLED are happy to make them custom to your requirements which is what I did. I told them how many of what color LED I wanted and in what configuration.

Closest to mine would be on their Alibaba site

You don't want 300w though, due to the way LEDS are designed they are more intense than other forms of lighting. For a 2 foot deep tank I'd suggest 150w, but you would need 3 lights for 6 foot long (I have 2x80w over 4 foot long and 80cm deep)

Last edited by Kitiara on 3rd November 2010, 5:37 am; edited 1 time in total

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled on 30th October 2010, 4:00 pm

Ahh yes i see. I do want a 6ft fixture although extra wattage would be nice. How do you think the 39watt bulbs would perform over a tank thats 30" deep Kit?

I'm still not sure if i would want to go LED, being such new technology as far as aquarium lighting goes, although i think i'd like more than just 39w bulbs. Hm.
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  Kitiara on 30th October 2010, 4:27 pm

the 39w would go ok, just avoid the higher light demanding corals or stick them high up on the LR near the surface. The more tubes the better spread and brighter (not too sure on if that will improve penetration of the water, I'm no expert)

One thing to remember is that T5's and MH all produce a lot of heat, if close to the water this gets transmitted to the water and increases the water temp - the last thing we need in a QLD summer.

You could also ask Phil about the T2 lighting he brought in to show us that time, that looked quite interesting

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled on 30th October 2010, 4:38 pm

I can't remember if i was there when Phil brought those lights in. I MAY have been, i can't remember.

I know about the heat thing, and i'm planning on buying a big ass chiller eventually. In saying that, 500L or so of my tank water is in two 4ft sumps, in our what is setup as a sauna. It has tiled floors, dark, and stays rather cool even in summer. So i don't think the tank will get overly hot with that much water overall (whole system is 1500L give or take 50L).

I really want to keep SPS, which i know lighting is a big part of it. I do plan on making my rocks a fair bit higher on the left hand side with another pillar, although i'm still not sure if 39w is really enough, if thats what they use on a tiny 3ft tank..
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  Kitiara on 31st October 2010, 2:38 am

actually it's 4 foot that is 54w - 5 foot is 80w..... personally I'd go the 5 foot if you are going T5's. I have a 5 foot Solarmax on my 6 foot cichlid tank, approx 5cm from the water and I barely notice any decrease in light at the ends - I have to actually look for it. (they should be mounted higher but they are under a hood, due to heat I only run 2 of the 4 tubes) I got my light second hand and the guy before me had kept mixed corals etc under it. If you stick it 10 - 15cm from the water I highly doubt you would see any light drop off. The only 6 foot lights I am aware of use smaller tubes to make up the length

I'm afraid I have exhausted my very limited lighting knowledge..... I know there are a lot of people who have a lot of lighting knowledge on 'other' forums.

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled on 31st October 2010, 3:02 am

Interesting about the 5ft being 80w, that sounds good. I'll have to do a bunch more research then.

The reason i was thinking of the 3 x halides with the 4 x HO T5 was that it'd be bloody bright, but then i do like as andre pointed out that you have a much larger selection of colours with the more bulbs. I'll have to go on reefcentral and nano-reef and look at what guys with 6ft tanks are running for lights and what they look like over their tanks.
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

lighting

Post  atdm on 1st November 2010, 12:37 pm

Hey

As kit said BSLED is the website, sorry about that

I have seen very nice tanks with t5īs, growing nice sps but you need at least 54w bulbs and need at least 8 bulbs at the time.

T5ś would lose a bit of par towars the bottom of the tank for tanks of 2ft or higher but you can fix this by putting some less demanding corals at the bottom

Read about the leds, I reckon that is the way to go, and you can get the bulbs done any way you want and any mix blue/white bulbs you want.

When I update my lights it will go to leds but I will let you experiment with those bulbs first......................haha

atdm

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled on 1st November 2010, 2:38 pm

I don't know enough about the colour combinations to order something like that only to find i don't like it haha.

I want a 6ft light setup, with bloody 54w at least bulbs, and lots of them! Much more than just like 8 or something. Which is why i'm still leaning towards the halide / t5 / led setup thats on guppies.
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled on 1st November 2010, 3:11 pm

Anyone have an opinion on these:

Hagen Remote Ballast Kit

I was looking at it before, and though to myself that i could buy like four of these, make my own aluminium frame at work, mount these ballasts to it.. fold up some reflectors if i can find out the angle that the folds are of the giessman reflectors that Age of Aquariums sells, mount those.. and then get some MH and mount those and it could work out better and cheaper than a premade setup.

Hm.
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  Kitiara on 1st November 2010, 11:20 pm

All I can say is sounds like a lot of work...... if you can think you can do it then :-)

one thing I don't think you have considered is the overall width of the lighting - 8 tubes you would be looking at around 2 foot wide, and with the 54w tubes still only around 4 foot long unless you overlap them in the middle - which in my opinion would look bloody awful.

The only way you would get a 6 foot fitting would be to get the 39w tubes in pairs or metal halides. (well you can get 6 foot LED fittings for aquariums, and no, you DON'T want to know the price......)

Realistically I think you are looking at 2 choices under $1000 if you want decent corals- 5 foot T5's or MH (or you can get lights like mine, but you would need 3 separate lights, and that may just tip the $1000mark).

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled on 2nd November 2010, 3:31 am

If going all T5, i found this last night on the guppies page. Would this be a good option perhaps?

Instead of getting this for $550, and then still having to buy bulbs..

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

What about getting like 2 or 3 of these perhaps for the same price, and it comes with bulbs.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top