Rock pool collecting and macro photography

Go down

Rock pool collecting and macro photography Empty Rock pool collecting and macro photography

Post  Kyle Morgan on 12th June 2011, 12:56 pm

Hello from Kingscliff NSW,when i am there. Very Happy

A query on oceanic fish collecting guys, while Iím here holidaying this weekend with relatives in Brisbane.

What are the laws on collecting in NSW and Queensland, I have looked at other forums and what I would like to do might be seen as detrimental to marine life.
I do have a reef aquarium and would like to possibly collect some additional life for my aquarium and include photography with my hobby.
I was hoping to achieve macro shots of different marine algae, sponges, and general invertebrate and fish species.
These would be common in rock pools in NSW and Queensland as I work my way along the coast,in time.
My intended undertaking would not be welcomed from what I have seen elsewhere and is said to be harmful to marine life.
What is your take on my plans and any help if you wouldnít mind?

Kyle Morgan

Back to top Go down

Rock pool collecting and macro photography Empty Re: Rock pool collecting and macro photography

Post  liquidg on 13th June 2011, 1:25 pm

Hi Kyle.

Kyle why would any of us here be bothered at your ideas for photos?

It sounds quite interesting to tell you the truth; the rock pool world can be quite diverse.

My parents used to live on the coast and I would enjoy laying in the shallow pools searching for different things to catch, especially on a hot day.

I would hope that the ones you donít intend on taking home to the aquarium would be carefully handled for the photos before returning them, no sense in harming them!

We have a very basic rule with our trips, if you move it, put it back as it was for the next seasons life forms, so many do not do this, we see this all the time .

The laws in NSW are, you need a permit to collect via netting, whether you are at low tide above the water, snorkelling (free diving) or on scuba from the Port Stevens fisheries office.

For any extraction of life from the ocean in NSW you need a fishing licence as well.

This is the contact info link at port Stevens, give them a call, they were always very helpful to me.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Do not have any gear near the water with out a permit, that will get you into trouble.

In Queensland in marine parks there is a limit of five creatures per 28 days you can collect, out side marine parks fisheries rules are there is no quantity applying, so as many as you like, but be sensible.

This is important, as of quite a few years back now, anemones were re classified as corals, so they are not allowed to be collected.

Good luck with your idea Kyle, sounds like a cool project.
cheers

Back to top Go down

Rock pool collecting and macro photography Empty Re: Rock pool collecting and macro photography

Post  Kyle Morgan on 16th June 2011, 6:43 am

Thank you for your reply and I mean that!
From the reply wording in this thread and I looked at another in this section, indicates you are quite passionate about the ocean and it seems open to understanding others ideas and actions, which is good for me!
I have used the contact details provided to me, the fisheries person Tahnya is the one to speak to and I know what is needed to carry out my ideas now.
Thank you again and I will keep in touch, one more thing, are there any places you would recommend for my intentions?

Kyle Morgan

Back to top Go down

Post  straddy boy on 16th June 2011, 8:06 am

Just me online at the moment.

The information on spots you are asking for will be personal messaged to you if we decide to pass them on.
We donít put information like that for all to see, keep them to your self, okay.
Numbers cause the damage and if many know where to go, some will not take care while there.
cheers
straddy boy
straddy boy

Back to top Go down

Rock pool collecting and macro photography Empty rockpools

Post  awc_rag on 24th July 2011, 10:07 am

hi ive just read some messages about places would someone beable to help me out would like to know more about where they are n what are green zones thanks
awc_rag
awc_rag

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down