Kit's 4x2.5x2.7 (pic heavy)

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Kit's 4x2.5x2.7 (pic heavy)

Post  Kitiara on 23rd April 2011, 3:17 am

Thank you.

I already have a blue tang and they generally don't play well together. If it were a little bigger I would give it a try but it would be the smallest thing in the tank and possibly lunch. If desperate I could probably hold in my sump for a while until it gets rehomed

My fish list is almost complete, probably the only tang I would like would be an eyestripe. Other fish I am thinking on is a couple of small wrasse (fairy and/or china) and maybe a few anthias and a cleaner wrasse. Most of this wishlist will have to come from an LFS

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 23rd April 2011, 3:56 am

Thatís all right, I will drop it over to Marks place, it can hide in his coral from all the others until it is a bit bigger.
All those other species you mentioned were where we went the last couple of times, only fairy wrasse there though are the purple ones and plenty of young anthias,china wrasse and heaps of different tangs at the moment.
We are going for a swim next week we will keep our eyes open for one of them for you.
See yah.

Back to top Go down

Post  Kitiara on 28th August 2011, 11:40 am

Been a while since I updated. Time for some more pics.....

Some current photos

Right Side

Goni

Top Left

Front

Dallas Frag from Frag Fest

Scoly is slowly getting more color

Anemone from frag fest and my Clarkii's (the anemone is only about half expanded in this pic)

Top right - Acros. The purple acro was brown when I got it

Top left

Right side

Fluffy morphs, pocci and dallas

Left side

Royal Gramma and blue tang

Duncan, hammer and frogspawn

Flame Angel

Acan

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  trent@78 on 20th September 2011, 5:01 am

How cool is that leather up the top,my fav in an aquarium.

trent@78

Back to top Go down

Post  Kitiara on 20th September 2011, 10:39 am

That leather has nearly doubled it's size in the past 6 months. I am hoping it doesn't continue that way as it will shade too much of the tank!

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  Kitiara on 7th October 2011, 4:20 pm

for something a little different, a video
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  Hennessy on 27th October 2011, 9:32 am

Well done ! ! ! !

One of my favourite journals ever. I've been on another aquarium forum for a while now and have not seen anything that well done. What you achieved, even in the first 6 months is very impressive. I'm about to embark on my first marine mission and what I imagined is almost exactly what you've produced - even down to a lot of the particular corals and fishes you chose.

Can you tell us a bit more about your lights, watts, K/nm etc. And when you mentioned you made these, are we talking from scratch using LED strips and custom housing/fans etc?

Also, is placing fancy corals in desirable places on my live rock worth even trying since I'm told they wonder? How much did yours wonder and did you ever move them if you didn't like where they settled?

Finally, any chance we could see your sump as it is now? Or if not can you run me through the journey water makes going through your sump (media, skimmer type & position etc)?

Thanx for the inspiration, you've got yourself a disciple.

Hennessy

Back to top Go down

Post  finfan on 13th November 2011, 4:20 am

Love the vid - very cool and an awesome set up...... well done, keep the updates coming it great.

finfan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kitiara on 13th November 2011, 11:26 pm

Many thanks guys.

I didn't make the lights, they are BSLED lights purchased from China.

For the most part true corals do not wander, they stay where you put them regardless of whether it is an appropriate position or not. Anemonies and there close relatives (morphs etc) do have the ability to wander if they don't like where they are.

I'll see if I can get a pic of the sump sometime, but it's set up so water enters into the rear left which is currently filled with live rock pieces. Water then goes into the front left section which houses the skimmer then into the front right section which has a DSB (and normally Macro algae) The rear right section is the return and houses the pumps for the return and chiller (the return goes through a UV steralizer) The heater is also in this section

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  Dazza on 1st December 2011, 8:23 am

A pic of the sump would be cool Kitiara,thats so i can see what you have running your reef tank,so far it all looks top shelf cheers

Dazza

Back to top Go down

Post  Kitiara on 1st March 2014, 10:57 am

Been a while since I posted but not a lot had changed in the tank. Unfortunately on Thur my tank cooked. Got a message from hubby while I was on my way home from work saying "everything is dead and tank temp is 36" †I went home via the shop and picked up a few bags of ice and got myself home for a water change.

The issue seemed to be for some reason the heater had tripped and turned itself on (why, I don't know, it was set to come on if the tank got under 24, and the summer temp of the tank is 27 so no conflict there) The heater was stuck on. Not everything was dead, I could see a clown gasping in a corner and the yellow tang looking decidedly unhappy. All corals had melted/mostly melted, the CBS was dead, a clown and the china wrasse. Tank was milky and I couldn't see anything else I set in to do a large water change with the ice to drop the temp.

The temp on the chiller said 36 degrees, am not 100% sure at how accurate this was but the water was a nice warm/hot bath temp to touch. Not pleasant at all. After my waterchange (around 200L with the 3 bags of ice mixed in) the temp had dropped to 31, still too warm but I was hoping enough without shocking what was left too much with too big a change. Slowly I could see the clown and yellow tang improve, and the blue tang also came out from it's hole. Later that evening when the water had cleared a little I removed the corpses I could see (china wrasse, 1x clarkii and the cbs) I went to grab the yellow tail of the royal gramma i could see not moving, poking out of the rocks and it moved. Another survivor.

So far I have confirmed alive
yellow tang
blue tang
royal gramma
clarkii clown
rock boring urchin
gigantic bristle worm (about an inch wide, I have no idea on the length)
1 stromb snail
3+ hermit crabs

Confirmed dead
clarkii clown
china wrasse
coral banded shrimp
more snails than I can count

MIA
Dussumeri Tang
Flame angel
6 line wrasse

I am uncertain on whether the bubble tip anenome and 2 leather corals will survive. 1 leather has gone smooth, but is firm, the other (biggest) is shedding bigtime and I don't know how far it's going to go. The BTA is partially bleached, very wilty and has become partially unattached. Other corals are dead or almost so.

I am lucky to get out of it with as much alive as I did. Water parameters are pretty stuffed atm so am doing more waterchanges to get them under control (the MIA fish could very well be dead in the tank somewhere in the rockwork where I can't see or access, if so this will not help water conditions especially as the dussumeri was almost hand sized) I have found a replacement china wrasse which is currently in quarantine with a hammer and duncan coral waiting on water conditions in the main tank to settle but will have to replace a lot of corals and my fish :-(

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 1st March 2014, 11:52 am

Bummer Kit.
Its what we have to endure with this hobby at times hey!
Now when are coming to a meeting? †Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Kitiara on 1st March 2014, 12:47 pm

Yeah, it's heartbreaking though, especially as the CBS I lost was one of the original inhabitants of my first marine tank - so around 7 years I had it :-( I don't know how long they live for normally, but this one was doing well.

Meetings.... I should be at the next one. First meeting I was busy, second I had just lost a very good friend unexpectedly and really wasn't in the mood (apparent heart attack at 42, he wasn't overweight, didn't smoke, no prior heart issues etc etc) and the last meeting I had the flu and didn't feel like sharing (I'm still trying to cough my lungs out) Short of anything else cropping up unexpectedly (and I really hope not!) I'll be there next meeting

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 1st March 2014, 1:44 pm

42 thatís quite young hey.
If it wasnítí for my type 2 diabetes being diagnosed, I would be up for the same thing and more.
I had no idea till before then that blood sugar related issues account for so much misery and harms more people in so many ways then near anything else!
Sorry about your friend and hope to see you at the next meeting or when you can Kit.

Last edited by liquidg on 2nd March 2014, 6:19 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Kitiara on 1st March 2014, 1:55 pm

Yeah it was, and a big shock as he was as far as everyone knew (including him and his family) in good health. The day he died he was going to be moving in with his girlfriend, he'd just bought a new car a few weeks before, everything was finally looking up for him and suddenly he's gone. One of the nicest guys you'd ever meet. It was a very big funeral, we couldn't all fit in the chapel with the number of friends that showed up. It's still hard to believe he's gone :-(

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  finfan on 2nd March 2014, 1:26 am

Very sad....sorry for your losses.

SadSadSad

finfan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kitiara on 2nd March 2014, 1:43 am

thank you

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  Kitiara on 2nd March 2014, 12:21 pm

I can now confirm the flame angel is dead (it floated up from somewhere in the rocks during tonights water change) I also removed the anemone as it was starting to disintegrate. Still MIA is the dussumeri and the sixline

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top