DeadSleds 6ft Tank Buildup.

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: DeadSleds 6ft Tank Buildup.

Post  Kitiara on 2nd November 2010, 10:32 am

it would work but you wouldn't get as much light penetration to the bottom of the tank with 39w bulbs. I don't know if throwing more low wattage tubes at it would increase the penetration or not. Something you would need to look up me thinks :-)

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled on 2nd November 2010, 10:57 am

I know. It just seems cheaper than the 16 39w setup which was the first link.

I had a look on RC last night and most guys have like 80w bulbs. Where the hell do you get setups like that for under a grand?
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  Kitiara on 2nd November 2010, 1:15 pm

Some ideas......

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

There are probably others around

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled on 2nd November 2010, 1:48 pm

Thanks for those links Kit. After thinking about it, a 5ft would be fine considering it'd be a half foot either side of no light fitting, but the light would taper outwards so the whole tank would be sweet anyway.

That DE Lighting fixture looks good, but do you think for only 6 bulbs its worth the extra money as opposed to the other one? Also, does it come with bulbs for that price? The one on guppies does not come with bulbs so would probably end up the same price anyway i suppose.
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  Kitiara on 2nd November 2010, 11:23 pm

of course it would be fine - 99% of people with 6 foot tanks and T5's run 5 foot lights. I saw a tank on the weekend that was a 7 footer and had 5 foot lights (and solartubes in the middle) and it looked good (ask Andres - he was there too) As I said I have one on my 6 footer just above the waterline and don't really notice any drop off at the ends unless I really look, if the light was more than 5cm above the water you wouldn't see it at all even if you did look, the light would have a chance to spread before it got to the water.

I didn't look up any reviews or anything on the lights, just did a quick 5 min google on what is avail in Au. I think Guppies does kits as well (end caps and reflectors etc to make your own) The description on the DE light says it comes with ATI tubes but not what color.

The advantages of getting your own bulbs is you can mix and match the tubes to get the color you want instead of just having whatever they give you - which I believe in most cases would be all identical tubes

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled on 3rd November 2010, 4:43 am

Could you request what colour bulbs?

So its basically a choice between these two.

Or this one..

For the price of the DE Lighting fitting, i could get two of the other one. Although thats minus bulbs, but at least i know i can add a second fitting at a later date. Plus the Guppies one has 8 x T5 whereas the DE has only 6.
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  Kitiara on 3rd November 2010, 5:36 am

you would have to ask them if you can choose the color.

I doubt you'd want to add a second fitting - 2 light fittings hard up against each other would be wider than the tank, also 8 tubes would be PLENTY bright enough. The Guppies light also comes with the frame to hang it also if you wanted to go that way.

ATI also do 5 foot lights from memory - don't know the cost of them though

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled on 3rd November 2010, 7:51 am

Thanks for the info Kit. I think you can get 5ft fixtures with only 2 or 4 lights in them, so if i wanted anymore i could always add one of those.

I think i'll go with the 5ft one from Guppies, and then buy all the bulbs separately.
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  fishnthings on 28th November 2010, 8:53 am

DeadSled wrote:So heres some pictures from tonight. Please excuse the shitty camera phone pictures, but they go alright i guess. My missus is getting a mint as 12mp camera soon so she'll take some awesome pics for me of the tank but for now these will have to do.

Don't know why this first one is a bit yellowy, maybe the flash? I duno.

Heres a pic of my refugium and old skimmer. One of the club members had an idea of doing a bunch of pipes with substrate and water passing through as a filter, i decided since i'm getting a new skimmer in a week or so that i'd put the old one to use. I filled it up with substrate and put a air pump on it and decided to see what'd happen. It seems to work well pushing water and air through the substrate so i guess it'd make a good filter. Time will tell i suppose.

As you can see i'm running my old 4ft and a 2ft lights because i can't afford a mint new one just yet. I'm planning 3 x 250 halides, 4 x HO T5 and 4 x LED's. Should be awesome. Hopefully getting that in a few weeks.

Also the sumps are not running just yet, gona hopefully order my skimmer tomorrow arvo and probably mix up the remainder of salt mix that i've got left (good for maybe 2 - 300 liters) and then get that in and have to get the rest of the water delivered probably the week after.

This tanks left me nearly broke so things are just taking time to get done.

Also for anyone wondering, the top tank is going to be a frag tank for one half, and probably going to run my skimmer on the left hand side and will most likely put a baffle in between that section and the frag area. Will be running a calcium reactor in the bottom section after the refugium.

I want to get a lot of SPS corals for this tank, which is why i'm getting $720 lights and a calc reactor and eventually a dosing pump and chambers for magnesium and strontium and whatever else. I'm still new to keeping sps, but if i'm gona have a bloody big tank i may as well make it epic good.
Love your rock scape Deadsled . your tank is looking great !
How are your fish taking to your new set up, Any new ones added since October ?

fishnthings

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled on 28th November 2010, 10:41 am

Hey,

The fish were fine and adjusted very well to the bigger tank. I had added a Vlamingi Tang, a Latz Clownfish and a Striped or Fangtooth Blenny (One of the two..) but the Clownfish had velvet or something and the tang had white spot, so i've now lost..

2 x Local Blennies
1 x Striped / whatever Blenny
1 x Latz Clownfish
4 x Akindynos Clownfish
1 x Naso Tang
1 x Bi-Colour Angel
Possibly my baby Maroon Clownfish (I loved this little guy..)
1 x Gunthers Wrasse

There could possibly be one other fish but i can't remember at the moment. So i'm pretty annoyed about that, but at least it gives me a chance to try out some different fish that i've always wanted.

I want to get..

Coral Beauty
Heraldi or Lemon Peel Angel
2 New Tangs that i haven't decided on yet
Maroon Clownfish or Clarkii

And duno what else yet. Still also have to make a rock pillar for the left hand side, just haven't had a chance yet.

Oh and i got a really nice little acro frag off Andre from the club, so i'm stoked about that and can't wait to see it start growing.
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  fishnthings on 27th December 2010, 2:09 pm

Hi Dead sled
Hows the tank going now ? I see you have lost a few ! Yes It would be very upsetting especially after having them for a time and getting to know their personalities . Hows the Acro Frag coming along? Have you added anymore fish from your wish list as yet bounce
Hope you had a great Christmas day with family and friends santa

fishnthings

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled on 27th December 2010, 3:30 pm

Hey Mate,

Nah haven't added any new fish just yet. I might be getting a very large foxface from a friend whos had it for about 3 years though and is way outgrown his old red sea max.

The Acro looked like it was going to shit all of a sudden, theres a possibility my valentini puffer was nipping at it. It seems to be colouring right back up again though so it should be fine!

I also got given a whole bunch of zoanthid frags and two rocks with a massive mat of them today from the same mate as above, so we'll see how they go in due time.

I've also shifted a few corals around here and there, but other than that its going well so far.
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  fishnthings on 1st January 2011, 9:59 am

Way to go.sounds awesome getting some freebees ! . I gather you cant put them back into the ocean anyways?
still learning all the different genus of marines.will look those fish up and corals up.
.Do you find moving stuff about in your tank that it sends it haywire..had this happen to us from relocating out tank Rolling Eyes
Look forward to seeing more updates.
Happy New Year
cheers :::

fishnthings

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled on 1st January 2011, 11:34 am

Nah you can't put em back, or not legally anyway.

Moving stuff in the tank is fine, although its a pain in the ass because i'm short and the tank is too damn high for me to reach the bottom.
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  fishnthings on 29th January 2011, 1:19 pm

Hi DeadSled
Hows your tank coming along these days... How high is it exactly ?.
Also noted your club meeting dates posted is that free for all to come along .

fishnthings

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled on 30th January 2011, 11:32 am

Hey,

Tank is doing well still, as usual. Its 72" x 30" x 30". I think its a really good sized tank, nice height and good being the same width gives you a lot of room.

Club meetings are free to attend, if you like it its $25 to become a member. By being a member you get to come along to our collecting trips and stuff. Its a pretty sweet deal.
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  fishnthings on 18th February 2011, 1:33 pm

Thanks for the information .
Yeh it looks like you have it going along nicely now. do you use fresh or made up sea water?
Have you been on any collecting trips or low tide walks this summer ?. It will be interesting hear if the floods may have effected the marine life in your area.. (hopefully none )

fishnthings

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled on 18th February 2011, 2:08 pm

I usually use salt water but with the current condition (assumably..) of our local seawater i'll be using made up stuff next time i get around to doing a water change.

Haven't done anything to the tank lately bar clean the glass, move powerheads around and feed them. In between my Kingswood being off the road for a respray and engine build and having no work i can't afford to do anything on the tank. I start a new job on monday so will be getting new lights skimmer and some other reactors and shit soon enough though Very Happy
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  fishnthings on 24th April 2011, 4:28 pm

Hi Dead sled
Did you end up getting your new skimmer and lights for your tank ? .

fishnthings

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled on 25th April 2011, 4:54 am

Hey nah I haven't gotten anything for it lately. It's in pretty bad need of a water change though I think.
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 25th April 2011, 2:14 pm

Hey deadsled,how are melanopus and the akindynos amphriprions going together,do they fight at all?

Back to top Go down

Post  fishnthings on 25th April 2011, 3:51 pm

DeadSled wrote:Hey nah I haven't gotten anything for it lately. It's in pretty bad need of a water change though I think.
Was wondering how the ocean was up there with all that run off.
I changed ours today its looking great , finding more hitch hikers we now have a pistol shrimp !

fishnthings

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled on 26th April 2011, 1:15 pm

Liquidg,

They were doing great actually until i got a latz from Danny about 6 months ago and it had whitespot or velvet, killed off all of my clowns and a few other things Sad

I only have now..

Eyestripe Tang, Kole Tang, Scopas Tang, Blue Tang, Coral Beauty, Another Pygmy Angel i've had forever, 2 x local Blennys, 3 x Sargent Majors (very juvenile), 2 x Stripeys, a Valentini Puffer and the Tomato Clown. I think i've lost my little scooter dragonet that i caught on one of the club trips about a year ago as well Sad very sad about that.

DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 26th April 2011, 2:00 pm

Thatís a bummer,i like seeing different clowns together, its no an easy thing to keep going.
I think its a fair sought of achievement to get different types of amphiprions to live in harmony together and last the test of time with out any serious damage to each other.

The one thing marine keepers can always rely on, the eventual death of their marine pets, whether it be ten years or one month of life in the lounge room, it will happen, even if you pass them on to some one else,mistakes ,accidents or the inevitable happen, no matter what!

The ocean isnít much better,98 percent of all marine aquarium fish donít make it to adult hood due to predation, thatís the government stats and human interfearance,not pollution, accounts for .02 percent of marine aquarium species.

Most marine aquarium species are food chain fish.

You should have a quarantine set up,no matter where they come from, even the tub system I use is better than nothing, very easy to treat an area of water like that,infact I used to leave a trace treatment in the water all the time, copper sulphate and a citric acid mix.

I was at a produce store out Jimboomba way recently and they had bags of copper sulphate for sale there, with lite traces of that, with anti fungal and anti bacterial to add later in your quarantine tanks all the time, nothing beats that, if you canít get chloroquine easily that is.

Oh well thereís always more fish in the shops that came from the ocean that luckily some of us donít have to buy that commercial collectors catch in the same ways we do, well most of them donít catch with drugs or in very rough ways.

Back to top Go down

Post  fishnthings on 26th July 2011, 5:31 pm

Hi Deadsled
Hows the tank going these days , any knew additions ?

fishnthings

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top