Kit's 4x2.5x2.7 (pic heavy)

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Kit's 4x2.5x2.7 (pic heavy)

Post  Kitiara on 26th October 2010, 11:45 am

Been a while since I have been on here (slack I know) Thought I should post up my current work in progress. As some of you are aware my 4 foot cichlid tank suffered a 'minor' accident and required replacing. Since the length of wall was only suited to a 4 foot tank I increased the width and depth to create extra water volume.

Tank and stand

Sump

Everything all set up and ready to go

Or so I thought.....

the bulkheads leaked. I had to pull everything off and purchase new plumbing (because of the limited space for the plumbing I had to glue everything together, then glue it on. It was a nightmare getting it off again, and impossible to get the fittings back on) I am currently slowly attaching the bulkheads and making liberal use of silicone this time around.

The LED lights and light frame I made from connect it tubing

A tank shot with one light on (the second timer was damaged in transit, has now been fixed but will give you a rough idea on how bright the lights are

For tank scape am thinking of doing a couple of bombies at this stage - will probably play around till I am happy with something. I have cut up these baskets to use as supports for live rock and make caves

I can't wait to get this thing all set up and finalized. My old tank will be disassembled and the inhabitants moved to this one.

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Re: Kit's 4x2.5x2.7 (pic heavy)

Post  Kitiara on 27th October 2010, 1:31 pm

plumbing sorted. first water test done

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  Kitiara on 28th October 2010, 3:41 pm

Well the salt water and the live rock is in. Looks like crap atm as all cloudy from the sand and salt. Will take pics once it clears

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  Kitiara on 29th October 2010, 8:39 am

Still a little cloudy but clearing up. Fish are in as their tank was stripped for stuff for this tank (substrate, live rock, chiller)

Full tank shot

Hallway end

Other end

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  Kitiara on 31st October 2010, 10:38 am

well the diatom bloom is starting..... I now have brown patches on the sand........

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  Kitiara on 14th November 2010, 2:03 am

Still have a lot of diatoms (brown is NOT my favorite color) The timer on the LED light I ended up sending back. It seemed the initial fault was fixed but it's programming was scrambled. It wouldn't keep time and kept switching modes at random.

I have added in some new fish. A blue tang and 2 royal grammas

My photography skills are pretty lousy (slowly getting the hang of it though)

Tank as it stands now, LEDS on the left and my old compact fluro on the right while waiting on the timer to be fixed

it's quite a difference - the LEDS are 180w, mix of blue and white. The compact fluro is 192w with 2x split tubes (half actinic and 10k in the one tube) I definately prefer the look of the LEDS. The photo doesn't give the difference enough justice - the LEDS are brighter and clearer, the compact fluros which on the old tank look nice and white are dimmer and 'muddy' looking in comparison.

Blue tang

Royal grammas

new acan

yellow tang (not new, but this is the best pic I have taken so far!)

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

new tank

Post  Ulster on 17th November 2010, 12:11 pm

very impressive well done

Ulster

Back to top Go down

Post  fishnthings on 28th November 2010, 1:15 am

Nice 1 Kitiara.... love all your fish choices
your tank looking great !!

fishnthings

Back to top Go down

Post  Ulster on 28th November 2010, 3:00 am

Nice setup if you are looking for a Coral beauty let me know.

Ulster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kitiara on 28th November 2010, 3:26 am

Thank you.

While I like coral beauties and have had them in the past they generally don't mix well with flame angels. I'd rather not take the risk of them killing each other

Current fish stock
- Flame Angel
- Blue Tang
- Yellow Tang
- 2 Royal Grammas
- Pair Clarkii Clowns
- 6 Line Wrasse
- Peacock Blenny
- Cleaner Wrasse
- Decorated Goby

I am slowly adding more corals, at this stage mostly acans and a couple of scoly's. One I got yesterday cheap is bleached and not particularly healthy, hoping it will pick up. Be interesting to see what color it really is if it does come good.

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled on 28th November 2010, 4:47 am

I'm keen for a coral beauty! I PMed you mate.
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  fishnthings on 28th November 2010, 9:00 am

How big do the Clarkaii Clowns grow too..?

fishnthings

Back to top Go down

Post  Kitiara on 28th November 2010, 9:08 am

They grow to around 12cm normally

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  fishnthings on 17th December 2010, 6:18 am

Thank you .What FS did you get them from ? do you find them aggressive at all ?

fishnthings

Back to top Go down

Post  Kitiara on 22nd December 2010, 3:35 pm

More pics as at today, please forgive the dirty sand and lower glass (really need some more sand sifters)

Front

Left side

Right side

Hammer and toxic frogspawn

Scoly and elegance

Acan (this was pink, now is more orange)

Bleached scoly I got cheap. wonder what color it will end up if it survives?

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  fishnthings on 22nd December 2010, 3:56 pm

Fish are looking great Kit Also like the way you have your rock scape .

Last edited by fishnthings on 21st April 2011, 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

fishnthings

Back to top Go down

Post  Kitiara on 23rd December 2010, 4:23 am

Many thanks. Hard to take photos which show the scape accurately (hopefully I'll get better with practice) it's 2 bombies supported by the baskets with a 'bridge' between and a couple of smaller 'rubble' style bits under the bridge. Fish can swim through the baskets at the bottom and behind the bombies. Only one piece of LR (The big one at the top just left of center, behind the cleaner wrasse and blue tang) is touching the back (and that is a small area of weir it's leaning against) my aim with the scape was to provide maximum swimming space but still have plenty of room for corals etc and plenty of caves for hiding places. I am glad I went 2.5 foot wide as made this a LOT easier to do!

As for previous question on where I got the clowns from (sorry I missed it before!) I got them from Aquarium Warehouse in Springwood. They are not in the slightest aggressive and seem to get along with each other and everyone else. I haven't had any real aggression issues in the tank as yet apart from the initial establishing of pecking order when someone new is introduced. Generally about all I see is the occasional someone chasing someone else off, and normally this is just out of the general vicinity and not all around the tank.

Overall I am happy with the way things are shaping out, just need some more sand sifters (strombs, would love a rainfords goby, am not interested in cucumbers (I learned from a sea apple how bad cuke nukes can be) and don't want anything that sprays sand all over the shop like the gold headed sleeper gobies) I am also working on more corals slowly when I see ones I like and I can afford. I kind of like the white scoly, but it hasn't been eating anything I offer. Hoping it will at least get some nutrition from the coral foods I am putting in, being as bleached as it is I doubt it can get much sustenance from the light

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  ianqld on 23rd December 2010, 10:44 pm

Looking good Kit.
Have you got the other LED light working yet?

Ian
ianqld

Back to top Go down

Post  Kitiara on 24th December 2010, 12:34 am

yeah, I got the timer back from warranty ok. I currently have the light running on 2 banks of LEDS (one white & one blue) to get the corals on that side of the tank more used to the more intense lighting (particularly the bleached scoly) will adjust to the 3 banks shortly

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  Kitiara on 24th December 2010, 1:30 am

wandered past the tank and saw some white clouds, a closer look showed these were originating from my trochus snail. Shame I only have the one, more definately on my shopping list.

Wonder what made it so happy? I haven't done anything to the tank in a bit

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  Kitiara on 26th December 2010, 1:41 pm

I noticed today my cleaner wrasse has gone AWOL. It was fine last night when I fed them dinner but no sign this morning or all day. As it's normally swimming out in the open and eagerly investigates food when put in the tank I expect the worst. I doubt it is in the weir as have gutter guard over that so would be a very tight fit for it (can't see in the weir apart for the top couple of inches of water due to plumbing and distance from the side)

Looks like I am in the market for another cleaner :-(

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  Kitiara on 8th January 2011, 1:58 pm

some new corals and more pics. Also tried taking some with just the blue LEDS - I think I need to work on that some more though, looks so much better in real life

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  Kitiara on 21st April 2011, 2:19 pm

Been a while since I updated..... Lost a couple of corals since the last update. The heatwave we had in Feb caused everything to go downhill somewhat and I lost the brain (the chiller couldn't keep up, it was on 24/7 and the water temp still hovered on or over 30 degrees. The temp in the house itself didn't drop under 28 degrees (early morning)for approx 2 weeks and was normally warmer than that)

I also lost the green scoly. It had a gall grab which I removed, but it never really recovered and died shortly after.

My decorated goby departed to the big fish tank in the sky for unknown reasons. Found him dead one afternoon when I got home from work without a mark on him. Was fine when I went to work :-( currently looking for a replacement but they seem to be few and far between. I need some more sand sifters of the well behaved variety that don't relocate sand all over the place.

Current photos...

Full tank shot

Left side

Right side

Remember this scoly from earlier when it was white? It has been coloring up slowly. Looks to be red or brown with green. Still has a fair way to go yet though

Monty

What is this under the blasto? (dark purple and green plating coral) is it another monty?

Corals... including todays purchase of a red tiny Goni. Hopefully it does well - I was told it was a pup from a larger specimen they had sold so hopefully it may be a bit more tolerant of tank

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  fishnthings on 22nd April 2011, 4:33 pm

Your tanks looking great Kit .

fishnthings

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 23rd April 2011, 12:31 am

Very nice set up Kit, beautiful colours over all as well.
You are not wrong about the leds,they seem to be doing a top job with corals reaction to them via their fluorescing.
Hey I sent a message to Ian,to see if he wanted a small blue tang, it was a left over from a trip a few days ago, I havenít herd anything back, do you want it, your tank looks like a healthy spot for it?
I will be back on line around lunch, if you do want it,pm your number, it was in my old phone that crashed,badly,the tang is thumb nail size, so it wont last long in the system its in, see yah.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top